• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Health Care Bill Passes!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I was injured at my job, which happened to be the military. The VA acts like workman's comp, but for military members. The military could have opted to pay into a workman's comp insurance policy to cover such incidents, but they chose not to. They understand that it is more cost effective to save the money they would have spent on premiums and use it to pay a direct benefit. This is just like someone choosing not to purchase health insurance and paying for their own medical bills instead.

No, it's not, but thanks. It's like the VA setting itself up as its own health insurer.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I already work 2 - 3 months straight while disabled without seeing my family to make ends meet. How much more do you think I should be working? To be honest I go through some pain many here probably can't imagine. I will not be able to work much longer.

I think you should figure out whether the bill is going to cost you money or save you money, before screaming broke, but that's just me.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Matt, this will be my 7th cancer operation so far. The last one in the states cost me 35,000 seven years ago. This time, it was almost half that.

I'm sorry, this doesn't actually answer my question. I know about your cancer. Are you saying going to India is saving you that much money? And in that case, aren't you saying there's a problem with our healthcare system here?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Good idea. Let's stop charging me income tax so that I can afford to mess around with this silly health insurance deal. Actually if we paid no taxes then we could all afford to pay for even the most expensive surgeries out of pocket.

Still, nobody here has been able to tell me how letting my house get foreclosed on in favor of my family getting health insurance will help them get healthcare. Can anyone please explain?
We're waiting for you to show how this bill would cost you a single penny first.

yes, let's eliminate all taxes, police, fire-fighters, schools, libraries, roads...

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
What statement? That people will be sobered?
The one about health providers ceasing to provide healthcare. Had you clicked the provided link you would have seen that.

Hey I have to get up at 12:45AM so I can provide what I can for my family so I need to step out of this debate for today. For those of you that I offended, I didn't mean to. I did not single anyone out as a bottom feeder. I actually stated that I don't know everyone's situation and some may actually be in need. I just know that many people have no desire to work to get ahead. They will fight for handouts because it is easier than going to work. As an American I am entitled to that opinion. Prove me wrong. I really wish you would.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Thank you for proving my point. Almost everyone needs...

What about the people that do not need it at some point? Will the government print more fiat currency to reimburse them for the service that they were forced to purchase? I think not. Insurance may make you feel comfy. To me it is a form of gambling.

Who should pay for your family when they do need medical care?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Still, nobody can tell me how my family being forced to buy insurance will somehow give you free healthcare. Come on, all you experts. I am dying to see how this works.

No one has claimed that it will. What I'm saying is, I have a strong suspicion that this bill will help your family.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I'm sorry, this doesn't actually answer my question. I know about your cancer. Are you saying going to India is saving you that much money? And in that case, aren't you saying there's a problem with our healthcare system here?
Careful, you may unintentionally chase him out of the thread if you throw to much reality his way.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The one about health providers ceasing to provide healthcare. Had you clicked the provided link you would have seen that.
No, I haven't clicked the link.

So you're predicting we will have a shortage of doctors and hospital beds as a result of this bill?

How soon?

Hey I have to get up at 12:45AM so I can provide what I can for my family so I need to step out of this debate for today. For those of you that I offended, I didn't mean to. I did not single anyone out as a bottom feeder. I actually stated that I don't know everyone's situation and some may actually be in need. I just know that many people have no desire to work to get ahead. They will fight for handouts because it is easier than going to work. As an American I am entitled to that opinion. Prove me wrong. I really wish you would.[/quote]

So, just to be clear, no, you don't want to look at the facts? You don't want to find out whether this bill would cost you money or not, you just want to scream that it will? Is that right?

Because if I were concerned about something costing me money, I would click on a link to find out whether it does or not.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

Yes, I have been saying there is a problem with health care. The problems I have are different however. A friend of mine is going to the Bahamas to have a procedure done that is not approved in the states. He has prostate cancer and they are doing some sort of ultrasound blasting on him. His doctor is American. They both are going out of the country for the procedure.

I'm having robotic surgery this fall. So to answer your question, yes it is cheaper. I do not have the right to sue for malpractice. I voluntarily waived that right and pre-paid my expenses at a considerable discount.

I choose what I get and when, not the insurance companies. I could go to the VA, but I truly believe I would be dead if I depended on them for my care.

no-body

I will accept a donation from you in the sum of $117 per month toward my family's new insurance obligation. Not interested? Then stop telling me how wonderful it is that I will be forced to spend my money. It is MY money, not Obama's. If he wants to give extra money to the healthcare industry then he can give HIS money, not mine. I have no interest.

OK but only if you sign a waiver saying you won't take any tax credits you'll receive and still have to pay the taxes on any money that this bill would have saved in catching health problems before they get out of hand.

Amill

Apikoros

Hey I have to get up at 12:45AM so I can provide what I can for my family so I need to step out of this debate for today. For those of you that I offended, I didn't mean to. I did not single anyone out as a bottom feeder. I actually stated that I don't know everyone's situation and some may actually be in need. I just know that many people have no desire to work to get ahead. They will fight for handouts because it is easier than going to work. As an American I am entitled to that opinion. Prove me wrong. I really wish you would.
So we should let the children of the slackers rot?

I personally didn't like the idea of it being mandatory at first, then I thought about the kids that didn't have a choice in the matter. I think it should at least be mandatory to have coverage for them.

