• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The movement of the earth in Qur'an

gnostic

The Lost One
Thanks to Mojtaba to bring this very interesting subject of six epochs ( Sittati Ayamin) from Qur'an . The following observation is also very interesting from the Qur'an :

Total epochs of the creation of the whole universe :

6 Epochs ( Qur'an - 7:54,10:3,11:7,10:3,11:7 etc.)
13.7892 Billions years ( Science - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_universe )

Total epochs of the creation of the earth only :

2 Epochs ( Qur'an - 41:9)
4.54 Billions years (Science- Age of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Ratio :

Science : 13.7892/4.54 ~ 3
Qur'an : 6/2 ~3
Without any specific number given (like years for example) in the Qur'an, we don't know how long a time it is truly giving, and saying epochs could just mean anything.

But what does the Qur'an really give us instead?

Six days. Just 6 fri***** days!

Six days does not add up to years, to decades, to centuries, to millennia, to millions of years, or to billions of years.

Mojtaba is trying to put unspecific numbers of years into "epoch", a word that is never used. All it does provide is DAY.

Accompanying the verse 7:54 is "day" and "night". That's only mean two periods (night and day) that make up a whole day.

This is why I don't trust Muslims like Mojtaba or you, to interpret what any passage says, like these one that you have cited in your reply.

The verses you had provided say one thing, but you (and Mojtaba) are trying to telling something else. And the "something else" is not what the Qur'an saying.

By doing this, you and Mojtaba, sound anything but honest, because you both are twisting what the passages mean, so .

So how do you know that the 6 epochs = 13.8 billion years or 2 epochs = 4.5 billion years?

Verses 7:54,10:3,11:7,10:3,11:7 - only say "6 days". There is no mentioned of years, let alone "epoch" (or similar words, like "period", "era", etc) in any of these passages. Just "6 days".

Verses 41:9 say only "2 days". There is nothing about years, billions of years or epoch, etc. Just "2 days".

It certainly doesn't appear in the Qur'an, that's for certain, but it certainly look like you are to twist them to mean that.

If you don't people to think you are being dishonest, then don't twist words around.

morphesium

Heaven ( Sam'a in Arabic ) never meant to be the sun . It means rather the universe with/without the earth , sky depends on the context . 'Shams' in Aarabic is the Sun .

In Qur'an, it is said that heavens are formed in two stages(2 spans of time) and the Earth is created in two stages(2 spans of time) and also, living organisms are created in tow stages(2 spans of time). 2+2+2 = 6 stages.

It not strange how people tune things to suit the scientific findings.

Heavens are formed in two stages/Epochs. So it being the Universe (or everything in the night sky), it took ~13.8 billion years. .So here, an epoch here ~6.9 billion years.
Formation of earth, life on earth are all formed within this (last part of ) 13.8 billion years.

Now we are part of the universe. life evolved on earth in the last 3.8 billion years (2 stages/Epochs ) but that coincides with the formation of solar system and earth which took 4.6 billion years (2 stages/Epochs ). So it can only be taken as 2 (2 stages/Epochs ) at the most, not 4 Epochs. So here an Epoch = 4.6/2 = 2.3 billion years.
If life was created in (2 stages/Epochs ), then an Epoch would be 3.8/2= 1.9 billion years.

Thanks to Mojtaba to bring this very interesting subject of six epochs ( Sittati Ayamin) from Qur'an . The following observation is also very interesting from the Qur'an :

13.7892 Billions years ( Science - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_universe )

4.54 Billions years (Science- Age of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Ratio :

So, according to (yours + Quranic) mathematics, an Epoch = 13.8/6 = 2.3 billion years. Life formed on earth in (2+2) Epoch; that's approximately 9.2 billion years. Our Solar system is just 4.6 billion years old.

After all, that great one didn't have a good maths teacher.

upload_2015-3-3_23-5-20-jpeg.8311

Union

Without any specific number given (like years for example) in the Qur'an, we don't know how long a time it is truly giving, and saying epochs could just mean anything.

