• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Or What Is Israel?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Nope, not genetics.

Nope. Not "spiritual". That's a con, a lie, false man made doctrine. Acts 1, it's right there. Jesus confirms there is no "spiritual Israel". It's a lie, and it's identity theft.

Nope. That's a recruitment tactic in the christian bible. It's flipping and twisting scripture in order to make false promises.

You're missing the most important word in the verse, you quoted it in the OP, though.

It's not an ideal translation, but, the key-word is bold and blue above. It's common practice, The King often sends the prince as an emissary to the other nations beyond the King's territory. While on their mission the prince IS the King's proxy. The Prince can speak for the King, in the King's name, if anything happens to the Prince while they are in the other nations territory, it is considered an atttack on the King themself. Makes sense? The power is granted to Israel ( and the House of Jacob ) as a proxy for God on earth.

If I recall, this is what the name actually means. And if you look at the verse in hebrew, the Sar is emphasized.

Yisrael. Yi-Sar-El. Eternal Guardian of EL. A "Sar" is a holy gaurdian.

ויאמר לא יעקב יאמר עוד שמך כי אם־ישראל כי־שרית עם־אלהים ועם־אנשים ותוכל׃
So far as I see it the messiah for many has not come. And many Jews do not feel "called" to live in Israel. Although I am relieved that many Holocaust survivors managed to get to Israel. Sad that we still have horrible wars and hatreds. I believe the Bible when it says all wars will cease. What a wonderful promise to look forward to!
Psalm 46:9 He is bringing an end to wars throughout the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
He burns the military wagons with fire.
10 “Give in and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations;
I will be exalted in the earth.”

Bthoth

So far as I see it the messiah for many has not come. And many Jews do not feel "called" to live in Israel.
Jews are better than to succumb to misleading belief that israel is holy land.

Israel: The Jewish State or haven for all? | USU

Although I am relieved that many Holocaust survivors managed to get to Israel.

I wish that they would have come here:

"""An estimated 25% of the Holocaust survivors in Israel live in poverty, mostly Soviet immigrants who arrived in the 1980s and 1990s.Jan 27, 2020"""

PBS
https://www.pbs.org › newshour › world › one-third-o...

Jan 27, 2022 — Yet among Israel's estimated 165,000 survivors, roughly one in three lives in poverty, according to a survivors' advocacy group.

Israel does not care about them victims of ww2. They will use the term holocaust to impose guilt and beg for donation but israelis have no conscious of the actual people that survived and need help.

Send them here where 'we the people' can actually help and record their stories for the children to learn.

YoursTrue

View attachment 86788

"""An estimated 25% of the Holocaust survivors in Israel live in poverty, mostly Soviet immigrants who arrived in the 1980s and 1990s.Jan 27, 2020"""

PBS

Jan 27, 2022 — Yet among Israel's estimated 165,000 survivors, roughly one in three lives in poverty, according to a survivors' advocacy group.

Israel does not care about them victims of ww2. They will use the term holocaust to impose guilt and beg for donation but israelis have no conscious of the actual people that survived and need help.

Send them here where 'we the people' can actually help and record their stories for the children to learn.
That's the world. Sad.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Thinking about you and wonder if you think the idea of a messiah is a myth too.
Judaism teaches the coming of the messiah, but it is not an important aspect of our faith. To be really honest with you, I have not given this a lot of thought.

YoursTrue

Judaism teaches the coming of the messiah, but it is not an important aspect of our faith. To be really honest with you, I have not given this a lot of thought.
When I went to synagogue (for years) I was not taught much about it, although I heard about it but not much when I went to classes at my family synagogue.* As you said, it was rarely discussed. (hmm, now I wonder ... why ... :) )
In fact the rabbi there went on to be rather famous but I won't talk about that. Perhaps you heard of Bar Kochba? I did not hear about him when I went to synagogue (for years), but later when I began studying the Bible, I heard about it and called the Jewish Theological Seminary to have some questions answered. In comparison to what I was learning (and still am), I am satisfied that I am learning properly without prejudice. But anyway, have you heard of Bar Kochba? Interesting story ... and coming from NYC there was a big deal about M. Schneerson when he was alive as if he were the messiah but I doubt you think he is (was). Nobody followed him though into the grave or the sea insofar as I know. Although one woman told me that if he wasn't the Messiah (when he was alive), she's finished with hoping since her son died and I guess she thought M. Schneerson could raise the dead. But he died and is still in the grave. Hasn't come out yet.
Anyway, where I live now there are signs memorializing M. Schneerson and more. But -- I'll just leave it there for the moment.
*In fact, one of the things I learned is that God could be like a big eye never blinking. That was scary since I really appreciated later on learning more about the Bible. Be that as it may -- hope you have a good day. :)
Today I spoke to an orthodox Jewish man and perhaps I'll tell you more about that later. :) Take care.

