• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Reject Jesus?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
What is your reason for not accepting Muhammad as the prophet of Allah? What is your reason for not accepting Buddha's teachings?
They don’t believe god has a son with the power to give us everlasting life, so it’s not for me

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Okay. How are we separated from God? I take it you mean Jehovah, the Almighty God of the Bible? Are your beliefs just religious tradition? Is there any rational explanation why we are separated from God, how we are, that sort of thing? Because I believe that we have been since our creation. Since Adam. And I can explain why and how that is, I've already sort of very briefly touched upon it a couple times here in my posting. If you can't explain it then that would be an excellent reason for rejecting Jesus. In my opinion. Of course, many, many, people would disagree. Then the question becomes who and what was Jesus? Full circle. Explanation needed.
Separation of God is eternal death. Nonexistence for the individual.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Why are you not an atheist?
What is your reason for not accepting Muhammad?
What is your reason for not becoming a Hindu, a Buddhist, or a pagan?

Once you can answer these questions, you should more easily understand the various answers you will get to your question. At least I hope so, yet my expectations remain low.
I’ve understood all the answers, quite well and openly, that are presented here.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Separation of God is eternal death. Nonexistence for the individual.
I believe there is a difference between eternal death and nonexistence.

The souls of people who are separated from God will not have eternal life, but since all souls are immortal they will not die.
The souls of people who are separated from God will continue to exist in the spiritual world after their physical body dies but they will be “as dead” compared to those souls who are close to God.

“In the same way, the souls who are veiled from God, although they exist in this world and in the world after death, are, in comparison with the holy existence of the children of the Kingdom of God, nonexisting and separated from God.”

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
What is your reason for not accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior? The one who saves us all from eternal death—separation from God—according to the Holy Bible.

Whether or not Jesus was a real person, he is at least a myth, and therefore can be metaphor for spiritual matters.

In my case, I view Jesus as a metaphor for the human experience and connectedness to the rest of the Universe.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus said the only way to God is through me. That sounds like a savior to me.
I do not believe that Jesus said that. Jesus did not say everything that was attributed to Him in the NT.

But even if Jesus had said that, that would not make Jesus a savior, because in order for Jesus to be a savior there would need to be something we need to be saved from.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I do not believe that Jesus said that. Jesus did not say everything that was attributed to Him in the NT.

But even if Jesus had said that, that would not male Jesus a savior, because in order for Jesus to be a savior there would need to be something we need to be saved from.
Saved from eternal death and separation from God.
He’s the savior that gives us eternal life.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
They don’t believe god has a son with the power to give us everlasting life, so it’s not for me
Right, it's not for you, because it's not what you were taught. You believe the religious beliefs you were taught, and they believe theirs. I don't believe any of them because I was able to break from the indoctrination of my youth.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Right, it's not for you, because it's not what you were taught. You believe the religious beliefs you were taught, and they believe theirs. I don't believe any of them because I was able to break from the indoctrination of my youth.
You’re right it is what I was taught. Then I did some soul searching away from religion. Ultimately, I found that the story of Jesus was the closest to reality among the world religions. If I thought it didn’t I would’ve abandoned it. In fact, I did abandon it for 15 years, but I came back to it because I miss the camaraderie of Christians. For 15 years, I believed something that only I believed. I mean there may have been a couple people on the planet, who believed it. Haha. It was a lonely road and I needed to make changes. I see more clearly now. I can talk to my family about Jesus without lying or hiding things. It feels kind of good. I think that’s one of the the perks of organized religions. It brings people together where they can talk about common beliefs, relate to one another and not feel so weird about it.

For the past seven years, I’ve been coming here and speaking my truth. I never shared what I believed with people in the real world, my family included. I got tired of it. It was a lonely road for the past 15 years so now I’m back to my roots.

Whateverist

Yes, but the latter gives some a sense of security. Since such an idea doesn't affect me, who am I to attempt to take that away from them?

Exactly the way I feel about it. I actually think traditional belief systems that evolve over time probably have advantages I'll never know. But since I'm quite content with my lot, why complain?

Most importantly I think everyone has beliefs regarding the big questions which they cannot justify fully on empirical grounds or from a neutral, disinterested POV. That is as true for me as anyone else but my beliefs are the ones that I can justify to myself which re enchant the world filling it with purpose and meaning.

Some will say we just don't have the answers yet but science is working on them and will someday. But that is still a leap of faith and of course science doesn't even consider the kinds of questions which religion, philosophy and the arts touch on. It is a dodge which is used to avoid taking the questions seriously or leaving them for future generations and yet the point of such questions is to enable you to live a meaningful life here and now. Another kind of dodge is to say we can't know now but after we die in this world all will be revealed. I won't rain on that parade but I don't find it at all reassuring and I think we do can better. Actually involving oneself in the questions in this lifetime is what makes a difference.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You’re right it is what I was taught. Then I did some soul searching away from religion. Ultimately, I found that the story of Jesus was the closest to reality among the world religions. If I thought it didn’t I would’ve abandoned it. In fact, I did abandon it for 15 years, but I came back to it because I miss the camaraderie of Christians. For 15 years, I believed something that only I believed. I mean there may have been a couple people on the planet, who believed it. Haha. It was a lonely road and I needed to make changes. I see more clearly now. I can talk to my family about Jesus without lying or hiding things. It feels kind of good. I think that’s one of the the perks of organized religions. It brings people together where they can talk about common beliefs, relate to one another and not feel so weird about it.

