• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Return of Christ

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
To be honest, reading about Jesus in comparative mythology was very eye-opening for me, and it made me realize that the stories told about him in the Bible (e.g., virgin birth, miracles, cruxifixion, death, and resurrection) weren't as unique and compelling as I had previously believed. I began to recognize the significant impact that paganism had on Christianity, as I explained in the following paragraphs. Of course, my opinion is based on what I've learned.

I think that it is essential to consider the biblical accounts of Jesus in the context of comparative mythology and recognize that the savior story about him in the Bible is not the first of its kind. There are other stories of Christlike figures that predate both the Bible and Christianity. In light of my own research on the subject, I've concluded that if Jesus (the English adaptation of Yehoshua/Yeshua) had lived 2,000 years ago, then he was just an ordinary man and a popular religious teacher whose followers spread embellished stories about him, including modified stories about demigods from Greek mythology and other pagan religions that would make him appear godlike. For example, if you replace the name Jesus with Attis (the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation), you'll see a strikingly familiar savior story similar to that of Jesus, except the Greek myths about Attis are dated 1250 BCE, which predates Christianity and the Bible (source). You could also replace the name Jesus with any of the other Christlike figures discussed in the articles I linked. There are even more similar myths that parallel the stories of his divine birth, performing supernatural miracles, walking on water, miraculously healing the sick, raising the dead, as well as his alleged crucifixion, death, and resurrection. You will see that the stories about him are not unique, including his savior story, which, in my opinion, is no more credible than all of the other savior stories that preceded it. As shown in the articles, it is just one among many of the same kind.

10 Christ-Like Figures that predate Jesus

The Truth About Mythological Figures Similar To Jesus

Other Gods That Rose From the Dead in Spring Before Jesus Christ

In conclusion, I believe that most of the biblical stories about Jesus are plagiarized pagan myths, demonstrating that these stories are not unique and that paganism had a substantial impact on Christianity. In my opinion, the stories about him were greatly embellished, either copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions that his followers were aware of at the time or stories based on hearsay that became more elaborate as they spread. Do you know how you can tell a story to a group of people, and over time the original story changes substantially because some people forget what was said, so they guess by making something up to fill in the blanks, or they add their own narratives to embellish the story? I believe this could be the reason why the stories of Jesus vastly spread from region to region and that these stories about him were greatly embellished to make him appear to be godlike and even the son of the Abrahamic God. Again, what I've stated in my post is my personal opinion. I realize that others will disagree with me.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Veteran Member
To be honest, reading about Jesus in comparative theology was very eye-opening for me, and it made me realize that the stories told about him in the Bible (e.g., virgin birth, miracles, cruxifixion, death, resurrection) weren't as unique and compelling as I had previously believed. I also began to recognize the significant influence that paganism had on Christianity, as I explained in the following paragraphs. Of course, this is what I personally believe.

I think that it is essential to consider the biblical accounts of Jesus in the context of comparative mythology and recognize that the savior story about him in the Bible is not the first of its kind. There are other stories of Christlike figures that predate both the Bible and Christianity. In light of my own research on the subject, I've concluded that if Jesus (the English adaptation of Yehoshua/Yeshua) lived 2,000 years ago, then he was just an ordinary man and a popular religious teacher whose followers spread embellished stories about him, including modified stories about demigods from Greek mythology and other pagan religions that would make him appear godlike. For example, if you replace the name Jesus with Attis (the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation), you'll see a strikingly familiar savior story similar to that of Jesus, except the Greek myths about Attis are dated 1250 BCE, which predates Christianity and the Bible (source). You could also replace the name Jesus with any of the other Christlike figures discussed in the articles I linked. There are even more similar myths that parallel the stories of his divine birth, performing supernatural miracles, walking on water, miraculously healing the sick, raising the dead, as well as his alleged crucifixion, death, and resurrection. You will see that the stories about him are not unique, including his savior story, which, in my opinion, is no more credible than all of the other savior stories that preceded it. As shown in the articles, it is just one among many of the same kind.

In conclusion, I believe that most of the biblical stories about Jesus are plagiarized pagan myths, demonstrating that these stories are not unique and that paganism had a substantial impact on Christianity. In my opinion, the stories about him were greatly embellished, either copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions that his followers were aware of at the time or stories based on hearsay that became more elaborate as they spread. Do you know how you can tell a story to a group of people, and over time the original story changes substantially because some people forget what was said, so they guess by making something up to fill in the blanks, or they add their own narratives to embellish the story? I believe this could be the reason why the stories of Jesus vastly spread from region to region and that these stories about him were greatly embellished to make him appear to be godlike and even the son of the Abrahamic God. Again, what I've stated in my post is my personal opinion. I realize that others will disagree with me.
Still a good story though

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
That does not mean I understand the Christian concept of the Trinity. Others may. But it never gelled with me.

