• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

Kfox

Well, there are more than empirical versus God claims.
There is the whole range of words that are not supernatural, but have no empirical referents, but rather have cogntive/emotional referents.
I never suggested otherwise.
That you call it real, is not empirical and is not science.
The tree in my front yard is empirical; science is not necessary to verify this.
It is no different than gender as it is in your mind as it makes sense to you.
No; the tree in my yard is real to everybody; not just me, because it exists outside of human thought.

Kfox

But you have no evidence for real. So I won't accept that and don't respect you as it is in your mind.
Again; the tree in my yard is not something that only exists in my mind.
Use words that are backed up by science as you demand of others, or explain how you are speical using science.
I’ve never suggested people should only use words that are backed up by science. If you gonna put words in my mouth, make sure they are MY words; quit makin’ stuff up.

Kfox

Yes, the doctor uses established criteria to assign the sex of each newborn.

YOU claim I am using the wrong words simply because you dislike the use of certain words.
No; I claim you are using the wrong words because you are. If you label something "X" due to an outside source, you are not the one assigning it "X", that outside source is.

Kfox

Do you understand that right after the doctor determines the sex of a new born that said sex is not only assigned to the new born child, but even documented on a birth certificate?
Are you gonna answer my question?

Kfox

Real, lol. Humans suck at interpretating the world (it's been documented many times that people witnessing the same event will recount it differently).
I'm not talking about events, I'm talking about a specific tree that is in my front yard.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What is rude about it? Please be specific.
It's odd you would even ask. Calling someone something they've asked you not to call them is rude. The specifics don't even matter, it's basic courtesy and decency. If you call to someone "hey, bean" to get their attention and they say "please don't call me bean" do you keep calling them bean? If you do, that's rude. Seriously, it's not complicated. It's schoolyard bully nonsense to keep calling someone something they've asked not to be called. That basic civil decency escapes certain humans is just odd. This is common sense level of stuff. Don't be a jerk.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
No; I claim you are using the wrong words because you are. If you label something "X" due to an outside source, you are not the one assigning it "X", that outside source is.
Except that it is the doctor making the determination..
Thus when said determination is made, it is assigned and documented.

As it stands now, you are merely grasping at straws.
Problem is, you are not very good at it.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
its the only conclusion that can be drawn.
You are of course free to prove me wrong and actually name these mysterious researchers.
And you are free to treat this as a conversation and not an interrogation..

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Share your opinion. I’ll say 18. Maybe even older. There’s a lot of experimentation that dies out. One should be sure before they attach labels imo. Take a little time…
Excuse me?!?

Are you serious?

Do you expect people to ask for validation before identifying with either sex?

I think you need to learn better about transgenderism.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Excuse me?!?

Are you serious?

It’s my opinion. I think young people should think things through a bit more. I know I should’ve.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Excuse me?!?

Are you serious?

We're talking about kids here, correct? That's the context.

Let's start by comparing and contrasting between gender dysphoria and what you're calling "transgenderism". How would you compare / contrast those things for kids?

Kfox

It's odd you would even ask. Calling someone something they've asked you not to call them is rude. The specifics don't even matter, it's basic courtesy and decency.
The specifics DO matter. If somebody is human and they want you to pretend they are a horse due to mental illness, it is not common courtesy to pretend they are a horse. Words are supposed to have meaning; when you divorce gender from biology, it becomes meaningless. To use a meaningless term like gender when speaking of somebody is not courtesy, it’s better to use a term that has meaning.
If you call to someone "hey, bean" to get their attention and they say "please don't call me bean" do you keep calling them bean? If you do, that's rude. Seriously, it's not complicated. It's schoolyard bully nonsense to keep calling someone something they've asked not to be called. That basic civil decency escapes certain humans is just odd. This is common sense level of stuff. Don't be a jerk.
When I am speaking to you, the only pronouns I will use are you or your. The pronouns he/him, she/her are only used when I am talking about you to someone else at which time you are not a part of the conversation.