• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if these Christian beliefs are not true?

PearlSeeker

Christianity will most likely go on like it is for a very long time, waiting and hoping for a Jesus who is never going to return...
That is worse than me waiting and hoping for a new husband I will never have, but at least I am only one person and I am not hurting anyone else.

The waiting part wouldn't be so bad as the realisation after death - that their hope was just a delusion.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
The following list contains some beliefs that are central to Christianity.

1) Jesus is God
2) Jesus is the only way to God
3) Jesus rose from the dead
4) Jesus is going to return to earth

But what if these beliefs are not true?

Of course this is hypothetical since these are beliefs that cannot be proven either true or false.

However, this post is based on the assumption that the above list of beliefs are false.
If that is the case, I have two questions:

- Could Christianity still be a true religion from God?
- How would that change Christianity now and in the future?

I am particularly interested in 4), the belief that Jesus is going to return to earth. Many Christians will continue to wait for Jesus to return as long as they 'believe' that Jesus will return someday, but what if all Christians realized that Jesus is never going to return to earth?

Hello. I hope you are well.

Obviously (from tradition and scripture) your assumptions are false, hence your theological conclusions are also false.

Cheers

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Hello. I hope you are well.

Obviously (from tradition and scripture) your assumptions are false, hence your theological conclusions are also false.

Cheers
Sorry, I do not know what you mean.

Those were not my assumptions or my theological conclusions. The list I posted (1-4) are beliefs that are central to Christianity.

Are you saying that those beliefs are not central to Christianity?

Betho_br

Matthew 10:34 King James Version
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (Jesus)

Revelation 6:4 King James Version
And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.

The challenge of understanding a white horse guided by a victorious figure transforming into red is immense for those considered pseudo-Christians, let alone comprehending the Messiah of the Hebrew Bible.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Tis is an odd way to declare there has never been a messiah...
How so? If he died, it would be the case. But since he can come back - it cannot be denied he is the Messiah on those grounds. Also Enoch is a foreshadow of souls being kept alive for end time. It's not only Elijah that comes back but so will Enoch. What's the purpose of showing Enoch to be alive? And Elijah being alive? There surely is an important day they been saved for.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Because Messiah by definition would rule the world and establish world peace and justice.
By whose definition?
According to the OT the Messiah will establish world peace and justice but it says nothing about him ruling the world.

Even if Jesus had not died on the cross he would have died a natural death, so he could never have been the Messiah who fulfills the OT prophecies to establish peace and justice.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
How so? If he died, it would be the case. But since he can come back - it cannot be denied he is the Messiah on those grounds. Also Enoch is a foreshadow of souls being kept alive for end time. It's not only Elijah that comes back but so will Enoch. What's the purpose of showing Enoch to be alive? And Elijah being alive? There surely is an important day they been saved for.
You said "Messiah by definition would rule the world and establish world peace and justice"

Since there has not been world peace or justice, there can not have been, by definition, a messiah...

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
By whose definition?
According to the OT the Messiah will establish world peace and justice but it says nothing about him ruling the world.
By what was deemed a Messiah by traditions and scripture at that time. If Messiah was not that special position, then, Quran would have not gave the title uniquely to Isa (a). In generic terms, it just means anointed by God as a king or authority, but all Prophets are that. Isa (a) is claimed to be uniquely this, and so we can see it's a station that other Prophets don't share.

Just like Imams are all Qaims and Mahdis per hadiths, but then there is "the Mahdi" "the Qaim", it's the same with the Messiah.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You said "Messiah by definition would rule the world and establish world peace and justice"

Since there has not been world peace or justice, there can not have been, by definition, a messiah...
Yes, the Messiah work has not been done. The Mahdi is yet to complete his mission as well.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

By @Link s definition there has never been a messiah, but that does not mean there has never been a messiah.

No scriptures say that the messiah will rule the world and establish world peace and justice himself. The OT says that there will be peace and justice but it does not say that the messiah will be the one to establish peace and justice. These are prophecies about what will happen during the messianic age, an age which was ushered in by the messiah. The messiah did judge among nations.

And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
Isaiah 2:4 KJV - Bible.com

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
By @Link s definition there has never been a messiah, but that does not mean there has never been a messiah.

No scriptures say that the messiah will rule the world and establish world peace and justice himself. The OT says that there will be peace and justice but it does not say that the messiah will be the one to establish peace and justice. These are prophecies about what will happen during the messianic age, an age which was ushered in by the messiah. The messiah did judge among nations.

And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
Isaiah 2:4 KJV - Bible.com

What does it mean by himself? Of course, no one does it by himself. That would make the whole call to others to help meaningless. The greatest factor to justice being establish and main catalyst is the Imam Mahdi (a). But his cause is linked to the twelve predecessors including Mohammad (s).

The Mahdi (a) right now works through believers to establish justice. Secret meetings, secret plans. When the smoke clears and justice is established, we will know how big of role he played during occultation and the rising will be obvious.

Jesus (a) will be a judge and ruler under Imam Mahdi (a) at the end times as the many hadiths show. In fact, he will be second in command and the wazir of Imam Mahdi (a).

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus (a) will be a judge and ruler under Imam Mahdi (a) at the end times as the many hadiths show.
Jesus is not going to come back to this earth to do anything as the NT scriptures show.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Jesus never claimed to be a king, and Jesus never said He was coming back to earth to judge and rule.

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

These two verses in John 18 completely negate that Jesus is the King of this world or that Jesus will ever come to this world to rule it, and they fit perfectly together with John 17:4 and John 17:11. Jesus came into this world to bear witness unto the truth about God. He did that so there is no more reason for Jesus to come back to this world again. That is why Jesus said “I am no more in the world.”

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus is not going to come back to this earth to do anything as the NT scriptures show.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Jesus never claimed to be a king, and Jesus never said He was coming back to earth to judge and rule.

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

These two verses in John 18 completely negate that Jesus is the King of this world or that Jesus will ever come to this world to rule it, and they fit perfectly together with John 17:4 and John 17:11. Jesus came into this world to bear witness unto the truth about God. He did that so there is no more reason for Jesus to come back to this world again. That is why Jesus said “I am no more in the world.”
That just means he is no more of this world for now. You see it as forever. But he didn't say that. I would agree with you we would assume that it means forever unless clarification is given elsewhere. And else where it shows he ascends to heaven and will come back.

The purpose is to show the praised one (Mohammad) to come and Elijah (a) will hold the position of light and holy spirit till Mohammad (s) who is also the holy spirit.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That just means he is no more of this world for now.
The verses do not say 'for now.' No more means no more.

No more means no further, never again.

no more

nothing further.

"there was no more to be said about it"

no further.
"you must have some soup, but no more wine"

exist no longer.
"the patch of ground was overgrown and the hut was no more"

never again.
"mention his name no more to me"

neither.
"I had no complaints and no more did Tom"

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The verses do not say 'for now.' No more means no more.
Yes, but languages other then English are very much contextual. They don't repeat and add stuff if context else where gives that meaning. Since he emphasized he will ascend to heaven and return to earth at the end times, it's understood "for a period of time" implicitly.