• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Christians accuse other religions of believing in false prophets?

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
And even if they did try to enforce an edict, it would be incredibly ineffective as they lacked the logistical means to do such a hing..
I don't agree .. Trinitarians had many centuries to enforce their creed. There was no printing press, and only a few amongst the elite could read and write.

The Nag-Hamedi library was a very interesting find .. such books are very rare.
As far as I know, there are no complete, original works of Origen .. a VERY important early Christian theologian.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Yeah, I find it funny and odd that Christians think anyone but themselves are going to hell, and they are no doubt bound for heaven. We even see Christians condemn each other to hell because they don;t have the right "truth", as if they are God themselves. It sounds like the sort of over-zealous blindness that would get a lost soul in big trouble with a God that lacks compassion.
Well, that's honestly why I don't do all that much debating on this forum. I mean, so what, what I think. God supersedes all that anyway. I mean, as if.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Well, that's honestly why I don't do all that much debating on this forum.
Do you ever wonder if you are mistaken since some Christians HAVE to be wrong due to disagreements?
I mean, so what, what I think.
Well if God exists don't you think he would be helping guide believers since there is so much disagreement? Could it be that you debating at all might be an opportunity to adjust what you think. After all, as a sinner, and "worthless rag" as the Bible puts it, you could be mistaken in what you currently believe, yes? The quesion is how you open yourself to adjustments.
God supersedes all that anyway. I mean, as if.
What you think isn't God, yes? If God sepercedes all that wouldn't that suggest you need to be always open to learning and adjustment of what you think?

F1fan

Veteran Member
It doesn't mean that .. lots of religions/creeds believe their prophet/guru was sinless, but not G-d.

One does not have to be "anti-Messiah" to believe that Jesus is not G-d.
The expected messiah, in Judaism, is not G-d himself.

Islam acknowledges Jesus as the Jewish Messiah, and believes he will return to fulfill the Jewish prophecy.
It's interesting to read discussions among believers, as it illustrates how the various "truths" are inconsistent, and the believers should realize the dilemma this causes. After all, if the believer is a sinner and flawed, and open to (what they believe) influence by Satan, then how can any believer feel secure and certain? Believers should be wracked with uncertainty. This is especially interesting when any believer accuses atheists of some fault as a non-believer. How can atheists be at fault for non-belief when believers themselves can't agree on what the "truth" is?

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Believers should be wracked with uncertainty..
Of course .. if they aren't, then they are not following truth.
Nobody can be sure of their destination after death .. we DO however, have hope in G-d's mercy.

I'm not sure how an atheist can have hope in something that they claim doesn't exist. ;)

F1fan

Veteran Member
Of course .. if they aren't, then they are not following truth.
How can it be truth if they are honest that they can't know it's actually truth? You are gambling that you got it right. Maybe Islam is a fraud afterall, and Christians are correct. Which form of Christianity? They don't know, either.
Nobody can be sure of their destination after death .. we DO however, have hope in G-d's mercy.
I suggest the best option is agnoticism. With so many options the best and most honest is no position at all.
I'm not sure how an atheist can have hope in something that they claim doesn't exist. ;)
Atheists are wise to not invest hope in imaginary characters. That's why we rely on family, friends, and our own mental stability.

To assume supernatural beings exist in a world where such beings don't save the lives of children dying from cancer would mean more uncertainty and anxiety. If a God won't save a child from cancer why would it care about you?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
From Muhammad to Krishna to Buddha and Baha’u’llah, it has been a norm amongst Christians of many denominations to accuse religionists of other religions of believing in satan himself and that all of these Teachers are ‘false Prophets’. Many times I have heard this said to me and others. Yet nowhere in the Bible does it categorically state by name that any of These Teachers are false. It is an interpretation by priests and clergy. All of Them taught love just as Christ did.

To be fair, I know of excellent Christians and priests who respect other religions and Prophets and they, I believe, are true Christians who practice love and tolerance towards all.

As a Christian, what do you believe about Muhammad or Buddha or Krishna and Baha’u’llah? Do you believe the different religions should mix with one another or shun each other? I once invited some Christians who knocked on my door to say some prayers together for humanity but they told me that their elders forbid them to do that because they could get ‘spiritually infected’! If Christ taught to love even ones enemy then this attitude towards other religions doesn’t sound right. What do you think?
Normal marketing. It is like Coca Cola talking against Pepsi Cola. Replace the sodas market with the superstitions market, and it should become crystal clear to you.

Ciao

- viole

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It does not even say that.
No, it does not say that but that is what it means.
I would not call that humility and I don't think Jesus would say anything that He did not know is true, that would not be good.
Humility is good, so Jesus humbling Himself before God is good.
If you believe Jesus is the image of His Father and therefore as good as His Father then you are suggesting that Jesus is either God or that He told an untruth.
Jesus is as good as His Father but that does not mean that Jesus IS His Father. There are two separate entities - Jesus and His Father - and that means that Jesus is not His Father.

An image is not what it reflects. If you see your image in the mirror, is that you in the mirror?
Jesus is an image of His Fatrher, but He is not His Father.
If He told an untruth then He is not as good as His Father and not the image of God.
It sounds more complicated than it is.
Jesus did not tell an untruth. He was only humbling Himself before God when He said:

'Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone (Mark 10:18; Luke 18:19).

Jesus did not mean He is not good, He only meant that compared to God He is not good, since the God the Father is greater than Him.

John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
We ended up adopting a cat from the 3 that my wife was fostering and then after a couple of weeks she decided to adopt another of the 3. So now we have 2 sibling kittens running around the house.
I guess your wife is a cat lover. I have 8 cats now and people think that is a lot of cats, but that is the lowest number of cats I have had in 20 years. We used to have cats that had kittens and that is one reason we ended up with all these cats, since we kept some of the kittens. I have only one of those kittens left, Silky, and she is about 16 now. All the other cats I have I either bought or adopted since I lost my older cats.

These cats have literally saved my life because they give me a reason to go on living since my husband passed on. That GriefShare group at the Christian church is also helping me keep going. I am learning a lot about how Christians view God's attributes and how similar it is to the Baha'i view. The Bible verses that are cited in the workbook are no different from what is in the Baha'i Writings so I feel at home there. The people are also very loving and compassionate as Christians should be. The session next Saturday is about Heaven and that should be interesting. ;)

I don't agree .. Trinitarians had many centuries to enforce their creed. There was no printing press, and only a few amongst the elite could read and write

If you disagree, can you describe the process of how an edict by Authority X would lead to the eradication of any text that existed in many copies across a vast empire and also existed in many other domains outside the empire when Authority X has no jurisdiction?
Nag-Hamedi library was a very interesting find .. such books are very rare.
As far as I know, there are no complete, original works of Origen .. a VERY important early Christian

There are no complete works of just about any text from classical antiquity. What we have is a tiny fraction of what existed.

This is not because they were all destroyed, but because it was incredibly expensive to preserve texts, and they needed to be recopied every century or so. Generally, the only ones that enough people were willing to spend large sums of money preserving for 1500 years survived.

Don’t forget almost all orthodox works of theology no longer exist either.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
You are gambling that you got it right. Maybe Islam is a fraud afterall, and Christians are correct. Which form of Christianity?
It doesn't matter .. Orthodox Christianity is based on Roman Catholic faith, and they believe in heaven and hell,
as do Muslims.

..You said "we should be wracked with uncertainty", and I said we are .. nobody knows their destination after death.
..but we have hope in G-d;'s mercy.

Atheists are wise to not invest hope in imaginary characters.
I think not .. they do not know what happens after death either .. they just assume there is "nothing".

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Don’t forget almost all orthodox works of theology no longer exist either.
That isn't true. We have most Latin works, for example.
They are translations of the originals by Trinitarians.

Origen is the key to understanding the Arian v Trinitarian debate.
..and documents supporting Trintarians survive, and are polemic.
It is no coincidence.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It doesn't matter .. Orthodox Christianity is based on Roman Catholic faith, and they believe in heaven and hell,
as do Muslims
Yeah, Muslims kept some Christian ideas, but rejected the most crucial, that being Jesus as savior. That’s a big dispute.
..You said "we should be wracked with uncertainty", and I said we are .. nobody knows their destination after death.
..but we have hope in G-d;'s mercy.
Yeah, hope. That means uncertainty. You hope there’s an outcome you want, but you don’t know. Here comes anxiety creeping into your brain space.
I think not .. they do not know what happens after death either .. they just assume there is "nothing".
So not knowing means don’t make fantastic assumptions like an afterlife.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Ignorance is bliss, you mean?
That would apply if there were facts that suggest non-belief has serious consequences, but there is none. It’s more a case of fear guiding the acceptance if non-rational religious ideas, which then require more self-deception to manage and justify the beliefs. So adopting religious beliefs can seem to resolve anxiety but then our capacity for reason can cast doubt over our belief and create more anxiety. So its a trap that has no escape except to not play. That is the freedom and bliss of non-belief.
It might be for a while, but life has a habit of catching up on you.
Yup. And we have to take off our diapers snd put on pants because we don’t see any god saving people from themselves.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yup. And we have to take off our diapers and put on pants because we don’t see any god saving people from themselves.
and you won't see any God saving people from themselves since people have to put on their pants and save themselves from themselves.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Yup. And we have to take off our diapers and put on pants because we don’t see any god saving people from themselves.

No, there isn't, and in my perspective and experience, the sooner a person recognizes and embraces this truth, the better off they will be and the better their life will be. It was certainly the case in my life after I finally realized that I don't need the biblical God or any gods to take care of me, and I accepted responsibility for my own life and stopped depending on God (or any gods) to take care of me or my family. As far as I am concerned, I do not need to believe in God or in any gods in order to live a moral life and make the right choices. I've proven to myself that I can stand on my own without genuinely believing in the biblical God or in any other deities. If the biblical God even exists, then I certainly don't want or need him in my life. God serves absolutely no purpose in my life, and I wasted enough of my life foolishly believing and having faith in him. Being a devout Christian who prayed several times a day for years, read the Bible every day and read it cover to cover several times, and faithfully attended church and Sunday school was a complete and total waste of my time and energy. I can honestly say that I wasted thirty years of my life (and a few years before that) believing in God and having a false hope in him, but I'm done with that now. I've learned how to stand on my own two feet and care for myself and my family. I don't need or want God in my life.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
That would apply if there were facts that suggest non-belief has serious consequences, but there is none. It’s more a case of fear guiding the acceptance if non-rational religious ideas, which then require more self-deception to manage and justify the beliefs. So adopting religious beliefs can seem to resolve anxiety but then our capacity for reason can cast doubt over our belief and create more anxiety. So its a trap that has no escape except to not play. That is the freedom and bliss of non-belief.

Speaking from experience, it is liberating once you free yourself from the constraints of an oppressive religion, which I believe Christianity (and the other Abrahamic religions are). Of course, this is simply my opinion, which is based on my own experiences as an ex-Christian and survivor of childhood abuse.