• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The birth of the state of Israel and God's promise in the end times

The birth of Israel

• Total voters

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
No, I don't.
Maybe you could tweak that sentence with Debate Slayer.
Your request is done , this is perfect English :

God transcends time, so he can talk to us using any tense. It doesn't make a difference to him because he created time, so he is not bound by time like we are.

rosends

God transcends time, so he can talk to us using any tense. It doesn't make a difference to him because he created time, so he is not bound by time like we are.
does this mean that ANY use of tense in the text is completely arbitrary and meaningless and we can not learn anything from the particular tense choice?

Tumah

Veteran Member

Thank you for that. It really made a huge difference.
I understand that G-d transcends time. But if He arbitrarily switches between tenses, its renders the Qur'an meaningless because any given statement might be about the past, present or future. G-d is timeless, but He speaks to the timebound. If He doesn't write in a way that we can understand then there is no point to the Qur'an.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Thank you for that. It really made a huge difference.
I understand that G-d transcends time. But if He arbitrarily switches between tenses, its renders the Qur'an meaningless because any given statement might be about the past, present or future. G-d is timeless, but He speaks to the timebound. If He doesn't write in a way that we can understand then there is no point to the Qur'an.
God can speak by tense of time He want , you asked why He used past tense (to mention to future) so I explained .

this is second sentence of Torah :
Now the earth was astonishingly empty, and darkness was on the face of the deep, and the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water.

Can you please explain to me , why God used past tense after NOW ?

Tumah

Veteran Member
God can speak by tense of time He want , you asked why He used past tense (to mention to future) so I explained .

this is second sentence of Torah :
Now the earth was astonishingly empty, and darkness was on the face of the deep, and the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water.

Can you please explain to me , why God used past tense after NOW ?
Sure, someone stuck it in there when they were translating it to make it flow better in English.

Of course G-d can speak in any tense He wants. I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be a very good idea since we need tenses to match their time frames.

rosends

Religious Jews are asked about the Talmud

PLEASE scroll the video to 16:36

Many Jews believe in it
wow. I really enjoyed how you skipped over all the other stuff to find that discussion of one vision of the relationship between Jews and non-Jews in future messianic times. Really convinces me that you have a handle on what many Jews today believe about life. Well done.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
wow. I really enjoyed how you skipped over all the other stuff to find that discussion of one vision of the relationship between Jews and non-Jews in future messianic times. Really convinces me that you have a handle on what many Jews today believe about life. Well done.
I am skipped what ? lol

I hope you enjoyed the video .

Tumah

Veteran Member
Ok , why you think , Jews whom translated the Torah , make mistake in tense , especially in second sentence of Torah ?
I already answered that. They did it because it makes the verses flow better in English and doesn't detract from the basic meaning on the verse.

Flankerl

Religious Jews are asked about the Talmud

PLEASE scroll the video to 16:36

Many Jews believe in it

So after all the websites about "Talmud Quotes" your kind of people are now even making such videos.

Its like you literally have no other hobbies.

But hey you are who you are. We've been over this in how many threads? And you probably still haven't read the Talmud, or even gone to the library to read up on the first Algerian citizenship law.

rosends

I am skipped what ? lol

I hope you enjoyed the video .
If you say "I am skipped" then the word skipped must operate as a predicate adjective (think "I am sad" where "sad" modifies the subject of the sentence because it follows a linking verb). While there are rare instances in which "skipped" can serve as an adjective, this is not clearly one of them. So, no, "YOU" are not skipped. But you skipped (with skipped as the verb) entire chunks of this video in order to get to the point which you then misunderstand. Your English is not good enough for you to try and glean meaning from a video like this. You should try something simpler.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
It looks like that to me as well :)

Later, to the children of Israel We said, "Inhabit the earth till the promise of the afterlife is fulfilled. Then, We will bring you out as a crowd."(17:104)

When did the Jews scatter on earth, the verse is saying that they'll be gathered in the promise of the afterlife, hence
the promise wasn't yet coming, but has to come.

The verse is very clear that the plan is for a future event which has yet to come and yet to be fulfilled.