• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina OKs ban on gender affirming care.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Do you believe that the phenotype
is entirely determined at conception?
Ref...

No, but I'm not sure how that's relevant?

icehorse

Premium Member
You made the claim.
Current science makes it dubious, given
that phenotypical changes aren't entirely
based upon genes present at conception.

I added more links in an edit.
you're talking about observable characteristics correct? Biological sex differences are frequently unobservable and many happen at the cellular level.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
you're talking about observable characteristics correct? Biological sex differences are frequently unobservable and many happen at the cellular level.
Phenotype would include things that you
might call unobservable. But what's unseen
10 years ago might be detectable today or
tomorrow, eg, gender dysphoria.
On top of this, such disorders can arise either
at conception or later.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Molecular Biology was my major at uni. All the gender ideologists are grasping at straws.
No, you just don't know ****s from dildos about what you're talking about. There are so many things that go on after conception that can influence sex that it's not accurate to say it happens during conception.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Oldest strategy in the book --- divide and conquer.
Also, authoritarians are always with the authorities, while libertarians are always with the oppressed. "Parents rights" are the right of the authority, while children's rights are those of the ones who have to follow authority ("oppressed" may fit only in special circumstances). LGBTQ+ are the ones who are oppressed and the authoritarians are naturally against them - as they were/are against non-whites, women and "heretics".
Guess who will be against the rights of animals or aliens or sentient AI when the discussion comes up.

icehorse

Premium Member
Phenotype would include things that you
might call unobservable. But what's unseen
10 years ago might be detectable today or
tomorrow, eg, gender dysphoria.
On top of this, such disorders can arise either
at conception or later.
At first glance that seems correct. But sex (male or female) is established at conception, and things like GD do not change that fact.

If you want to talk about gender, and gender stereotypes and such, that's fine, but they're separate from biological sex.

icehorse

Premium Member
Also, authoritarians are always with the authorities, while libertarians are always with the oppressed. "Parents rights" are the right of the authority, while children's rights are those of the ones who have to follow authority ("oppressed" may fit only in special circumstances). LGBTQ+ are the ones who are oppressed and the authoritarians are naturally against them - as they were/are against non-whites, women and "heretics".
Guess who will be against the rights of animals or aliens or sentient AI when the discussion comes up.
At this point - sadly - woke authoritarians are frequently the so-called "oppressors" :(

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At first glance that seems correct. But sex (male or female) is established at conception, and things like GD do not change that fact.
Do you find it impossible that one's genitalia
could be inconsistent with one's brain?
If you want to talk about gender, and gender stereotypes and such, that's fine, but they're separate from biological sex.
I'm not addressing stereotypes.
(Not the same as phenotypes, even though they rhyme.)

icehorse

Premium Member
No, you just don't know dicks from dildos about what you're talking about. There are so many things that go on after conception that can influence sex that it's not accurate to say it happens during conception.
what does "influence sex" mean?

icehorse

Premium Member
Do you find it impossible that one's genitalia
could be inconsistent with one's brain?
ONLY for the sake of discussion*, let's say that's possible..

Sex (male/female) is baked into every cell in the body, it's not restricted to genitalia.

* This is a complex topic and your question isn't precise enough to work from.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
That's a question I'm still thinking about. But since it IS such a thorny question, that seems like yet another reason to suspend GAC.

Why? What does that have to do with what I asked?

What I can say though is that I think a lot of premature, misdiagnosing happens. Many kids with GD grow out of it as they pass through puberty. So being too quick to label a kid "trans" seems like a big issue.

And yet, being too late also makes the person incur a lot of issues. Do you even acknowledge those issues?
The best balance is in seeking a team of medical professionals that will go through multiple aspects before initiating hormonal therapy. But you want to prevent that from happening... at all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
what does "influence sex" mean?
It means exactly what it says. Now go learn all this stuff you apparently learned and know so well you wrote a book about it. You sound no different than a YEC insisting the neo-Pagan before them is an atheist for not being Christian and assuring everyone, "yes I know all about biology and science" while every observer groans and some if them chuckle as this "educated" YEC says "its just a theory."