But what does the Qur'an really give us instead?

Six days. Just 6 fri***** days!

Six days does not add up to years, to decades, to centuries, to millennia, to millions of years, or to billions of years.

Mojtaba is trying to put unspecific numbers of years into "epoch", a word that is never used. All it does provide is DAY.

Accompanying the verse 7:54 is "day" and "night". That's only mean two periods (night and day) that make up a whole day.

This is why I don't trust Muslims like Mojtaba or you, to interpret what any passage says, like these one that you have cited in your reply.

The verses you had provided say one thing, but you (and Mojtaba) are trying to telling something else. And the "something else" is not what the Qur'an saying.

By doing this, you and Mojtaba, sound anything but honest, because you both are twisting what the passages mean, so .

So how do you know that the 6 epochs = 13.8 billion years or 2 epochs = 4.5 billion years?

Verses 7:54,10:3,11:7,10:3,11:7 - only say "6 days". There is no mentioned of years, let alone "epoch" (or similar words, like "period", "era", etc) in any of these passages. Just "6 days".

Verses 41:9 say only "2 days". There is nothing about years, billions of years or epoch, etc. Just "2 days".

It certainly doesn't appear in the Qur'an, that's for certain, but it certainly look like you are to twist them to mean that.

If you don't people to think you are being dishonest, then don't twist words around.

See the following meanings of 'Yawm' . It can be any period , stage , cycle of time ...

mgf-0878.png

Union

It not strange how people tune things to suit the scientific findings.

Heavens are formed in two stages/Epochs. So it being the Universe (or everything in the night sky), it took ~13.8 billion years. .So here, an epoch here ~6.9 billion years.
Formation of earth, life on earth are all formed within this (last part of ) 13.8 billion years.

Now we are part of the universe. life evolved on earth in the last 3.8 billion years (2 stages/Epochs ) but that coincides with the formation of solar system and earth which took 4.6 billion years (2 stages/Epochs ). So it can only be taken as 2 (2 stages/Epochs ) at the most, not 4 Epochs. So here an Epoch = 4.6/2 = 2.3 billion years.
If life was created in (2 stages/Epochs ), then an Epoch would be 3.8/2= 1.9 billion years.

So, according to (yours + Quranic) mathematics, an Epoch = 13.8/6 = 2.3 billion years. Life formed on earth in (2+2) Epoch; that's approximately 9.2 billion years. Our Solar system is just 4.6 billion years old.

After all, that great one didn't have a good maths teacher.

You got the calculation wrong . Cite verse by verse and then do calculation . Please !

gnostic

The Lost One
See the following meanings of 'Yawm' . It can be any period , stage , cycle of time ...

mgf-0878.png

Cycle of time can be anything, if you are not specific of the unit (eg hours, days, months, years, etc) or any specific numbers.

Every translations I have come across, so far, showed "day" and "night", or "6 days".

A cycle of time can referred to a day in verse 7:54 as an example (the one you had cited in post ), which is cycle of daytime and night, or 24 hours, from sunset to sunset,

Qur'an 7:54 said:
Surely your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six days. Thereafter He leveled Himself upon the Throne (How He did so is beyond human understanding). He envelops the daytime (with) the night, (which) seeks it out promptly, and the sun, and the moon, and the stars are subjected to His Command. Verily, to Him (belong) the creation and the Command. Supremely Blessed be Allah, The Lord of the worlds.

It clearly stated 6 days, not 13+ billion years, and it mentioned "daytime" and "night", which is a period of one day.

Your argument would be more convinced if it didn't mention day, but say "year" for example. It doesn't!

The thing is you are trying to twist 6 days into the current calculation of observable universe of 13.7 billion years.

This interpretation of yours, and the scanned page of book (which BTW make no mentioned of billions of years), is an attempt of dishonest interpretation on your part.

Can I trust a Muslim who give me dishonest interpretation of their passages? I think not.