For the past seven years, I’ve been coming here and speaking my truth. I never shared what I believed with people in the real world, my family included. I got tired of it. It was a lonely road for the past 15 years so now I’m back to my roots.
Right, you were taught those beliefs. That's why you find them so compelling. If you had grown up Muslim, you'd find those beliefs the most compelling. That's how indoctrination works.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Exactly the way I feel about it. I actually think traditional belief systems that evolve over time probably have advantages I'll never know. But since I'm quite content with my lot, why complain?

Most importantly I think everyone has beliefs regarding the big questions which they cannot justify fully on empirical grounds or from a neutral, disinterested POV. That is as true for me as anyone else but my beliefs are the ones that I can justify to myself which re enchant the world filling it with purpose and meaning.

Some will say we just don't have the answers yet but science is working on them and will someday. But that is still a leap of faith and of course science doesn't even consider the kinds of questions which religion, philosophy and the arts touch on. It is a dodge which is used to avoid taking the questions seriously or leaving them for future generations and yet the point of such questions is to enable you to live a meaningful life here and now. Another kind of dodge is to say we can't know now but after we die in this world all will be revealed. I won't rain on that parade but I don't find it at all reassuring and I think we do can better. Actually involving oneself in the questions in this lifetime is what makes a difference.
I think there’s things that science will never explain. The only way to get certain answers is through reflection, thought, introspection and searching. Then again that’s not sciences goal. The purpose of science is to explain the natural world, not the supernatural one.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Right, you were taught those beliefs. That's why you find them so compelling. If you had grown up Muslim, you'd find those beliefs the most compelling. That's how indoctrination works.
Apparently, you didn’t read anything I wrote. Do you think you’re the only one capable of rejecting indoctrination?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Apparently, you didn’t read anything I wrote.
Nope, I read it all. You said you were taught Christianity but later in life you searched around and then eventually came back to Christianity. That's the power of indoctrination. Muslims grow up being taught Islam. They then follow Islam, even if they question it at some point.
Do you think you’re the only one capable of rejecting indoctrination?
No, that's a weird question. A lot of people are capable of breaking free from indoctrination. I'm grateful I'm one of them.

Whateverist

I think there’s things that science will never explain. The only way to get certain answers is through reflection, thought, introspection and searching. Then again that’s not sciences goal. The purpose of science is to explain the natural world, not the supernatural one.

I'm not a fan of the supernatural terminology but I do think there is much science can never explain. For one thing the world and life generally are not mechanisms and so cannot be understood mechanistically. It's like Newton's physics, correct in broad strokes within a limited range of applications - but not complete. To think about why there is anything instead of nothing or what it is which draws cells to live in communities which give rise to metazoan minds requires a change in gestalt but, I don't think, an alternate reality. I don't think we are entitled to understand the big picture of everything (the many) or the one (God) from a God's eye view. The single cells which make up our bodies do not know we exist, and they don't need to know. If God is a higher yet order of consciousness, we do not need to know that but we want to know and acquiring beliefs which suffice to give us peace should be enough.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Nope, I read it all. You said you were taught Christianity but later in life you searched around and then eventually came back to Christianity. That's the power of indoctrination. Muslims grow up being taught Islam. They then follow Islam, even if they question it at some point.

No, that's a weird question. A lot of people are capable of breaking free from indoctrination. I'm grateful I'm one of them.
It’s not the power of indoctrination. It’s years of soul searching and research of world religions.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I'm not a fan of the supernatural terminology but I do think there is much science can never explain. For one thing the world and life generally are not mechanisms and so cannot be understood mechanistically. It's like Newton's physics, correct in broad strokes within a limited range of applications - but not complete. To think about why there is anything instead of nothing or what it is which draws cells to live in communities which give rise to metazoan minds requires a change in gestalt but, I don't think, an alternate reality. I don't think we are entitled to understand the big picture of everything (the many) or the one (God) from a God's eye view. The single cells which make up our bodies do not know we exist, and they don't need to know. If God is a higher yet order of consciousness, we do not need to know that but we want to know and acquiring beliefs which suffice to give us peace should be enough.
Im not talking about alternate realities. Maybe I should’ve been more clear. I’m talking about everlasting life with a new heaven and earth through Jesus. To me that’s supernatural and can only be explained through reflection, soul-searching, thinking and intuition. Etc.

Science has no interest in matters like this, rightly so.