• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are some people obsessed with race, gender, and generation ?

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
I also did generalize, for which I apologize.

I also don't want to pass legislation that would ban anything. I'm quite happy with what we have.
We are in agreement in this respect.
I apologize for the sharpness in my previous post.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
What do you see as current issues which are stopping your being included?

For instance, same-sex marriage has been legalized; transsexuals have legal recognition and protections, they can get hormones and so on on their insurance in the US. Here the NHS covers such things usually.

What would you like to see in order to improve upon this?
People to leave us the hell alone and let us exist without politicizing everything about our existence. Leave us alone to be more like normal, regular ******* people rather than taking it on themselves to intrude into ourlives and business and making it so clear and obvious they only know what their RW bigot personality told them and are incapable of logically working out the medical aspects of treatment.

Ignatius A

Arguably, the US has been multicultural for the vast majority of its existence. Do you think Dutch and Irish immigrants to the US had the same culture, or that the British settlers and Native Americans had the same culture? Immigrants are and have always been firmly embedded in the history, accomplishments, and development of the US. I don't see why that's supposed to be some sort of negative thing now.
Not arguably, it has been but multicultural is not the same as multiculturalism. I grew up in a city with Poles, Italians, Germans, Portuguese etc etc. It was great because every year they all had their cultural festivals. The food was great but everyone of them thought of themselves as Americans not hyphenated Americans. They were damn proud of their cultures but never more than being American. That's no longer the case.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Women’s history is not for the squeamish.

There’s a reason why the gundamentalist is so afraid of Women that he barged into a discussion of Women’s history and called on the authorities to shut it down.
I'm all for championing women and girls, promoting women's rights, and continuing to work on true equality.

But I think the word "patriarchy" is needlessly divisive, it often ends up pitting women against all men, when many men are women's allies.

Ignatius A

Patriots don't show pride by being paranoid, armed bafoons looking for an excuse to start shooting. So many of those fake RW cardboard cutout "patriots" don't even know or follow the Flag code, so they can shut the hell up about their tin facade of patriotism.
How do you know what they know? You just sound bitter

Shadow Wolf

Because misery loves company.
That's a lesson we all need to contimplate and consider and reflect upon it as we interact with others and they interact with others.
Probably something truly better to start teaching and reinforcing young, but it's difficult to realize when this is you, it's even harder to realize and accept it's another. But it probably could help heal the world if we all made an effort to give more hugs than scorn and realize those who are angry are probably themselves hurting.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Both are available here.

Same-sex couples in the United Kingdom (not including Scotland) have had the right to adopt since 2002, following the Adoption and Children Act 2002.

Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013. In 2013, Parliament passed the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act which introduced civil marriage for same-sex couples in England and Wales.
The biggest story in LGBT issues centered around trans rights in America, especially in red states. Republicans passed sweeping bills in red states that banned gender confirming health care for minors – with a clear plan to target all trans health care eventually.​
They passed bans on drag performance, many of which have been blocked by the courts for being unconstitutional.​
They passed laws banning legal gender change.​
They passed laws banning trans people from sex-segregated bathrooms, change rooms, and sports teams.​
They banned discussion of queer topics in classrooms or libraries – and again, these are subject to constitutional challenges across the country.​
They even censured a trans state representative in Montana over the most asinine reason – a tactic state Republicans have started using with abandon against minority Democratic legislators in a couple of states.​
Many of these bills were passed despite strong local objection, and over the vetoes of both Democratic and Republican governors.​
The sheer volume of anti-trans legislation has been hard to keep up with, to be honest. I recommend you follow @ErinInTheMorn on Twitter and Substack for regular updates on these laws across the country.​

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
But I think the word "patriarchy" is needlessly divisive, it often ends up pitting women against all men, when many men are women's allies.
I would argue the contrary.

Defining patriarchy as the enemy of the feminist movement was a way of getting away from the narrative that feminism was against men. Patriarchy is a system that should be opposed, not a statement about any given man or group of men.

Many feminists, such as Bell Hooks, have put extensive effort into studying and writing about how patriarchy hurts men too.

Shadow Wolf

How do you know what they know? You just sound bitter
I know what the Flag Code is an it makes it obvious when others don't based on how they treat, display and store a flag.
Here's a part of it. Displaying tattered flags offends the Flag Code. You are not to do it, and worn and tattered flags are to be disposed of with dignity. The same goes with wearing the flag. That's a no. Real patriots know being a patriot is more than expressing a word of identity.
Amd, yes, I am bitter these wankers amd their "cut along the line" sense of patriotism who couldn't pass a citizenship test if their life depended on it are trying to hijack my country.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
The biggest story in LGBT issues centered around trans rights in America, especially in red states. Republicans passed sweeping bills in red states that banned gender confirming health care for minors – with a clear plan to target all trans health care eventually.
I agree with banning these things for children. Not for everyone.

They passed bans on drag performance, many of which have been blocked by the courts for being unconstitutional.
This I disagree with. I love drag. Is there a context for this? If drag is infront of children, then no. Drag is by nature a sexualized performance.

They passed laws banning legal gender change.
Disagree with this.

They passed laws banning trans people from sex-segregated bathrooms, change rooms, and sports teams.
I agree with the sports one based on bone structure and muscle mass in transwomen.

I disagree with this bathroom lunacy. Were up up to me, I'd have single-person toilets for whoever needs to use them.

They banned discussion of queer topics in classrooms or libraries – and again, these are subject to constitutional challenges across the country.They even censured a trans state representative in Montana over the most asinine reason – a tactic state Republicans have started using with abandon against minority Democratic legislators in a couple of states.

I'd ban this for under 12s. I am pro-sex education for any kind of sex, however. I believe this should begin at puberty.

We disagree on some stuff, but I'm not interested in arguing. You're obviously more socially liberal than me and we'd just be talking past each other.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Defining patriarchy as the enemy of the feminist movement was a way of getting away from the narrative that feminism was against men. Patriarchy is a system that should be opposed, not a statement about any given man or group of men.

Many feminists, such as Bell Hooks, have put extensive effort into studying and writing about how patriarchy hurts men too.
I suspect that in theory you are correct. But in practice, the term often seems to create division.

Ignatius A

How does one say the patriarchy should be opposed and the try and claim it's not a statement about any given man or group of men? Isnt the patriarchy by definition a group of men? It seems like an attempt to split a hair the holes of sounding less angry.

Ignatius A

I know what the Flag Code is an it makes it obvious when others don't based on how they treat, display and store a flag.
Here's a part of it. Displaying tattered flags offends the Flag Code. You are not to do it, and worn and tattered flags are to be disposed of with dignity. The same goes with wearing the flag. That's a no. Real patriots know being a patriot is more than expressing a word of identity.
Amd, yes, I am bitter these wankers amd their "cut along the line" sense of patriotism who couldn't pass a citizenship test if their life depended on it are trying to hijack my country
That wasnt my question but thanks.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Patriots don't show pride by being paranoid, armed bafoons looking for an excuse to start shooting. So many of those fake RW cardboard cutout "patriots" don't even know or follow the Flag code, so they can shut the hell up about their tin facade of patriotism.
I think I might be a closet patriot. I've never approved/appreciated people wearing representations of the flag all over their bodies. Heck, I don't mind people having a flag in their yard as long as they do it right and bring it in every night. Which most don't do it right.

Crap. I think I was in the Scouts too long.