Some Christian creationists have tried to do exactly the same thing, twisting words around so that day mean literally a thousand years (2 Peter 3:8).

It would seemed that some Muslims are more alike to some creationists, who are willing to twist words, so that their precious scriptures catch match the current modern physics.

Union

Cycle of time can be anything, if you are not specific of the unit (eg hours, days, months, years, etc) or any specific numbers.

Every translations I have come across, so far, showed "day" and "night", or "6 days".

A cycle of time can referred to a day in verse 7:54 as an example (the one you had cited in post ), which is cycle of daytime and night, or 24 hours, from sunset to sunset,

It clearly stated 6 days, not 13+ billion years, and it mentioned "daytime" and "night", which is a period of one day.

Your argument would be more convinced if it didn't mention day, but say "year" for example. It doesn't!

The thing is you are trying to twist 6 days into the current calculation of observable universe of 13.7 billion years.

This interpretation of yours, and the scanned page of book (which BTW make no mentioned of billions of years), is an attempt of dishonest interpretation on your part.

Can I trust a Muslim who give me dishonest interpretation of their passages? I think not.

Some Christian creationists have tried to do exactly the same thing, twisting words around so that day mean literally a thousand years (2 Peter 3:8).

It would seemed that some Muslims are more alike to some creationists, who are willing to twist words, so that their precious scriptures catch match the current modern physics.

I showed you what 'Yawm' can mean apart from traditional meaning ' day' .
I showed you how 6 Ayam exactly fitting with astronomical explanations of 6 epochs .
I showed you how the ratio of the creation of universe to the creation of the earth concurs between science and Qur'an , which predicts that time length for both cases in harmony .
I think you made up your mind already.

mojtaba

Thanks for answering me. Actually I can't agree with much (any) of the things you say. God doesn't need the help of books or prophets to talk to us. If it is god who created you (us), that you are one of the gods glorious creations, then god has given his message (directly) to each and everyone of us and we were born with it - it is inherent to us. Our sense of morality, our subconscious feeling to be/do good is our true god sent message. No other religion can claim this- for they all came to us externally well after we were born. This is the best way for god to give us freewill without interfering with us; It is the best way god can talk to us without showing himself. This is the biggest proof that your (or my or any other ) religion is not god sent. For me, one is closer to god without religion than with religion.
It is my pleasure.
Yes. A part of my opinion is same with yours and I get my opinion from thinking in holy Qur'an and correct Hadithes and by thinking itself.
Please read these:
30:30 " Devote yourself single-mindedly to the Religion( that is ) the Divine Nature that (God) has created mankind on it ".

Usul al-Kafi, H 12, Ch. 1, h 12: From Hisham ibn al-Hakam who has said the following: "Abu al-Hassan Musa ibn Ja’far( the seventh Imam of Shia Muslims ) stated the following to me.
O Hisham, Allah has placed two kinds of authority over man. The apparent and manifest authority and the internal and hidden authority. The prophets and messengers are the apparent and manifest authorities and intelligence is the hidden and internal authority."

Yes. God doesn't need anything. But we need. We need an inner guidance(divine nature) and an external infallible guidance (prophets). Because, if inner guidance is sufficient, all people must believe one common God. But there is not a common God. Someone believe single God, another one believe Gods and atheisms don't believe any God. So inner guidance is not sufficient, but is required.
I believe in science and i owe it a lot. It has given me medicines, improved our living standards, saved my loved ones life (a multitude of times), . MRI, CT scanners, Modern medical diagnostic instruments, telescopes, microprocessors, computers, internet..etc..... ..... .... Much more than these, It has given answers..., precise answers to many questions that religion could never answer.
Yes. Thanks to scientists. Science is very important in Islam. It is narrated from prophet Mohammad(p.b.u.h) that :" Seek knowledge even in China(i.e., a very distance place) "and " Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave ".
But science do not/can not say us that: Is there the life after death? How is that? What we must do for that life? What is our duty to God? Who is God? What is his attributes, etc... .
Answers of these questions are the most important issues, aren't they?
Answers of these questions are in religion.