As a person with severe hemophilia, I require a regular (usually weekly) treatment in which I inject the blood-clotting protein I am missing. I need this to live. It's extraordinarily expensive. The private insurers won't cover it. Small businesses can't afford to pay the premiums. My only option is to be employed by an institution that BOTH (1) has an adequate insurance plan, with no lifetime cap on coverage, and (2) is large enough to absorb the cost. I also have to be very careful with my own money, since as a graduate student making ~$25,000 / year, about 16% of my income will go to pay my premiums alone, as soon as I am dropped from my parents' coverage. It's stressful trying to finagle things so that it will all work out and I will never have a gap in coverage even for ONE DAY, or else I will be doomed to the land of "pre existing conditions".

Getting rid of "pre existing conditions" is something that I am personally thankful for, and it demonstrates the kind of society we want to live in.

A society which, by the way, is going to lower the deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars thanks to this legislation.

I'm also happy about the federal insurance exchanges, it sounds like these will give me a way to get insurance in case my employer cannot afford or does not offer adequate coverage, and without having to deal with insurers one-on-one, which is impossible for me because they will reject my application. I hope there is a way for me to get insurance that way with no lifetime cap.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
As a person with severe hemophilia, I require a regular (usually weekly) treatment in which I inject the blood-clotting protein I am missing. I need this to live. It's extraordinarily expensive. The private insurers won't cover it. Small businesses can't afford to pay the premiums. My only option is to be employed by an institution that BOTH (1) has an adequate insurance plan, with no lifetime cap on coverage, and (2) is large enough to absorb the cost. I also have to be very careful with my own money, since as a graduate student making ~$25,000 / year, about 16% of my income will go to pay my premiums alone, as soon as I am dropped from my parents' coverage. It's stressful trying to finagle things so that it will all work out and I will never have a gap in coverage even for ONE DAY, or else I will be doomed to the land of "pre existing conditions".

Getting rid of "pre existing conditions" is something that I am personally thankful for, and it demonstrates the kind of society we want to live in.

A society which, by the way, is going to lower the deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars thanks to this legislation.

I'm also happy about the federal insurance exchanges, it sounds like these will give me a way to get insurance in case my employer cannot afford or does not offer adequate coverage, and without having to deal with insurers one-on-one, which is impossible for me because they will reject my application. I hope there is a way for me to get insurance that way with no lifetime cap.
I've read so much about this plan over the last week that I don't have a link regarding this specific aspect but I'm nearly certain that if you're under 26, you can now continue to be covered on your parent's insurance.

Yes, that was my understanding too, I'm happy about that also!

I think it's a step in the right direction. I am just appalled at how pathetic conservatives have been on this issue, for the most part. Huge concessions were made, they axed the public option, a federal exchange where insurers can "compete across state lines" is a bipartisan idea, expanding Medicaid and getting rid of pre-existing conditions is a bipartisan idea. The whining and the delusional paranoia coming from conservatives has just been flabbergasting.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I am just appalled at how pathetic conservatives have been on this issue, for the most part. Huge concessions were made, they axed the public option, a federal exchange where insurers can "compete across state lines" is a bipartisan idea, expanding Medicaid and getting rid of pre-existing conditions is a bipartisan idea. The whining and the delusional paranoia coming from conservatives has just been flabbergasting.

I've wondered about this, too. The health care bill that was just passed has gone through the ringer in terms of bi-partisan debate.

By the way, I just want to point out, society is not going to pay any more for my medicine than it was already paying, before the legislation passed. I am not looking for a handout or charity. It has long been the case in the U.S. that people with bleeding disorders always get their medicine, one way or another. In the previous system, as long as I can get my hands on coverage, and as long as I pay my (expensive, but not ruinous) premiums, the insurance company ends up covering about 99% of the cost of my medicine. Now, if I had any gap in coverage, then I would have a "pre existing condition" and then I might have to sell everything I own and devote all my income to paying my medicine, in order to qualify for Medicaid or some other program. But in that case, I STILL would only be able to pay maybe 8% of the cost, it would pay for my medicine for about 30 days, Medicaid would have to pick it up from then on, and that situation would only last for up to two years, after which the "pre existing condition" would be reset and I could no longer be denied private insurance (if it's available). So, under the old system, I incur the risk and stress of possibly being utterly ruined financially, and society saves a few negligible bucks and basically loses an otherwise productive member of society (and handsome, I might add ;) ). And, I emphasize, the same thing could happen to you if your child is born with a disorder.

Under the new system, I don't risk financial ruin and the only conceivable "cost" to society is that it won't be relieved of its meager burden to pay my medicine for about 30 days out of my whole life. And, people have piece of mind that if THEIR child is born with a disorder, they will get coverage in return for paying their taxes and their insurance.

That's the deal. I think it's not only humane, but smart, especially when we're saving money.

Did anyone point out that this bill removes an *exception* that was put in place by the Bush administration, which exempts income earned on capital gains from paying the Medicare (or is it Medicaid) tax?

I suspect this is one of the most important aspects of the bill, which rich conservatives don't want anyone to talk about.

This amounts to a tax increase on capital gains by about 4% if I remember correctly. Working people with taxable wages already pay this tax, so why should Wall Street be exempt? Imagine how many poor or elderly people, who pay their fair share of taxes, could be covered by this. This must amount to billions of dollars. It's a huge increase in taxes on the richest Americans. I believe many people on Wall Street would kill for less, and I think that's the root of all the hysteria. Guys like Steve Forbes are worried they'll have to sell ANOTHER one of their private French chateaus, or perhaps one of their Caribbean islands. Such tyranny! Those are the people spreading the lies and misinformation to whip up the Tea Party - types into an irrational and self-defeating frenzy.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Those are the people spreading the lies and misinformation to whip up the Tea Party - types into an irrational and self-defeating frenzy.
What!?

You mean to say that not all of the tea-party crowd are completely informed with the really real truth?