• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did god create homosexuality?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
My asexuality is because of the corruption of my nature?
Then how can homosexuals not be homosexuals if they are born homosexuals? God clearly says homosexuality is a sin so essentially he condemns a person just for being born
No, God doesn't ever say "homosexuality is a sin."

sojourner

Well, would like to ask your opinion on these:

Does love have to be expressed with sex? Is sex a kind of love?
Do you believe there is such a thing called 'lust'?
If yes, what is 'lust' and as far as concerned with sex, how do you differentiate if it is love or lust? Are all relations true love? How do we know if a relation is true love or not?
Whether it's selfish or selfless is a pretty good benchmark.

sojourner

except, same sex people cannot make babies. Then in that case, having a family can be having sisters, brothers and friends.
So? Barren heterosexual couples can't have babies either.

[The members of "The People's Front of Judea" are sitting in the amphitheatre. Stan has just announced that he wants to be a woman and wants to be called "Loretta," and is explaining why.]
Stan: I want to have babies.
Reg: You want to have babies?!?!
Stan: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
Reg: But ... you can't HAVE babies!
Stan: Don't you oppress me!
Reg: I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

From here:Life of Brian - Wikiquote

sojourner

True. So, if they married for this purpose, which was the true purpose and cannot have babies, they should seek medical help.
"Having babies" is not the "true purpose" of marriage. The true purpose of marriage is relationship. Gen 2:18: "It is not good that the man should be alone. I will make him a helper..."

Sultan Of Swing

No. The act is not sinful, either, within the bounds of proper relationship between people.

Got any Biblical evidence to back that up?

Much of Jesus' message was about love, of course. But to interpret it as allowing homosexuality is a bit of a stretch. Jesus Himself said marriage is between a man and a woman. He made no exceptions.

sojourner

Got any Biblical evidence to back that up?

Much of Jesus' message was about love, of course. But to interpret it as allowing homosexuality is a bit of a stretch. Jesus Himself said marriage is between a man and a woman. He made no exceptions.
Got lots of exegetical evidence. Since the biblical writers had no concept for homosexuality as an orientation, they would not have had Jesus include that orientation when he spoke of marriage.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Got lots of exegetical evidence. Since the biblical writers had no concept for homosexuality as an orientation, they would not have had Jesus include that orientation when he spoke of marriage.

He makes a fair point and as it happens I've read a few exegetical works on homosexuality and the Bible

Sultan Of Swing

Didn't they?

Clement of Alexandria, from the 2nd century, acknowledged that there were men who had a natural aversion to women, and were called to lives of celibacy and shouldn't marry. He said that these men were eunuchs from birth, much like how Jesus said in Matt 19:12.

Matthew 19:12 - For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.

sojourner

Didn't they?

Clement of Alexandria, from the 2nd century, acknowledged that there were men who had a natural aversion to women, and were called to lives of celibacy and shouldn't marry. He said that these men were eunuchs from birth, much like how Jesus said in Matt 19:12.

Matthew 19:12 - For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.
Clement of Alexandria was not Jesus of Nazareth -- nor even the biblical writers. "Natural aversion to women" =/= "homosexual orientation." Jesus was not talking about homosexual orientation when he speaks of "eunuchs." And to say that he was is dishonest and naive.

C'mon, Sultan -- you're a better man than this!

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Sojourner maybe you know more about this than I do, but aren't some Greek scholars of the opinion the Roman general's servant Jesus healed of illness may have been his male lover?

If indeed he was Jesus didn't judge the Roman or discriminate

Either way homosexuality was normal in Roman society. You'd think Jesus could be specific if he opposed it

sojourner

Sojourner maybe you know more about this than I do, but aren't some Greek scholars of the opinion the Roman general's servant Jesus healed of illness may have been his male lover?

If indeed he was Jesus didn't judge the Roman or discriminate

Either way homosexuality was normal in Roman society. You'd think Jesus could be specific if he opposed it
The homosexual act was more-or-less "normalized," although it usually involved older males taking advantage of young boys. But as an orientation, homosexuality was not recognized as "normal" until the DSM IV.