Last edited:

mojtaba

Please read this verse.

25: 69 " The punishment shall be increased for him on the Day(Yawm, یوم) of Resurrection, and he will remain in it forever, with humiliation. "

According to 25:69, day(Yawm, یوم) of Resurrection is endless in Arabic/Qur'an. So, Yawm is not just 24 hours and is a period of time. Please try to understand.

Last edited:

morphesium

It is my pleasure.
Yes. A part of my opinion is same with yours and I get my opinion from thinking in holy Qur'an and correct Hadithes and by thinking itself.
If you are true to yourself, then you will find fault with Quran and Hadiths.
The (2 day+2 day+2 day corresponding to heavens, earth and life) concept in Quran about the creation of the universe does not agree with the scientific facts even if one changes days to epochs, period of time, million years/ billion years etc, because it is self contradictory and it never makes any sense. And there are many more. Why is it so hard for you to understand this?

The Prophet said "If a house fly falls in the drink of anyone of you, he should dip it (in the drink), for one of its wings has a disease and the other has the cure for the disease." (Sahih Al-Bukhari: Volume 4, Book 54, Number 537). Do you agree with the correctness of Hadith? or the stupidity of Hadith?

For me, these are stupidities. And there are many more here too.

Please read these:
30:30 " Devote yourself single-mindedly to the Religion( that is ) the Divine Nature that (God) has created mankind on it ".

Usul al-Kafi, H 12, Ch. 1, h 12: From Hisham ibn al-Hakam who has said the following: "Abu al-Hassan Musa ibn Ja’far( the seventh Imam of Shia Muslims ) stated the following to me.
O Hisham, Allah has placed two kinds of authority over man. The apparent and manifest authority and the internal and hidden authority. The prophets and messengers are the apparent and manifest authorities and intelligence is the hidden and internal authority."
"Abu al-Hassan Musa ibn Ja’far( the seventh Imam of Shia Muslims )" and all of these historic people have had reasons to believe these holy texts because they had no knowledge to check the validity of Quran/Hadiths. But the situation is very different now. Science had developed much more, disproved many of Qurans /Hadiths sentences. Additionally, information is at the finger tips. We can check and re-check before believing. Why should we believe in this unless an infant say to us " you should believe in this God". After all god made such acts to make others believe.

Yes. God doesn't need anything.
How do you know this?
But we need. We need an inner guidance(divine nature) and an external infallible guidance (prophets).
Yes, we need an inner guidance. External infallible guidance ? it should come from great books including scientific books on personality development, and by learning about great people and so on.
Do you agree with the act of Prophet Muhammed marrying a 9 year old girl at the age of 53? Ayesha used to play with dolls after marriage! For me, its is morally and ethically corrupt and an uncivilized act.
Because, if inner guidance is sufficient, All people must believe one common God. But there is not a common God. Someone believe single God, another one believe Gods and atheisms don't believe any God. So inner guidance is not sufficient, but is required.

Actually, god could have added the concept of "one God/ Multi God " to our inner guidance if he desired. But he didn't. So it should not matter to God what ones Godly beliefs are. What it matters is that we should follow our inner guidance.

Yes. Thanks to scientists. Science is very important in Islam. It is narrated from prophet Mohammad(p.b.u.h) that :" Seek knowledge even in China(i.e., a very distance place) "and " Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave ".
Why is the deeply religious ISIS people burning libraries? Why was it hard for you disagree with the Quranic 6 day creation of the universe? Why is it (at present) the contribution to science and technology by Islamic people is very much less than world average?

Let me tell you here, Religion (not just Islam) and science never goes together. Actually, science is religion killer and religion tries to kill science. For science is based on reason, facts and proofs where as religion is based on faiths, myths and is unreasonable.