I used to believe in the trinity doctrine when I was still a devout Christian, but I've since come to believe that it, like stories about Jesus, has pagan roots. I decided to reexamine it and conduct my own research to uncover its true origins after reading some informative posts about it by another member. It's similar to how I decided to reject my Christian-indoctrinated beliefs about Satan and demons after reading some informative posts by a Baháʼí member.

First article: Pagan Roots of the Trinity Doctrine

Second article: How Ancient Trinitarian Gods Influenced Adoption of the Trinity

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and judged by them.
It amazes me how things got this way. We get born into a world with all sorts of competing religious beliefs. Lots of us are born into a family that believes in one of them, and we are taught that it is the true one. And, for lots of us, that all the others are false.

These days the competition is even stronger. It's not easy to sort out which religion is true, or the best, or if all of them are just made-up beliefs with some moral teachings and laws mixed in.

But, because the moral teachings and laws have never worked, I'm wondering if they too were just made up. Would a God have given people rules and laws that he knows most all people won't be able to obey? Or, even worse, not want to obey.

Anyway, I'm still thinking it was religious leaders that made up the beliefs about Gods and devils. And that the Gods will reward those that obey the laws and punish those that listen to the devil and break the laws.

Maybe not too complicated, maybe not too profound, but it's easy for me to make sense of God and religion... it's all myths that people made up to get people to do good and obey the rules.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
To be honest, reading about Jesus in comparative mythology was very eye-opening for me, and it made me realize that the stories told about him in the Bible (e.g., virgin birth, miracles, cruxifixion, death, and resurrection) weren't as unique and compelling as I had previously believed. I began to recognize the significant impact that paganism had on Christianity, as I explained in the following paragraphs. Of course, my opinion is based on what I've learned.

I think that it is essential to consider the biblical accounts of Jesus in the context of comparative mythology and recognize that the savior story about him in the Bible is not the first of its kind. There are other stories of Christlike figures that predate both the Bible and Christianity. In light of my own research on the subject, I've concluded that if Jesus (the English adaptation of Yehoshua/Yeshua) had lived 2,000 years ago, then he was just an ordinary man and a popular religious teacher whose followers spread embellished stories about him, including modified stories about demigods from Greek mythology and other pagan religions that would make him appear godlike. For example, if you replace the name Jesus with Attis (the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation), you'll see a strikingly familiar savior story similar to that of Jesus, except the Greek myths about Attis are dated 1250 BCE, which predates Christianity and the Bible (source). You could also replace the name Jesus with any of the other Christlike figures discussed in the articles I linked. There are even more similar myths that parallel the stories of his divine birth, performing supernatural miracles, walking on water, miraculously healing the sick, raising the dead, as well as his alleged crucifixion, death, and resurrection. You will see that the stories about him are not unique, including his savior story, which, in my opinion, is no more credible than all of the other savior stories that preceded it. As shown in the articles, it is just one among many of the same kind.

Yep, that's what I think is going on. How easy would it be to say, "Hmmm, let's give our prophet a miraculous birth. Let's have our guy perform all kinds of miracles and to be able to heal people. And to top it off, let's have him rise from the dead."

Okay, maybe not so easy in the beginning... when there were several eyewitnesses. The disciples and gospel writers would have had to be in on the hoax. But after a hundred years or so? And especially by the time the NT got put together? Who's going to know? That's what the gospels say happened... It must be true. Then they vote on which stories get in the NT. And they vote to make Jesus God.
Still a good story though
And that's what's important. A good story, even a great story. But the believers past it on as if it were the gospel truth. And, for some people, it's a nice story... but completely unbelievable. And for others, the true believers, they have to say, "No, that is exactly what happened." And then they are forced to say that the entire Bible is literally true also.

A good story? Yeah. But totally and completely and literally true? I doubt it. But what good is anything less? Once people start saying parts are fictional or symbolic and not literally true, where do you stop? And some of us don't stop until we make it all a fairytale.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Yep, that's what I think is going on. How easy would it be to say, "Hmmm, let's give our prophet a miraculous birth. Let's have our guy perform all kinds of miracles and to be able to heal people. And to top it off, let's have him rise from the dead."

Okay, maybe not so easy in the beginning... when there were several eyewitnesses. The disciples and gospel writers would have had to be in on the hoax. But after a hundred years or so? And especially by the time the NT got put together? Who's going to know? That's what the gospels say happened... It must be true. Then they vote on which stories get in the NT. And they vote to make Jesus God.

And that's what's important. A good story, even a great story. But the believers past it on as if it were the gospel truth. And, for some people, it's a nice story... but completely unbelievable. And for others, the true believers, they have to say, "No, that is exactly what happened." And then they are forced to say that the entire Bible is literally true also.

A good story? Yeah. But totally and completely and literally true? I doubt it. But what good is anything less? Once people start saying parts are fictional or symbolic and not literally true, where do you stop? And some of us don't stop until we make it all a fairytale.
My beliefs have nothing to do with the Bible, but some parts of them are similar. Such as God in the flesh. Aka Jesus

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
No, you don’t. You talk of book stuff. I’ve never shared my beliefs in real life. Only here where no one knows me. I’m not dumb. It just feels good to speak my truth every now and again.
I certainly understand that! I upset people when I'm fully genuine. I'm glad they care, hopefully for me, and not some religious belief of their's I may unintentionally shake when I'm honest in answering their inquiries. I tell many that they really don't want to know, and they ask anyway.

