• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrorist attack in Paris: 12 dead, 7 injured

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The reference - "a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires" - is in the verse beginning at 2:39 on the vid. But it needs to be heard in context i.e. the whole song.

I can't face listening to any songs.
You said you can't see Bush and Obama being up to the task of such conspiracies.
I said that the
85 people who possesss the equivalent wealth of 3,5 billion people may just have the wherewithall.
Or some "loose affiliation" of that cohort.

What was the conspiracy they concocted & carried out? What evidence is there?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's some significant "activity" now going on just n.e. of Paris as over 70 police officers and several police helicopters have descended on a small town there.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Absolutely, and a large part of the problem in France and some other countries there is that the Middle Eastern community that live there comprises the poorest in their society, has the highest crime rate by far, and feel unwanted. However, I'm not making any excuses for some using terrorism, whereas non-violent protest would be a far better way of making their voice heard.
Right....after education....their communities need....economic stimulus....and job creation.....good chance they will get that in France...:roll eyes:

apophenia

Absolutely.

Thank you.

B F Skinner, the famous behaviorist, was asked, in relation to the widespread public distaste for his ideas, how he felt about getting so little approval.

He answered "I don't need a lot of approval. It is a matter of scheduling"

:D

metis

Right....after education....their communities need....economic stimulus....good chance they will get that in France...:roll eyes:
Actually the French are quite good in trying to use techniques to stimulate more employment, but the trouble lies that their economic system in general is inadequate in being able to handle globalization-- and they ain't alone.

metis

I do think that these problems of jihadi extremism will only eventually be resolved by the moderate Islamic majority.
That is where a significant part of the disappointment lies, namely in not enough pushback of terrorists within the Islamic community itself. If there were massive Islamic demonstrations against terrorism, this would likely have the effect of making such activities less popular. Social pressure is often more effective than just passing more laws.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Actually the French are quite good in trying to use techniques to stimulate more employment, but the trouble lies that their economic system in general is inadequate in being able to handle globalization-- and they ain't alone.
What French products are world class...other than wine and cheese...???...they have a tourist based economy...!!!....and they are highly nationalistic.....perhaps second only to....Germany....!!!

Metis...I know you have French heritage....that will be conflicting....;)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I do think that these problems of jihadi extremism will only eventually be resolved by the moderate Islamic majority.

I don't know about "only", as nobody's ever been "only". Primarily, though, yes.

I think, like every time before, there's deeper things going on than simple religious zeal. ...and by "deeper", I mean psychologically, not some Illuminati plot.

That is where a significant part of the disappointment lies, namely in not enough pushback of terrorists within the Islamic community itself. If there were massive Islamic demonstrations against terrorism, this would likely have the effect of making such activities less popular. Social pressure is often more effective than just passing more laws.

How do we know there aren't? I don't exactly trust that most media would widely report on them.

metis

How do we know there aren't? I don't exactly trust that most media would widely report on them.

Such events would definitely be reported, especially when such major events happen and are followed by so many worldwide. BTW, even some Islamic scholars have stated much the same, and there are some within these communities that have been at least trying to do as such.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Such events would definitely be reported, especially when such major events happen and are followed by so many worldwide. BTW, even some Islamic scholars have stated much the same, and there are some within these communities that have been at least trying to do as such.

I'm sure they'd be reported, but that's why I specified "widely". It doesn't really matter if something gets reported at all if it doesn't circulate.

Media outlets aren't going to spend a lot of time reporting on boring things that don't draw in readers, such as massive decries from Muslims.

How much media attention is "Je Suis Charlie" getting?

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Jesus and the Christian God have been satirised extensively, but I haven't noticed any Christian fundamentalists bombing trains, massacring children, murdering journalists, beheading hostages and so on. Admittedly though Christianity has had longer to become civilised.
Atheists are pretty good now also.
Perhaps the problem here is as was hinted on the News, the problems between religion and the secular world.
They want to ridicule who they want, but some will not stand for it, so Dont do it! Is that difficult?

metis

I'm sure they'd be reported, but that's why I specified "widely". It doesn't really matter if something gets reported at all if it doesn't circulate.

Media outlets aren't going to spend a lot of time reporting on boring things that don't draw in readers, such as massive decries from Muslims.

How much media attention is "Je Suis Charlie" getting?
Yesterday, it was announced that several Muslim countries have officially condemned the French terrorists, which is less spectacular than having demonstrations of tens or hundreds of thousands of Muslims protesting terrorism.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Yesterday, it was announced that several Muslim countries have officially condemned the French terrorists, which is less spectacular than having demonstrations of tens or hundreds of thousands of Muslims protesting terrorism.

I remember one time during Egypt's revolution that a group of Muslims stood outside a Christian Church to protect them. And then the favor was returned.

Wirey

Fartist
Atheists are pretty good now also.
Perhaps the problem here is as was hinted on the News, the problems between religion and the secular world.
They want to ridicule who they want, but some will not stand for it, so Dont do it! Is that difficult?

Yes! Be silent when you disagree with something! That's how freedom works!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm not convinced that Muslims en mass have a responsibility to be spectacular for 'our' sake. I do know that there was a #JeSuisCharlie vigil in Chicago yesterday and that I heard about it by way of a Muslim acquaintance who is very influential in a large suburban mosque.

Wirey

Fartist
So you think we should ridicule and s-d the consequences? If so, that is the kinda thinking that got these people killed!

It's also the kind of thinking that ended British rule in America and the Nazis. Dragging evil into the light so it can't hide is the entire purpose of civilization. If they can hide behind "Point out I'm beheading sorcerers and I'll come get you" they win the whole planet eventually.

Flankerl

The Problem arent the Muslims outside of France/Europe. The Problem are those inside.

Yesterday evening in Besancon the local Muslim youth celebrated the murderers with fireworks.
When the police arrived the Allahu Akbar screams intensified. They threw stones at the police and pledged to kill more people.

It doesn't bring anything if Muslims in Tunesia, Egypt, Indonesia or on the Moon condemned these attacks.
What is important is the reaction of those inside the EU. And it doesn't look good there.