But science do not/can not say us that: Is there the life after death? How is that? What we must do for that life? What is our duty to God? Who is God? What is his attributes, etc... .
Answers of these questions are the most important issues, don't they?
Answers of these questions are in religion.
NO, Religion can't answer those questions. It can only Fake.

mryter-god-and-devil-png.8369

Last edited:

Union

If you are true to yourself, then you will find fault with Quran and Hadiths.
The (2 day+2 day+2 day corresponding to heavens, earth and life) concept in Quran about the creation of the universe does not agree with the scientific facts even if one changes days to epochs, period of time, million years/ billion years etc, because it is self contradictory and it never makes any sense. And there are many more. Why is it so hard for you to understand this?

The Prophet said "If a house fly falls in the drink of anyone of you, he should dip it (in the drink), for one of its wings has a disease and the other has the cure for the disease." (Sahih Al-Bukhari: Volume 4, Book 54, Number 537). Do you agree with the correctness of Hadith? or the stupidity of Hadith?

For me, these are stupidities. And there are many more here too.

"Abu al-Hassan Musa ibn Ja’far( the seventh Imam of Shia Muslims )" and all of these historic people have had reasons to believe these holy texts because they had no knowledge to check the validity of Quran/Hadiths. But the situation is very different now. Science had developed much more, disproved many of Qurans /Hadiths sentences. Additionally, information is at the finger tips. We can check and re-check before believing. Why should we believe in this unless an infant say to us " you should believe in this God". After all god made such acts to make others believe.

How do you know this?

Yes, we need an inner guidance. External infallible guidance ? it should come from great books including scientific books on personality development, and by learning about great people and so on.
Do you agree with the act of Prophet Muhammed marrying a 9 year old girl at the age of 53? Ayesha used to play with dolls after marriage! For me, its is morally and ethically corrupt and an uncivilized act.

Actually, god could have added the concept of "one God/ Multi God " to our inner guidance if he desired. But he didn't. So it should not matter to God what ones Godly beliefs are. What it matters is that we should follow our inner guidance.

Why is the deeply religious ISIS people burning libraries? Why was it hard for you disagree with the Quranic 6 day creation of the universe? Why is it (at present) the contribution to science and technology by Islamic people is very much less than world average?

Let me tell you here, Religion (not just Islam) and science never goes together. Actually, science is religion killer and religion tries to kill science. For science is based on reason, facts and proofs where as religion is based on faiths, myths and is unreasonable.

NO, Religion can't answer those questions. It can only Fake.

mryter-god-and-devil-png.8369

This is not my call though , I don't believe in Hadith , hence nothing to comment . I m still waiting for you to clarify me how you did get your calculation in the creation description in Qur'an and found it stupid ....

morphesium

Please read this verse.

25: 69 " The punishment shall be increased for him on the Day(Yawm, یوم) of Resurrection, and he will remain in it forever, with humiliation. "

It could also mean that his punishment shall be increased on the day (Yawm) of Resurrection and from that day onwards, he will be punished forever with humiliation.
According to 25:69, day(Yawm, یوم) of Resurrection is endless in Arabic/Qur'an. So, Yawm is not just 24 hours and is a period of time. Please try to understand.

If so, Day (Yawn) here is not a period of time - it is endless, it goes forever. Actually, the other sentence makes much more sense.

Union

Please read this verse.

That is a good observation . Here some other observations :

A Yawm = One Thousand years [22.47]
A Yawm = Fifty Thousand years [70.4]

morphesium

This is not my call though , I don't believe in Hadith , hence nothing to comment . I m still waiting for you to clarify me how you did get your calculation in the creation description in Qur'an and found it stupid ....

In Qur'an, it is said that heavens are formed in two stages(2 spans of time) and the Earth is created in two stages(2 spans of time) and also, living organisms are created in tow stages(2 spans of time). 2+2+2 = 6 stages.
Actually Quran says this as (2 Yawm for heavens+ 2 Yawm for earth +2 Yawm for the creation of life) =6 Yawm. This is not a clear sentence since Quran doesent say accurately what Yawm is, what heavens are etc. For this reason alone, this sentence has got no meaning.

