• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which text from the Christian Bible uniquely proves that Jesus is Almighty God?

jimb

Premium Member
Show me the word for “fully” in the Greek text.

You can’t, because it is not there.

So now you’re telling us you approve of adding words to the Bible?
I am debating whether to play your silly game or not. But because you clearly don't understand Bible translation...

Translating from Koine Greek to modern English is an art as well as a science. If you think that just because a word appears in one translation and not another it is not there you are totally wrong. Have a look at the lengthy translators note C on this verse in the NET Bible if you want to gain some understanding. Or you can continue in your shallow understanding and make absurd statements, as you have done here.

It's your choice. Learn something or not.

cataway

all you have really done was to insert a contradiction of scripture into scripture to promote something you only think is there. you are willing to lie to make it happen.. ah ,,without changing John 1:1 the whole doctrine of trinity falls apart .

jimb

Premium Member
all you have really done was to insert a contradiction of scripture into scripture to promote something you only think is there. you are willing to lie to make it happen.. ah ,,without changing John 1:1 the whole doctrine of trinity falls apart .
All you have really done is show your lack of knowledge about Bible translation and accuse me of lying because of your ignorance.

Clearly you are unable to understand the truth.

Betho_br

The Doctrine of the Trinity does not depend on John 1:1, John 20:28, Romans 9:5, Philippians 2:6-7. a Catholic doctor ignores anyone who uses these verses to prove the doctrine of the Trinity.

jimb

Premium Member
The Doctrine of the Trinity does not depend on John 1:1, John 20:28, Romans 9:5, Philippians 2:6-7. a Catholic doctor ignores anyone who uses these verses to prove the doctrine of the Trinity.
It doesn't matter if a "Catholic doctor" or anyone else ignores those verses to prove the doctrine of the Trinity. The Trinity is a divine fact.

There are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, three aspects of the one God. It is plain and obvious to those of us who understand it. Of course, we use the Bible -- God's word -- to show those who doubt the truth of the Trinity. But basically it comes down to whether a person is spiritually enlightened to receive and understand the truth, or s/he is not.

It is often fruitless to try to explain the Trinity to those whose minds and hearts remain closed to the truth, but those of us who have been enlightened feel obligated to enlighten others.

It doesn't matter if, out of ignorance, people try to deny the existence of the Trinity and try to humiliate those of us who make an attempt to explain what we know.

William Tyndale’s final words before the chain around his neck strangled him to death were, “Lord, open the king of England’s eyes.” My hope and prayer is that those who lack understanding will also have their eyes opened.

P.S. Read my "signature" below.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
He said also that he and the father were one, and he did pray to the Father. Not himself. If he were God, even "God in the flesh," he could pray to himself.

Many years ago, I loved to read patristic literature. Some of my favorite writers were Athanasius of Alexandria, John of Damascus, and John Chrysostom. I even familiarized myself with the texts of the Seven Ecumenical Synods. Additionally, I noticed some of the differences between Eastern and Western Christian theology. Consequently, I have some idea how a Trinitarian could defend the divinity of Jesus in response to your words above. What follows is a defense.

God the Father is the source of both the Son and the Holy Spirit. Considering that the Son is begotten of the Father, and the Spirit proceeds from the Father, the Son and the Spirit naturally have the same essence as the Father. That essence is the divine essence, of which there is only one and it is indivisible. Therefore, the Son and the Spirit are what the Father is in essence—God. They are not who the Father is in personhood because the three persons are distinct in personhood. Moreover, among the three persons, the Father is primary with respect to the relations between himself and his Son and Holy Spirit (This is particularly the Eastern view). That is why Jesus speaks of his Father as ‘God’ and addresses him as ‘God.’ Considering that the Father is primary among the three persons, Jesus would not pray to himself despite sharing the same divine essence as his Father.

I hope this is helpful in some way. I am sure that @jimb would agree with all that I have written.

jimb

Premium Member
Many years ago, I loved to read patristic literature. Some of my favorite writers were Athanasius of Alexandria, John of Damascus, and John Chrysostom. I even familiarized myself with the texts of the Seven Ecumenical Synods. Additionally, I noticed some of the differences between Eastern and Western Christian theology. Consequently, I have some idea how a Trinitarian could defend the divinity of Jesus in response to your words above. What follows is a defense.

God the Father is the source of both the Son and the Holy Spirit. Considering that the Son is begotten of the Father, and the Spirit proceeds from the Father, the Son and the Spirit naturally have the same essence as the Father. That essence is the divine essence, of which there is only one and it is indivisible. Therefore, the Son and the Spirit are what the Father is in essence—God. They are not who the Father is in personhood because the three persons are distinct in personhood. Moreover, among the three persons, the Father is primary with respect to the relations between himself and his Son and Holy Spirit (This is particularly the Eastern view). That is why Jesus speaks of his Father as ‘God’ and addresses him as ‘God.’ Considering that the Father is primary among the three persons, Jesus would not pray to himself despite sharing the same divine essence as his Father.