IndigoChild5559

When I went to synagogue (for years) I was not taught much about it, although I heard about it but not much when I went to classes at my family synagogue.* As you said, it was rarely discussed. (hmm, now I wonder ... why ... :) )
In fact the rabbi there went on to be rather famous but I won't talk about that. Perhaps you heard of Bar Kochba? I did not hear about him when I went to synagogue (for years), but later when I began studying the Bible, I heard about it and called the Jewish Theological Seminary to have some questions answered. In comparison to what I was learning (and still am), I am satisfied that I am learning properly without prejudice. But anyway, have you heard of Bar Kochba? Interesting story ... and coming from NYC there was a big deal about M. Schneerson when he was alive as if he were the messiah but I doubt you think he is (was). Nobody followed him though into the grave or the sea insofar as I know. Although one woman told me that if he wasn't the Messiah (when he was alive), she's finished with hoping since her son died and I guess she thought M. Schneerson could raise the dead. But he died and is still in the grave. Hasn't come out yet.
Anyway, where I live now there are signs memorializing M. Schneerson and more. But -- I'll just leave it there for the moment.
*In fact, one of the things I learned is that God could be like a big eye never blinking. That was scary since I really appreciated later on learning more about the Bible. Be that as it may -- hope you have a good day. :)
Today I spoke to an orthodox Jewish man and perhaps I'll tell you more about that later. :) Take care.
YoursTrue I have a basic knowledge of Jewish history, so yes I know about various false messiahs, whether Bar Kochba, Shneerson, Sabatai Zevi, or Jesus.

I have a real appreciation of Rebbe Schneerson. He was a truly righteous man. But no, he never fulfilled the criteria of the messiah.

It's nice to know that you actually talk to real Jews IRL. Keep in mind that I'm not an orthodox Jew. I'm affiliated with the Conservative movement.

YoursTrue

YoursTrue I have a basic knowledge of Jewish history, so yes I know about various false messiahs, whether Bar Kochba, Shneerson, Sabatai Zevi, or Jesus.

I have a real appreciation of Rebbe Schneerson. He was a truly righteous man. But no, he never fulfilled the criteria of the messiah.

It's nice to know that you actually talk to real Jews IRL. Keep in mind that I'm not an orthodox Jew. I'm affiliated with the Conservative movement.
OK, conservative. We went to a reform synagogue for years. The man I spoke to was polite but mentioned that we (humans) need to take action to stop wars. I was a bit surprised since wars have been happening for centuries upon centuries.
Then we had WWI and WWII. And the religious hatred and intolerance is continuing among many. I believe (and it makes sense to me) what Psalm 46:9,10 says:
"He makes wars to cease throughout the earth;
He burns the shields in the fire.
“Be still and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted over the earth.”

I deeply look forward to this.

YoursTrue

View attachment 86788

PBS
You know what I find interesting about your comment above regarding poverty? Especially at this time of year there are myriads of ads on TV asking for donations for animals, veterans, hospitals, and more. Poor people like you say in other countries, poor people in the U.S., among many causes. And I think, me oh my, so much money in the world but so many people (and animals) are in miserable condition.
*P.S. My family have relatives living in Israel who escaped from the onslaught of many. My mother taught me about the pogroms of Russia. What a difficult world for so many. Yet life is a gift we cannot ignore as far as I am concerned. Take care.

Bthoth

You know what I find interesting about your comment above regarding poverty? Especially at this time of year there are myriads of ads on TV asking for donations for animals, veterans, hospitals, and more. Poor people like you say in other countries, poor people in the U.S., among many causes. And I think, me oh my, so much money in the world but so many people (and animals) are in miserable condition.