In one of your previous post, you stated "Total epochs of the creation of the earth only" : which is equal to 4.54 billion years and you corresponded to 2 epochs of Quran. But it is in this 4.54 billion years life was created on earth - in the last 3.8 billion years of the 4.54 that took to the formation and present day earth. According to Quran life formed on earth in 2 +2 = 4 epochs = 9 billion years.

Union

Actually Quran says this as (2 Yawm for heavens+ 2 Yawm for earth +2 Yawm for the creation of life) =6 Yawm. This is not a clear sentence since Quran doesent say accurately what Yawm is, what heavens are etc. For this reason alone, this sentence has got no meaning.

In one of your previous post, you stated "Total epochs of the creation of the earth only" : which is equal to 4.54 billion years and you corresponded to 2 epochs of Quran. But it is in this 4.54 billion years life was created on earth - in the last 3.8 billion years of the 4.54 that took to the formation and present day earth. According to Quran life formed on earth in 2 +2 = 4 epochs = 9 billion years.

What I said earlier , still I am holding this opinion to be right . Qur'an says the the earth was created in 2 epochs which exactly corresponding with timeline ratio compared to to the creation of the universe ( 13.7 Bil : 4.54 Bil ~ 3:1~6 epochs:2 epochs) From your part show me the verse 'According to Quran life formed on earth in 2 +2 = 4 epochs = 9 billion years.'

morphesium

What I said earlier , still I am holding this opinion to be right . Qur'an says the the earth was created in 2 epochs which exactly corresponding with timeline ratio compared to to the creation of the universe ( 13.7 Bil : 4.54 Bil ~ 3:1~6 epochs:2 epochs) From your part show me the verse 'According to Quran life formed on earth in 2 +2 = 4 epochs = 9 billion years.'

(2 Yawm for heavens+ 2 Yawm for earth +2 Yawm for the creation of life) =6 Yawm.

Can't you still get this?

Last edited:

morphesium

(2 Yawm for heavens+ 2 Yawm for earth (in this 2 Yawm, life was not created, The new Earth was forbidden of life) +2 Yawm for the creation of life) =6 Yawm.

Last edited:

morphesium

Verse no. please .
Also, it is said in Qur'an that the raw material of heavens was something like smoke and heavens are created from this smoke.In addition, the number of them is seven and they was singular as one heaven, then became seven. As well, all planets and stars that we see are in the first heaven. Two stages of heavens formation maybe when they were smoke and when they became condensed.

Also,two stages of the Earth creation maybe when it was very hot and molten and when the Earth’s crust became cool to become habitable.

As well, two stages of the creation of the living organisms maybe when there were just prokaryotes in the Earth and when the eukaryotes were created.

41:9-12 " «9»Say: What! do you indeed disbelieve in Him Who created the earth in two periods, and do you set up equals with Him? That is the Lord of the Worlds.«10» And He made in it mountains above its surface, and He blessed therein and ordained therein its provisions, in four periods(seasons) alike for the seekers.«11» And He applied His design to the heaven,which was [as] smoke; He said* to it and to the earth, “Come [into being], willingly or unwillingly!” both responded, “We do come in obedience.” «12» So He completed them as seven heavens in two periods, and He assigned to each heaven its command. And We adorned the lower heaven with stars, and (provided it) with guard(not to collapse). Such is the Decree of (Him) the Exalted in Might, Full of Knowledge.
* This conversation is not like our conversation. It illustrates the power of God.

Remain two periods :
32: 4 " Allah is Who has created the heavens and the earth, and all between them, in six periods ".
This verse states that the earth and the heavens and all between them are created in six periods. Previous verses state that God created the heavens in two periods and the earth in two periods. Consequently, all between them( living organisms ) are created in two periods. Also this verse can indicate that there are living organisms in other planets besides the earth.

to which you responded

Ratio :

Last edited: