• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did Jesus Look Like?

Theunis

I already did provide evidence before you wrote this comment. Not side-stepping. But, it is utterly disrespectful and ignorant to assume that I can read and much less reply to a comment right away. I am at work. I reply when I can. Get real!
If I missed or misread your reply then I apologize. But would you please redirect me to the relevant post to see where I may have slipped up.

Theunis

IMHO, Paul's claim of a "vision" wreaks of being fraudulent. Maybe he had a personal awakening. Maybe he had a epileptic fit. Maybe he actually did meet the spirit of Jesus. One thing is for sure, extraordinary claims like this require extraordinary evidence. And, Paul provided absolutely none ... so I have to stay skeptical of his claims.
Or maybe he was zapped by a bright light from an aircraft and the voice from a loudspeaker system boomed at him.:)

Think of Sodom and Gomorrah. It would appear that Sodom has now been discovered -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-matches-descriptions-area-destroyed-God.html

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Or maybe he was zapped by a bright light from an aircraft and the voice from a loudspeaker system boomed at him.:)

Think of Sodom and Gomorrah. It would appear that Sodom has now been discovered -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-matches-descriptions-area-destroyed-God.html
Why is the finding of an ancient city relevant to this discussion? It should be expected that the writers of Biblical texts would have used real city names from back then. Why wouldn't they?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Excavation and Info from a Bible scholar, from a Christian college.

These folks are looking for archaeology they can claim to be Biblical, even if they aren't.

Most places that have been claimed to be Sodom and Gomorrah, have been found to be destroyed before the Hebrew wandered through the area.

cambridge79

I can think to a perfectly rational explanation that would perfectly fit the whole picture including the discovery without involving an angry god throwing nukes at people making orgies ( but somehow sparing the life of a man who offered his daughters for a gang bang in order to spare an angel and that later had sex with both when he was drunk cause he was the only right person there, as if this makes sense )

If you ever wondered, this is what Jesus probably looked like:

moz-screenshot-7.jpg
moz-screenshot-8.jpg

This is how the average height of an ancient middle eastern man compares to modern man...

upload_2015-12-17_23-47-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-17_23-46-7.png
    upload_2015-12-17_23-46-7.png
    173.6 KB · Views: 98

Theunis

These folks are looking for archaeology they can claim to be Biblical, even if they aren't.

Most places that have been claimed to be Sodom and Gomorrah, have been found to be destroyed before the Hebrew wandered through the area.

Agreed. But we all know how mixed up much of the Jewish folklore and history is when it comes to when something is said to have happened. There has been comment by historians and researchers about the veracity and times of events and the chronology of the Old Testament. Thank old C and his RCC cronies for mixing it up some more.
To add to the confusion the Hindus say the Jews used quite a bit of cross-pollination from their writings.

outhouse

Atheistically
To add to the confusion the Hindus say the Jews used quite a bit of cross-pollination from their writings

Its not confusing for the educated. We actually dismiss this rhetoric.

But we all know how mixed up much of the Jewish folklore and history is when it comes to when something is said to have happened

True

There has been comment by historians and researchers about the veracity and times of events and the chronology of the Old Testament

We know it is not as written, in many places.

Thank old C and his RCC cronies for mixing it up some more.

No. They did no such thing.

Theunis

Okay but who says they are not truth seekers and not just a bunch of fanatics? They normally follow the precepts of scientific research.
The Piltdown man was a hoax that lasted about 40 years, it was not some bible puncher who stuck some human and ape bones together. He was a scientific archaeologist.

outhouse

Atheistically
Okay but who says they are not truth seekers and not just a bunch of fanatics?

I do.

They are OBVIOUSLY only offering apologetic rhetoric, and they have no credible evidence to promote their position.

Their conclusion over reaches the work they have done.

They normally follow the precepts of scientific research.

No they do not

The Piltdown man was a hoax that lasted about 40 years

True and science corrected the forgery. NOT ONLY that but science was skeptical from the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piltdown_Man

scientists increasingly regarded Piltdown as an enigmatic aberration inconsistent with the path of hominid evolution as demonstrated by fossils found elsewhere.[1]

, it was not some bible puncher who stuck some human and ape bones together. He was a scientific archaeologist

False. You don't know the topic well enough to even comment. He/she could have been a theist.

This is known as "desperate theist time" when these typical and common weak arguments are used by those with little knowledge on these topics.

Theunis

Its not confusing for the educated. We actually dismiss this rhetoric.
With a degree and an IQ in the top 2-1/2% of the population, and being eclectic, I for one consider, evaluate and find the truth where it is to be found and not where one expects it to be. I have this twisted nerve which make me capable of seeing with my mind. Paranormal, supernatural? No only the as yet not fully understood and unexplained natural.

Old C and the RCC did edit, abridge and condense the writings to fit the pagan religion into the new religion and to make it more palatable for the Pagans. Take the case of Genesis where with, the discovery of the dead sea scrolls it came to light that there are actually two books on Genesis and they were condensed to a few paragraphs.
Darn I read too much, know too much and in this knowledge I am humbled by the fact that I know almost nothing. I do not make notes and references to sources for I see much of what I learn to be general knowledge. There will always be someone who knows something that I and others do not know.

Having previously read the wiki and other sources I know much more of the Piltdown fiasco than you presume I know.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically

outhouse

Atheistically
With a degree and an IQ in the top 2-1/2% of the population

Welcome to the club its overrated, and not something I would use in a forum to give myself credibility if I were to possess such.

And having a fast hard drive is worthless, if it is not filled with knowledge in context.

Old C and the RCC did edit, abridge and condense the writings to fit the pagan religion into the new religion and to make it more palatable for the Pagans.

No.

Hellenist were doing this before jesus was even born. Judaism was born from paganism itself. Christianity was the Hellenistic divorce of cultural Judaism, and much of what your talking about was actually adopted as dogma and it evolved for hundreds of years and cannot be pinned generally to RCC, and it did not effect the text as much as you think.

All of the writings were valued and I have only seen less then credible amateurs promote a RCC as redacting text over what we know. We have ran them out of higher historical knowledge required forums, even the mythicist kicked them out for poor work.

Theunis

Welcome to the club its overrated, and not something I would use in a forum to give myself credibility if I were to possess such.

And having a fast hard drive is worthless, if it is not filled with knowledge in context.
Hmm this was merely based on your unsupported claim of my ignorance and was not aimed at credibility. Perhaps in your bias you saw what you did but it was merely to show that I too am "educated" !
This was a response to what you said and how I perceived it as an insinuation that I am uneducated based on your statement of "not confusing for the educated. We actually dismiss this rhetoric." ( emphasis mine)

Walk in beauty

outhouse

Atheistically
Perhaps in your bias you saw what you did but it was merely to show that I too am "educated" !

I have no bias. But I never stated you were not educated. Nor would I.

I don't think you have a biblical education, it seems pretty obvious. But we are here to serve those who have open minds.

So bringing "context" in a bit. When did "knowledge in context" get confused with lack of education?

outhouse

Atheistically
On what do you base your conclusion? Or is this just an unsubstantiated opinion ?

Sir I sourced my opinion. Please try it.

Yep and they admit it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Southwest_University

Trinity Southwest University (TSU)

TSU does not have educational accreditation.

The school holds that biblical scripture, specifically "the ancient Hebrew Tanakh and the New Testament", is the "divinely inspired representation of reality given by God to humankind, speaking with absolute authority in all matters upon which it touches".[