• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Age Is Acceptable To Identify As The Opposite Sex?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
1% is incredibly low for a medical outcome. Routine knee surgeries are regretted at far higher rates, some have been found to generally have littld effect ajd benefit, but it goes on unscrutinized.
413 million, that's a lot of suffering because you want the age ti go as high as 25 and deny the benefits the vast majority will reciece because you focused on the small sample of negative outcomes and out it above the positive outcomes.
I never said the age should go to 25. I said maybe it should go to 25 out of love and concern. I don’t claim to know it be all about this. Only time will tell. we’ll just have to wait-and-see.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Clearly seem unable to support the idea of 25. Amd time will tell? The first medical transition happened over a century ago in Germany.
That’s why I said maybe. The biggest poll you came up with was 30,000 people. there’s potentially 500-800 million trans people in the world so yeah we got some work to do.

GoodAttention

I never said the age should go to 25. I said maybe it should go to 25 out of love and concern. I don’t claim to know it be all about this. Only time will tell. we’ll just have to wait-and-see.

I agree with “love and concern” when it relates to an individuals autonomy, parental authority, and harm minimisation.

25 would be a worse outcome than 18.

Argentbear

Most public schools when my kids were going to school expected all kids to learn the same things at the same time. As for gender/ sex stuff:
Here is the Minnesota legislation.

as you can read it does not give "young kids the right to undergo sex change procedures." Rather it prevents other states from persecuting parents in Minnesota who seek out and/or participate in "medically necessary health care or mental health care ."

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
That’s why I said maybe. The biggest poll you came up with was 30,000 people. there’s potentially 500-800 million trans people in the world so yeah we got some work to do.
1% shows a ton of work has been done. You'd be better off going after athroscopes to shave knee cartilage. That has a regret rate of over 30% amd hasn't been shown to really do anything but snip some tissue off.
Try to study the history of this before making such statements. Seriously, things were so bad at one point John Hopkins closed its department for medical transitioning. Things have improved since then.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Kfox

Well, here is the problem of the limit of empirical.

All thoughts and feelings about what matters and how it matters are not real as the tree you mentioned. And that includes all of your evaluations of what is correct or not when it comes to human behavior. That is so for all humans with higher cognitive function.

So that you consider sex and gender to be the same is not real, because your consideration is not empirical.
And now I am going to do a reductio ad absurdum in the broad sense.

Let us say that you and I understand something different to the point that it amounts to a contradiction if consider together. I then claim you don't understand anything at all, because it amounts to a contradiction. The problem is that it works in the other direction too.
So for something where you don't understand another human, it doesn't mean that this other human doesn't understand it differently, just because you don't understand it the same way.

Once you learn to consider in effect the non-empirical parts of human understanding to be variable, you can ask different question than assuming that only your understanding is the correct one.
Do you understand this?
You seem to be confirming the previous point I made; that gender should be discarded; not used in reference to someone, their biology should be used instead. When you divorce gender from biology, gender becomes meaningless because it means different things to different people so it would be foolish to use it to describe someone unless you know that person very well. Biology is empirical, biology is science, biology is real; gender (as redefined by those like you) is none of those things. That's why when I address someone, I address them according to their biology rather than their gender.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
See above
That's right, the article doesn't state that but it does state "minors. So people under age 18. And "gender affirming care" is everything from counseling to hormone replacement therapy to puberty blockers to surgery to remove body parts or add them, according to the law.

Oh, and the state can take custody of any kids being denied any of the above.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You seem to be confirming the previous point I made; that gender should be discarded; not used in reference to someone, their biology should be used instead. When you divorce gender from biology, gender becomes meaningless because it means different things to different people so it would be foolish to use it to describe someone unless you know that person very well. Biology is empirical, biology is science, biology is real; gender (as redefined by those like you) is none of those things. That's why when I address someone, I address them according to their biology rather than their gender.

Can you see the problem with the bold one in regards to real and emperical?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That's right, the article doesn't state that but it does state "minors. So people under age 18. And "gender affirming care" is everything from counseling to hormone replacement therapy to puberty blockers to surgery to remove body parts or add them, according to the law.

So please find a link to the law that states than and post it here. Because the article is not the law.

Kfox

Did you know that modern teaching philosophy doesn't presume the sort of hierarchical power imbalance you're assuming? Especially in higher education, which is the context within which I serve as a teacher?
So modern teaching philosophy comes from the position that the teacher learns just as much from the student, as the student learns from the teacher? I don’t think so.
Did you also know that pointing to experts is a good (and often better way) of informing someone about something rather than using one's own words?
But when the expert is in the form of a link, and this link starts off with an incorrect assumption, and builds it’s entire case around this incorrect assumption, and because it is a link, I am unable to point out the incorrect assumption, allowing the expert to adjust its case accordingly it leads to a complete waste of time. That’s why I would rather talk to people who I can respond to, rather than links.
Are you actually going to read that last page - which I specifically highlighted for a reason - or continue to dance, duck, weave, and make things more complicated than they needed to be?

I mean, I know what the answer is, but I'm giving you one last attempt.
I have no interest in your link, I only have interest in your opinion. If you can’t provide that, I think we’re done here.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So please find a link to the law that states than and post it here. Because the article is not the law.
According to the World Health Organization:

"gender-affirming care refers to a range of social, psychological, behavioral, and medical interventions designed to support and affirm an individual's gender identity when it conflicts with the gender they were assigned at birth."