• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang Theory is dead.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I guess it depends on who is defining it. So let me ask you if you think everything outside the firmament of the earth is considered to be the universe, but the earth is no part of the universe. Do I have this correct about what you said?
What "firmament"?

I am talking about the really real Earth, not some poorly interpreted Biblical version of it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Ok not firmament. Are you saying the earth is no part of the universe?
I am saying the earth and the universe are two different things.

Yes, one in contained within the other, but they are not synonyms.

My apologies.
It just dawned on me that the confusion here is my use of the word "separate".
I was not using the word to mean 'apart from one another'
i was using it to mean 'different"

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I am saying the earth and the universe are two different things.

Yes, one in contained within the other, but they are not synonyms.

My apologies.
It just dawned on me that the confusion here is my use of the word "separate".
I was not using the word to mean 'apart from one another'
i was using it to mean 'different"
Ok thanks.

YoursTrue

What "firmament"?

I am talking about the really real Earth, not some poorly interpreted Biblical version of it.
When I used the word firmament I meant the round or slightly elliptical ball called Earth.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So you know that the universe came to be from...0?
We know how planets like the earth formed. This is very different than knowing where the universe came from. We can see planets being formed today.

So, yes, we know the earth was not formed from water. For one thing, that just isn’t how water works.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess it depends on who is defining it. So let me ask you if you think everything outside the firmament of the earth is considered to be the universe, but the earth is no part of the universe. Do I have this correct about what you said?
There is no firmament. Yet another thing the Bible gets wrong.

The earth is part of the universe but did not form at the same time as the universe as a whole. The universe started about 13.8 billion years ago and the earth formed about 4.5 billion years ago. So the earth is about one third the age of the universe.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
When I used the word firmament I meant the round or slightly elliptical ball called Earth.
Hmmm. That isn’t what the term means in the Bible, where it is supposed to separate the waters above from those below. That isn’t what the round ball of the earth does.

YoursTrue

Hmmm. That isn’t what the term means in the Bible, where it is supposed to separate the waters above from those below. That isn’t what the round ball of the earth does.
Firmament I always thought of it as a round ball or something like that which was solid. Guess I was wrong..

YoursTrue

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there anything in the Bible you find reasonable and/or good? I'm not going to argue over definitions then and now. Science keeps changing its viewpoint anyway. 'Incredible implications': Scientists re-write the book on where Earth's water came from

Nothing that is unique or even original to the Bible. The idea of loving others is a good one, but hardly original to the Bible.

I just finished reading the Bible (again) and found it a strange mix of myth, propaganda, bad poetry, xenophobia, and appalling moral views.

YoursTrue

Is
And that is quite different than the earth being formed from water.

Furthermore, did you notice they didn’t actually measure water content of those rocks? They measured hydrogen instead. Not incredibly rigorous.
I understand better now your view. Thank you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Anyway I was looking up about water. And ..science is changing it's popular viewpoint maybe. Depends. 'Incredible implications': Scientists re-write the book on where Earth's water came from
Okay, I see that you are confused here. Yes, where Earth got its water from has been up for debate. But that does not mean that Earth was formed from water. Even as big as the oceans may seem to you water is only about .02% of the Earth's total mass. The oceans are just a thin skin of water on the surface of the Earth. You need to remember that the Earth is a sphere of mostly solid rock that is roughly 8,000 miles in diameter. The heaviest stuff sinks to the center. The Earth's core is made from that most iron and nickel. The mantle is made of various types of iron rich silicates. And the crust is mostly lighter weight silicates. All of those are denser than water. So the water sits on top of everything, except where land sticks up above it.

YoursTrue

Okay, I see that you are confused here. Yes, where Earth got its water from has been up for debate. But that does not mean that Earth was formed from water. Even as big as the oceans may seem to you water is only about .02% of the Earth's total mass. The oceans are just a thin skin of water on the surface of the Earth. You need to remember that the Earth is a sphere of mostly solid rock that is roughly 8,000 miles in diameter. The heaviest stuff sinks to the center. The Earth's core is made from that most iron and nickel. The mantle is made of various types of iron rich silicates. And the crust is mostly lighter weight silicates. All of those are denser than water. So the water sits on top of everything, except where land sticks up above it.

You're having a problem understanding language.usage because your reference actually confirms what the Bible says.