• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

Kfox

you obviously don't know because if you didn't you wouldn't be foolish enough to try to conflate a hallucination with an imaginary friend
In that context of that particular conversation, they are the same because they are both examples of you experiencing something that is not real.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Share your opinion. I’ll say 18. Maybe even older. There’s a lot of experimentation that dies out. One should be sure before they attach labels imo. Take a little time…
It is my opinion that there is no set age.
It will wary with each individual.
Sometimes it will vary vastly.

It is ALSO my opinion that anyone trying to set a blanket age will only frustrate themselves and those actually going through it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I never suggested otherwise.

The tree in my front yard is empirical; science is not necessary to verify this.

No; the tree in my yard is real to everybody; not just me, because it exists outside of human thought.

Yeah, that is philosophy and not the only version of in effect metaphysics and ontology.
But that doesn't tell us how to treat other humans and how to understand non-empirical experince.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Again; the tree in my yard is not something that only exists in my mind.

I’ve never suggested people should only use words that are backed up by science. If you gonna put words in my mouth, make sure they are MY words; quit makin’ stuff up.

Yeah, I like that you have solved the problem of the evil demon by Descartes. Can you give a link to your writting, where you give evidence for that.

Okay, then explain the non-emperical part of human life and how that works.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
In that context of that particular conversation, they are the same because they are both examples of you experiencing something that is not real.

So how does that matter? And if there are human behaviour which is not real, yet all humans do it, then what?
You really can't help using real as a normative standard!!!

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You keep getting it wrong.
Merely repeating a bold empty claim does not make it anything other than a repeated bold empty claim.

Than answer the question. Again; what's the difference between assigning something vs determining something?
Again?
The first time around you asked only if I know the difference.
You did not ask for the definitions to be revealed to you...

Assign​
Ascribing with certainty​
Determine​
Find out and or come to a conclusion​

Are you claiming that the doctor is not certain of the sex they declare the newborn is?
If so, then they need to work on their determination skills.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No; I claim you are using the wrong words because you are. If you label something "X" due to an outside source, you are not the one assigning it "X", that outside source is.

But wrong is not real, as it is not emiprical. You really have to start to make a model of the non-empirical parts of a human life. You got the empirical part down, but the non part is lacking.

Argentbear

We're talking about kids here, correct? That's the context.

Let's start by comparing and contrasting between gender dysphoria and what you're calling "transgenderism". How would you compare / contrast those things for kids?
Gender dysphoria is an anxiety disorder that affects about 15 % of trasngendered individuals at some point in their lives.

Argentbear

The specifics DO matter. If somebody is human and they want you to pretend they are a horse due to mental illness, it is not common courtesy to pretend they are a horse. Words are supposed to have meaning; when you divorce gender from biology, it becomes meaningless. To use a meaningless term like gender when speaking of somebody is not courtesy, it’s better to use a term that has meaning.
Trans people are not pretending and are not mentally ill.

Kfox

Yeah, that is philosophy and not the only version of in effect metaphysics and ontology.
But that doesn't tell us how to treat other humans and how to understand non-empirical experince.
I was only describing the differences between what is real vs what is imaginary. Metaphysics and how to treat other people is a different conversation
Yeah, I like that you have solved the problem of the evil demon by Descartes. Can you give a link to your writting, where you give evidence for that.
What on earth are you talking about???
Okay, then explain the non-emperical part of human life and how that works....So how does that matter? And if there are human behaviour which is not real, yet all humans do it, then what?
The actions resulting from the behavior is what is real.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I was only describing the differences between what is real vs what is imaginary. Metaphysics and how to treat other people is a different conversation

What on earth are you talking about???

The actions resulting from the behavior is what is real.

Yeah, we think and feel differently for some human understanding and behaviour. So if it makes you feel better, your is real and mine is imgained. In fact I didn't even write this. ;)
And for some aspects of real, then you are properly the only real human. ;)

Kfox

Assign​
Ascribing with certainty​
Determine​
Find out and or come to a conclusion​

Are you claiming that the doctor is not certain of the sex they declare the newborn is?
If so, then they need to work on their determination skills.
I'm saying the doctor finds out and or come to a conclusion
But wrong is not real, as it is not emiprical. You really have to start to make a model of the non-empirical parts of a human life. You got the empirical part down, but the non part is lacking.
In this case, I call using words out of context; wrong.
Yeah, but that is not normative for all of human life!!!
I never said I was speaking for all of human life.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The specifics DO matter. If somebody is human and they want you to pretend they are a horse due to mental illness, it is not common courtesy to pretend they are a horse. Words are supposed to have meaning; when you divorce gender from biology, it becomes meaningless. To use a meaningless term like gender when speaking of somebody is not courtesy, it’s better to use a term that has meaning.

Sounds like you just want to control others, then. Language control is a form of cultural control and can be a particularly ugly instrument. If you want to try and duck and weave around this being a basic matter of commonsense courtesy and decency, well... that says some things.

When I am speaking to you, the only pronouns I will use are you or your. The pronouns he/him, she/her are only used when I am talking about you to someone else at which time you are not a part of the conversation.
That's fine, though in cases where the human is nonbinary (they/them), they've made that very clear to you, and you're deliberately ignoring them because you can't practice basic commonsense courtesy and decency for some reason, that's not cool. I repeat - this isn't complicated.