I hope this is helpful in some way. I am sure that @jimb would agree with all that I have written.
Yes, I agree with what you have written. And written clearly and well.

I have one small thing that I would add: when Jesus was a person on Earth, he was fully human, so of course, as a human, he prayed to God. That serves as a model. (When His disciples asked Him how they should pray, He began with "Our Father in heaven..."). There is no record of Him praying when He was (and is) in heaven).

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
It is obvious that some people cannot understand the concept of the Trinity. Therefore, they come up with all kinds of bizarre arguments why the Trinity doesn't exist. I am afraid that until God "opens their eyes" to the truth, they will continue in their denial of what some of us know to be the truth.

cataway

"The origin of the conception is entirely pagan"​

Egyptologist Arthur Weigall, while himself a Trinitarian, summed up the influence of ancient beliefs on the adoption of the Trinity doctrine by the Catholic Church in the following excerpt from his previously cited book:

"It must not be forgotten that Jesus Christ never mentioned such a phenomenon [the Trinity], and nowhere in the New Testament does the word 'Trinity' appear. The idea was only adopted by the Church three hundred years after the death of our Lord; and the origin of the conception is entirely pagan

from How Ancient Trinitarian Gods Influenced Adoption of the Trinity

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
Jesus says many words to guide us in our lives, why are we putting faith In words he never spoke? Did Jesus ever explain the Trinity Doctrine?

Last edited:

walt

If a teaching does not depend on scriptures and ignores people that find verses, what benefit Is it for us to have a Bible?

Do you believe what a church teaches over what the scriptures explain?

jimb

Premium Member
I know he prayed to the Father. He said also that he and the father were one, and he did pray to the Father. Not himself. If he were God, even "God in the flesh," he could pray to himself.
It is really sad that your understanding is so limited! Why would any person pray to himself? When Jesus was fully human He prayed to God and taught His disciples: "So pray this way: Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored" Matthew 6:9

He was not God when He was fully human. Before He became human, He was God in heaven, and after He was resurrected, He returned to being God in heaven.

Why is your understanding so limited? Why not pray and ask God to open your "spiritual eyes" to the truth?

BTW, I was an atheist until age 34, when God revealed Himself to me.
Jesus explains things to his followers and in private conversations with his disciples, I don't understand why Jesus words are not valuable and why people would rather talk about things Jesus never talked about?

Why are Jesus words of such little importance?
Because some people have "hard hearts", so they can't understand Jesus' true message. Instead, they come up with false ideas, just like the pharisees and sadducees.

Of course, Jesus' words are important and have been so for roughly 2,000 years.

walt

so they can't understand Jesus' true message.
Wouldn't Jesus true message be something he actually spoke?

Wouldn't a true message from Jesus be something he talks about? Something like John 17:3 ?

Why did Jesus never explain His true message "the Doctrine of Trinity" ?

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
Wouldn't Jesus true message be something he actually spoke?

Wouldn't a true message from Jesus be something he talks about? Something like John 17:3 ?
Of course, John 17:3 -- Now this is eternal life—that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you sent -- is not only true, but extremely important.

As you know, every word that Jesus spoke was the truth. And He Himself is the truth! In John 14:6, Jesus said “I am the way, and the truth, and the life..."

walt

Of course, John 17:3 -- Now this is eternal life—that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you sent -- is not only true, but extremely important.

As you know, every word that Jesus spoke was the truth. And He Himself is the truth! In John 14:6, Jesus said “I am the way, and the truth, and the life..."
Do you believe Jesus words in his prayer to his Father: that they know you, the only true God?

This is Jesus words, Didn't Jesus leave these words in the Bible for us to follow and understand?

jimb

Premium Member
Do you believe Jesus words in his prayer to his Father: that they know you, the only true God?

This is Jesus words, Didn't Jesus leave these words in the Bible for us to follow and understand?
Of course I believe Jesus, Walt. Why do you even ask such a question?

What would you think if I asked "Walt, do you believe Jesus words in his prayer to his Father: that they know you, the only true God?"

walt

Wouldn't you agree Jesus does not talk about this subject a lot?

But shouldn't we value when Jesus says anything that sounds important? And when Jesus does not bother to explain a doctrine, wouldn't this be at the bottom of our list of essential messages from Jesus?

walt

Of course I believe Jesus, Walt. Why do you even ask such a question?

What would you think if I asked "Walt, do you believe Jesus words in his prayer to his Father: that they know you, the only true God?"
Why I asked is, Jesus states to his Father, You are the only true God, excluding himself.

Honestly Shouldn't Jesus words guide both of us to believe the only true God is the Father?

walt

Berean Literal Bible
in whom the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelieving, so as for not to beam forth the illumination of the gospel of the glory of Christ,...
2 Corinthians 4:4

He has blinded my mind many times, I read the Bible constantly to reject things that Jesus does not actually say!

Isn't this why we have 10,000 different religions in the world. Why do you feel we have so many religions?