I know, the US congress sends about 3.5 billion to israel and they blow up unarmed civilians while leaving the actual holocaust survivors in poverty
*P.S. My family have relatives living in Israel who escaped from the onslaught of many. My mother taught me about the pogroms of Russia. What a difficult world for so many. Yet life is a gift we cannot ignore as far as I am concerned. Take care.
The appreciation of life and being alive, is a gift in itself.

As you chat about messiah. Let the group know, that the guy that they are looking for will never set foot in israel, no matter what kind of animal sacrificing they burn up. That city of blood is ruined.

YoursTrue

I know, the US congress sends about 3.5 billion to israel and they blow up unarmed civilians while leaving the actual holocaust survivors in poverty

The appreciation of life and being alive, is a gift in itself.

As you chat about messiah. Let the group know, that the guy that they are looking for will never set foot in israel, no matter what kind of animal sacrificing they burn up. That city of blood is ruined.
We all must reckon some things for ourselves. Again -- it seems a bit incongruous to me that (so many) groups are looking for donations for various things. Yet you have to wonder why do the nations not have enough money to support their residents? Do away with crime? The question is really bigger than any nation on earth now can handle, as we see. Or any group of people. So then perhaps you might mention what you believe about a or 'the' messiah. And perhaps we can have a nice discussion about this. It's an interesting discussion, perhaps.
Furthermore, various religious groups that claim to base their view on the Bible have very different ideas about what or who is the Messiah and what he will do for mankind.

IndigoChild5559

OK, conservative. We went to a reform synagogue for years. The man I spoke to was polite but mentioned that we (humans) need to take action to stop wars. I was a bit surprised since wars have been happening for centuries upon centuries.
Then we had WWI and WWII. And the religious hatred and intolerance is continuing among many. I believe (and it makes sense to me) what Psalm 46:9,10 says:
"He makes wars to cease throughout the earth;
He burns the shields in the fire.
“Be still and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted over the earth.”

I deeply look forward to this.
When I lived out in the country, there was only one synagogue and it was Reform. Although it wasn't a perfect fit, over all it was a wonderful community and I will look back with fond memories of my many years there.

One of the things I admire most about the Reform is their not sitting around and waiting for God to make the world a better place. They make it their business to pursue peace and justice. I think that's outstanding.

YoursTrue

When I lived out in the country, there was only one synagogue and it was Reform. Although it wasn't a perfect fit, over all it was a wonderful community and I will look back with fond memories of my many years there.

One of the things I admire most about the Reform is their not sitting around and waiting for God to make the world a better place. They make it their business to pursue peace and justice. I think that's outstanding.
That hasn't worked out too well with regard to improving the situations in the world. At least the Chassid in this area used to approach others and ask if they were Jewish and then invite them to their synagogue (only if they professed to be Jewish). I see that's not happening much anymore although there is a fairly large noticeable contingent of M. Schneerson's followers around here. Saturdays especially they walk with their children to the synagogue. And of course do not take cars or buses to get where they're going.

YoursTrue

May I ask how you think the reform Jews in particular pursue peace and justice? Just wondering...

Bthoth

We all must reckon some things for ourselves. Again -- it seems a bit incongruous to me that (so many) groups are looking for donations for various things. Yet you have to wonder why do the nations not have enough money to support their residents? Do away with crime? The question is really bigger than any nation on earth now can handle, as we see. Or any group of people. So then perhaps you might mention what you believe about a or 'the' messiah. And perhaps we can have a nice discussion about this. It's an interesting discussion, perhaps.
Furthermore, various religious groups that claim to base their view on the Bible have very different ideas about what or who is the Messiah and what he will do for mankind.
The bringer of light, unveils what has been long sought, 'the holy of holies' (the name) of god. Enabling minds to understand what IS REAL. Calling in the 12 (tent of meetings) to complete the 'book of life" (owners manual) for mankind.

The war of wars is all mankinds doing: the cities and toys end up gone and the return to what is important begins; LIFE. The knowledge survives, the toys dont.

I've done that homework in many many disciplines of theology.

It's Stupid Easy!