• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas - Terrible abortion law doing what Republicans said it wouldn't do

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I won't take it personally.
Nor should you take anything personally.

People have their opinions and views , and I respect that aside from the points and counterpoint themselves.

Hate the issue, but not the person.

That's what it's all about or should be.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Everything and the kitchen sink in your rambling prose except for any discussion based on the merits of this specific case.
I am neither interested in nor qualified to comment on the merits of the case. Like almost everybody else posting but you, I am interested in the larger issues that have led to this unfortunate moment for this woman.

Also, that rambling prose as you called it rebutted two comments of yours: "They always have been able to make that decision by choosing to whether have sex and how" and "no one can exercise a right by taking the life of another human." Can we assume that you aren't interested in what others have to say?
This woman petitioned the court for an abortion under justifications not supported by law. The judge's decision is not based on legislated law. It is that simple
You'd like the discussion to be limited to that bit of minutia only. You'd like the larger issues ignored. But you don't control the conversation and aren't actually having much influence on it because of your interest in containing it and how it precludes you from discussing matters of interest to others. It's similar to what the gun people do after a mass killing to limit the discussion to exclude the larger issues.
She made the decision to get pregnant. She did that by her own free will
Yes, and now she'd like the freedom to get unpregnant as an act of free will, but Texas doesn't want to allow her.
Is there a problem? She chose to get pregnant and now doesn't like a natural consequence she didn't consider or chose to ignore.
Your ethics are very off-putting. She didn't choose THIS kind of pregnancy. You're blaming her for this natural misadventure. You think that she should have considered this before getting pregnant and done what? Not have the baby? Move to a more liberated state? Sorry, but that's medieval thinking. The humanist vision for society allows her the freedom to make those choices for herself with the support of a physician.
I just had to watch my wife almost die from her pregnancy complications and y'all are over here arguing ****ing semantics over a nigh dead fetus.
Sorry about your wife. What most of us are arguing is much more substantial than semantics.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Sure, they have their faults.
My point was that opposition to abortion
rights is primarily a fundie Christian thing.
It's necessary to say this because it's often
denied.
True. Just as it's swept under the rug and not mentioned that more Christian get abortions than atheists and agnostics.

Clizby Wampuscat

A pregnant Texas mother of two got a court order allowing her to have a medically necessary abortion, but Texas state officials are threatening the judge, hospital, and doctors involved with prosecution, fines, and licensure removal. See story for details.

She could have had the abortion already if she traveled to New Mexico. If she cannot afford it there are plenty of organizations that will pay for her travel expenses. If it is so dire why wait and sue Texas?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
She could have had the abortion already if she traveled to New Mexico. If she cannot afford it there are plenty of organizations that will pay for her travel expenses. If it is so dire why wait and sue Texas?
She's too sick from the pregnancy to travel.

crossfire

Premium Member
What is your evidence for this claim?
"Cox did not consider traveling to another state because she was in the middle of a health crisis and was worried about her condition, according to Duane. When she got a diagnosis for her baby, the CRR had just been in court defending its lawsuit over the Texas bans, so she reached out to them, according to Duane."

The article in the OP also states she's already been to the ER four times for complications from this pregnancy.

Last edited:

Clizby Wampuscat

"Cox did not consider traveling to another state because she was in the middle of a health crisis and was worried about her condition, according to Duane. When she got a diagnosis for her baby, the CRR had just been in court defending its lawsuit over the Texas bans, so she reached out to them, according to Duane."

The article in the OP also states she's already been to the ER four times for complications from this pregnancy.
Did a doctor say she cannot travel?

This seems to me the exact reason to have an exception. She should be allowed to have the abortion in this instance.

crossfire

Premium Member
Did a doctor say she cannot travel?

This seems to me the exact reason to have an exception. She should be allowed to have the abortion in this instance.
She's certainly not in any shape to drive herself to New Mexico, since anyone driving her there for an abortion would be subject to prosecution.

Also, the Texas Attorney General, Ken Paxton, is one evil SOB for threatening not only Mrs. Cox's doctor, but also the three hospitals where her doctor has admission privileges with prosecution. From the article in the OP:
On Thursday, Travis County District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble granted that request, handing down a temporary restraining order allowing Ms Cox to terminate her pregnancy, and protecting her doctor from civil and criminal penalties if she performs the procedure.
"The idea that Ms Cox wants desperately to be a parent, and this law might actually cause her to lose that ability, is shocking and would be a genuine miscarriage of justice," Judge Gamble, a Democrat, said.
Lawyers for the state may ask a higher court to block the order.
After the court order was issued, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton sent a letter to three hospitals where Ms Cox's doctor has admitting privileges. In it, he threatened to prosecute anyone who is involved in providing an emergency abortion to Ms Cox, saying that he believes she failed to prove she qualifies for one.
Mr Paxton said that Judge Gamble's order "will not insulate hospitals, doctors, or anyone else, from civil and criminal liability for violating Texas' abortion laws".

I would like to see Mr Paxton's medical credentials. {Oh, that's right! Lawyers are not doctors! Doctors are not lawyers, and should not have to lawyer up to avoid being bullied by some evil yahoo for simply doing their jobs as physicians!}