• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina OKs ban on gender affirming care.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
And yet, being too late also makes the person incur a lot of issues. Do you even acknowledge those issues?
The best balance is in seeking a team of medical professionals that will go through multiple aspects before initiating hormonal therapy. But you want to prevent that from happening... at all.
you've never asked ;)

Yes, I understand those issues. But GAC is permanent, dangerous, and has no proven efficacy, do you acknowledge that?

icehorse

Premium Member
It means exactly what it says. Now go learn all this stuff you apparently learned and know so well you wrote a book about it. You sound no different than a YEC insisting the neo-Pagan before them is an atheist for not being Christian and assuring everyone, "yes I know all about biology and science" while every observer groans and some if them chuckle as this "educated" YEC says "its just a theory."
I tried, I really tried, to have a reasonable conversation with you, but once again you've proven you just can't do it.

Have a fine day.

icehorse

Premium Member
Then why do you talk as if they don't exist?
I have - across many months and many threads - repeatedly advocated for talk therapy.
Depends on what exactly you are talking about.
Fair point. Only the drugs and surgeries create permanent problems.

Same goes for not using gender-affiming care.
I'm okay with talk therapy.
What's your lastest source?
Here's a link to a recent thread. The OP has a list of current sources:

The evidence supporting "gender affirming care" is of very low reliability

icehorse

Premium Member
Do you find it impossible that one's genitalia
could be inconsistent with one's body?
I'm not trying to be evasive, but that's a very imprecise question. The first question that comes to mind is:

Inconsistent in what way(s)? It seems to me that GD is a mental condition, there are no known physical signs of GD. That's not to say it isn't serious, it is!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not trying to be evasive, but that's a very imprecise question. The first question that comes to mind is:

Inconsistent in what way(s)? It seems to me that GD is a mental condition, there are no known physical signs of GD. That's not to say it isn't serious, it is!
You say there are no known signs.
But this (even if correct) speaks only to the current level
of understanding & testing. Research will be illuminating.

flowerpower

From APnews: South Carolina House OKs ban on gender-affirming care for minors, Missouri panel sees similar bills
This bill blocks puberty blockers and hormones from minors, however as previously predicted, it was never just about minors.

"People under 26 could not use Medicaid to cover the costs for such care, and school employees could not withhold knowledge of a student’s transgender identity from their legal guardians."

Additionally, forcing schools to out LGBT youth to their parents is truly evil.

Good.

"Gender Affirming Care" is a disgusting and evil practice.

And it's on the uptick now.

I'm so glad that there is effective pushback against it in this form.

The people propagating and effectuating the concept need to be jailed for life.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I have - across many months and many threads - repeatedly advocated for talk therapy.

The physical and social consequences of undergoing a puberty can't be fixed through talk therapy though.

Fair point. Only the drugs and surgeries create permanent problems.

I'm okay with talk therapy.

Here's a link to a recent thread. The OP has a list of current sources:

The evidence supporting "gender affirming care" is of very low reliability

You mention meta-studies in your OP. Can you provide a link for them?

Treasure Hunter

The self is not downstream of brain activity, just like the self is not to be supplanted by gender identity.

The solution is to help people struggling with identity issues establish a relationship with their individuated self (IS). It is within the IS where healthier, more lasting forms of meaning can be found.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The self is not downstream of brain activity, just like the self is not to be supplanted by gender identity.

The solution is to help people struggling with identity issues establish a relationship with their individuated self (IS). It is within the IS where healthier, more lasting forms of meaning can be found.
I don't understand this.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
"Gender Affirming Care" is a disgusting and evil practice.
Dominant current in medical field disagrees. The patients themselves also unilaterally disagree.
The people propagating and effectuating the concept need to be jailed for life.
This level of polarization is very scary. I don't think that medical professionals should be punished based on your surface level understanding of trans healthcare.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do you find it impossible that one's genitalia
could be inconsistent with one's brain?
So glad you had the good sense to ask that question. It's strange that it seems so obvious to me and others, while many simply cannot grasp even the concept.

Research suggests that gender identity is likely influenced by a combination of biological, genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors, while assigned sex at birth is the responsibility of nothing but the hormones (testosterone, estrogen) present or absence during development. The brain and body do not develop at the same pace, and short-term hormonal or other disruptions may affect brain development, and then resolve, having no effect on sexual development of the body.

The brain plays a crucial role in shaping one's sense of gender identity, and studies have identified structural and functional differences in the brains of transgender individuals compared to cisgender individuals. However, the exact mechanisms and causes are still not fully understood.

icehorse

Premium Member
The physical and social consequences of undergoing a puberty can't be fixed through talk therapy though.
AFAIK there are no perfect solutions. But I believe that talk therapy is - statistically - a far, far, far better solution than drugs and surgeries.

You mention meta-studies in your OP. Can you provide a link for them?
Have you consumed the links I gave you? I believe meta-studies are referred to several times.

icehorse

Premium Member
I support such studies. But in the meantime, GAC as it stands, ought to be suspended.

flowerpower

Dominant current in medical field disagrees. The patients themselves also unilaterally disagree.

This level of polarization is very scary. I don't think that medical professionals should be punished based on your surface level understanding of trans healthcare.

Eh, I maybe need to think my response to this through.

But there's a reason why 2nd and 3rd world countries are cringing and laughing at us on this issue.

We've got it backward - and, once again, toxic capitalism is to blame: this time, it's preying on kids going through puberty and having identity issues. "Trans Healthcare" is nothing more than a pretty marketing brand.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Literally, just reporting what has happened is sufficient for them to be labelled "someone who has drunk the gender ideology koolaid".

I guarantee you will get nothing approaching an answer to this question.
Oh, all-wise one, are you suggesting that you know so very much better than the American Psychological Association, and the latter has "drunk the gender identity koolaid?" Where/how did you acquire this transcendental genius?

The foundational professional guideline for working with gender diverse persons acknowledges that, “Psychologists understand that gender is a nonbinary construct that allows for a range of gender identities and that a person’s gender identity may not align with sex assigned at birth.” (APA, 2015, p. 834).