Ajax

It amazes me how things got this way. We get born into a world with all sorts of competing religious beliefs. Lots of us are born into a family that believes in one of them, and we are taught that it is the true one. And, for lots of us, that all the others are false.
True, especially in old times. People were taught religion by their parents, who in turn were taught by their own parents. They didn't have, or it was very difficult for them to have, the means to check if what they were told was true. This all changed with the knowledge revolution brought by the internet, where every kind of information is available with a click. People can now check every claim of religions, find opposing views immediately and judge for themselves. Most young-ish people and most educated individuals are atheists, or agnostics these days. And they keep increasing.
The knowledge provided by the internet therefore for the people wanting to check for truth, is the greatest enemy of religions , in my view.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Me too lol. **** I walk around in the winter with an ankle length cloak on
My son did that for a while in high school until his name hit the local paper as suspicious! LOL After he ditched the coat he really got "weird" and has remained so. :eek: LOL

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
True, especially in old times. People were taught religion by their parents, who in turn were taught by their own parents. They didn't have, or it was very difficult for them to have, the means to check if what they were told was true. This all changed with the knowledge revolution brought by the internet, where every kind of information is available with a click. People can now check every claim of religions, find opposing views immediately and judge for themselves. Most young-ish people and most educated individuals are atheists, or agnostics these days. And they keep increasing.
The knowledge provided by the internet therefore for the people wanting to check for truth, is the greatest enemy of religions , in my view.

I agree with this. It is certainly true for me.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A serious question we can ask ourselves, and also meditate upon, is "Why do NDE experiences predominantly enter a world where they, in no way shape or form, want to come back into their body?...........................
As far as I know No NDE were dead for four (4) days as Jesus' friend was - John chapter 11
ALL the people Jesus resurrected were resurrected healthy
Jesus was showing us a sample, a preview, a coming attraction of what he will be doing on a GRAND-GLOBAL scale
Resurrection Day (Acts 24:15) is about ALL who died before Jesus died - Abel to John the baptist + - Matthew 11:11
People who died before Jesus died (John 3:13) many could have a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection
This includes the list of all the people named in God's Hall of Fame at Hebrews 11:13,39

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I used to believe in the trinity doctrine when I was still a devout Christian, but I've since come to believe that it, like stories about Jesus, has pagan roots ...........................
Yes, non-biblical roots, but on the other hand, Jesus had 'biblical non-trinatarian roots'
After all, God has No beginning - Psalm 90:2
Pre-human heavenly Jesus had a beginning. In the beginning God created pre-human heavenly Jesus before God sent Jesus to Earth
So, only God was 'before' the beginning, whereas Jesus was 'IN' the beginning but Not 'before' the beginning as his God was
Even resurrected heavenly Jesus believes his God is The Creator - Rev. 4:11
What does Jesus believe at Revelation 3:12

QuestioningMind

This question is for non-believers of the Christian faith. All Christians believe that Christ will return. When you hear them say this what do you think it really means?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. When a Christian tells me they believe that Christ will return, I take them at their word that they believe this Christ figure will someday return. I don't assume that they REALLY mean something else.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Afraid? Nah. They just know they’ll live again.
I was always amused ─ inappropriately or not ─ at Pisco funerals to hear the priest refer to "the sure and certain hope of the resurrection".

Like my sure and certain hope that my SuperMarvelLotto ticket will win me billions ...

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I was always amused ─ inappropriately or not ─ at Pisco funerals to hear the priest refer to "the sure and certain hope]/b] of the resurrection".

Like my sure and certain hope that my SuperMarvelLotto ticket will win me billions ...
Leprechauns are real

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Most Christians with a little bit of wisdom know that the return of Christ doesn’t mean he’s coming back to this life imo. Christians know that it means that Jesus is here and that when he dies he will come back again as a young boy to relive his life along with everyone else in a new world. It’s pretty simple to understand. No one is waiting for Jesus to come in this life because he’s already here. There is no other meaning imo.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
To be honest, reading about Jesus in comparative mythology was very eye-opening for me
As a little kid what was I supposed to think? I assumed my parents and priests were telling me the truth. And in those days as a Catholic, if a person dies with an unconfessed mortal sin, like not going to church on Sunday, you'd go straight to hell.

Now I'm just fine believing it's all myth.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
As a little kid what was I supposed to think? I assumed my parents and priests were telling me the truth. And in those days as a Catholic, if a person dies with an unconfessed mortal sin, like not going to church on Sunday, you'd go straight to hell.

Now I'm just fine believing it's all myth.
It is all myth. But it’s based on hard facts of this reality. The real truth couldn’t be revealed. The son of God that walks the Earth today could never be known for safety reasons. Obviously