• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You know how to pick em...
This was a roommate.

He was down on his luck, and we gave him the money to travel to come stay with us. Cleaned out our savings(which was a few hundred bucks) to do so.

We were quite poor then, and many of our bowls were reused tubs(like sour cream tubs, or butter tubs that I'd just wash and reuse).

After his arrival, he said he was hungry. I offered him some cereal(he could eat that, surprisingly). He took me up on it, and I brought it to him. He looked at it as if I'd handed him a turd sandwich. "This... is not a bowl. This... is a butter tub." Well, its what we had, and he could use it or have nothing. He rolled his eyes and ate it, but I realized at that moment things weren't going to go well. (And they didn't.)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
And here in Ohio, we don't have many Pacific Islanders and you'd have to really look for Spam.
You can get it in any grocery store around here, even before the Pacific Islanders started immigrating here.

Think most of them are from the Marshall Islands, though we do have neighbors from Guam.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Time to meet with the retirement folks and see how much longer this needs to go on...... 1, 2 or 3 years.....
I never realized the number of decisions retirement requires until I went through it. For example, one level of retirement advice was not available unless I put some money into an annuity. So I put the minimum in because I knew inflation would eat it up which is what the Bank was and is counting on.

Then there was a set of health care decisions: Medicare but which level? I had not even known there were multiple levels. Medigap? Which insurance company and what offerings that I had to decide between.

Social security: take it at retirement or wait until it maxed out which means that at age 66 I had to bet on living to 80 to make it worthwhile to wait.

And so forth.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You can get it in any grocery store around here, even before the Pacific Islanders started immigrating here.

Think most of them are from the Marshall Islands, though we do have neighbors from Guam.
My daughter lived in Guam (on Guam) for about three years and my son lived there with his Korean wife for about 9 years! And yes, Spam was pretty ubiquitous!

Kathryn

Not only all that retirement stuff, but try becoming a widow at age 58! For instance, I believe you can start drawing SS at age 60 but you can't remarry till age 65 I don't believe. But full retirement for me is not till age 67! It's all crazy.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I never realized the number of decisions retirement requires until I went through it. For example, one level of retirement advice was not available unless I put some money into an annuity. So I put the minimum in because I knew inflation would eat it up which is what the Bank was and is counting on.

Then there was a set of health care decisions: Medicare but which level? I had not even known there were multiple levels. Medigap? Which insurance company and what offerings that I had to decide between.

Social security: take it at retirement or wait until it maxed out which means that at age 66 I had to bet on living to 80 to make it worthwhile to wait.

And so forth.
My health insurance from the state will cover until Medicare and then it is between the 2, Social Security Max for me is 67.5, but my state pension will kick in with I retire. There is a retirement unit I need to meet with to find out details and answer the question as to when 2025, 2026 or 2027

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Not only all that retirement stuff, but try becoming a widow at age 58! For instance, I believe you can start drawing SS at age 60 but you can't remarry till age 65 I don't believe. But full retirement for me is not till age 67! It's all crazy.
Deciding how to handle my wife's retirement was another math tangle since she has always worked for herself with income that has gone up and down. It turned out that there was no reason for her to wait since 1/2 of mine was more than hers and there was no boost for waiting so she started getting Social Security before I did.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My health insurance from the state will cover until Medicare and then it is between the 2, Social Security Max for me is 67.5, but my state pension will kick in with I retire. There is a retirement unit I need to meet with to find out details and answer the question as to when 2025, 2026 or 2027
Social security max is not 67.5 but 70 due to "delayed retirement credits" Benefits Planner: Retirement | Delayed Retirement Credits | SSA.

Kathryn

Deciding how to handle my wife's retirement was another math tangle since she has always worked for herself with income that has gone up and down. It turned out that there was no reason for her to wait since 1/2 of mine was more than hers and there was no boost for waiting so she started getting Social Security before I did.
Oh and when you are a widow or otherwise single, you can only get one SS, not two. I mean, you almost have to be retired in order to make any sense of it all.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Oh and when you are a widow or otherwise single, you can only get one SS, not two. I mean, you almost have to be retired in order to make any sense of it all.
Yup.

I worked for Social Security for a few months many moons ago (long story). I learned that there was a difference in calculation between getting spousal benefits first and second. Congress had specified one situation but not the other. The geniuses at SSA decided they did not like what Congress had done so came up with another calculation for the other case.

I had one case that bugs me to this day. Someone had been given money. The next person looking at her record took it away. Th third gave it back to her. The fourth took it away again. I was #5. I *really* wanted to apologize for how ****ed up SSA was in her situation but was not allowed to.

So I can truly say I've experienced the "belly of the beast" and as it turned out later in big business as well as government.

Kathryn

Oh and you can work part time till you are 65. Then you can, if you want, make as much money as you want with no penalty. Regardless of whether you are taking a full or partial amount.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Oh and you can work part time till you are 65. Then you can, if you want, make as much money as you want with no penalty. Regardless of whether you are taking a full or partial amount.
Yes, my father did that...then at 70 he took on 2 more part time jobs.......

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yup.

I worked for Social Security for a few months many moons ago (long story). I learned that there was a difference in calculation between getting spousal benefits first and second. Congress had specified one situation but not the other. The geniuses at SSA decided they did not like what Congress had done so came up with another calculation for the other case.

I had one case that bugs me to this day. Someone had been given money. The next person looking at her record took it away. Th third gave it back to her. The fourth took it away again. I was #5. I *really* wanted to apologize for how ****ed up SSA was in her situation but was not allowed to.

So I can truly say I've experienced the "belly of the beast" and as it turned out later in big business as well as government.

And don't even get me started on healthcare in the US.
You mean our worse than some third-world nations "health care" system designed to screw people so big business can profit system.