• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't the Bible say what it means?

horiturk

Assyrian Devil
the problem is that it's a man made book whose verses can be interpreted in myriad ways and twisted to suit the purposes of the interpretor

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
look sandy, if you want to hide and cower behind the bible by using your double talk to justify your hostile remarks....all i have to say to that is
that's just swell.
Until you learn to follow a conversation in context and stop presuming I'm just going to have to ignore you.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
And why is that?

It's merely a bunch of double talk.
It is a typical tactic of the elitist to convince themselves that they have some "meat" understanding of some cryptically vague bit of prose written hundreds of years before they were even an itch in their daddy's shorts.

It is really simple for someone to tell all that disagree with them that they are just to stupid to understand it.
The trick is to feed them the line in a manner that they believe it.
The whole milk/meat/ line is one of the favorite tactics.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
It's merely a bunch of double talk.
It is a typical tactic of the elitist to convince themselves that they have some "meat" understanding of some cryptically vague bit of prose written hundreds of years before they were even an itch in their daddy's shorts.

It is really simple for someone to tell all that disagree with them that they are just to stupid to understand it.
The trick is to feed them the line in a manner that they believe it.
The whole milk/meat/ line is one of the favorite tactics.
You must then believe that the Bible is a simple book that can be understood with a perusal?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
No, it can still be a very complex book. The problem is the assumption that your interpretation is the correct one.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You must then believe that the Bible is a simple book that can be understood with a perusal?

The Bible is a book that can be and has been "understood" in many different ways by many different people since the time the various scriptures the Bible contain were written.
The truly sad part is that each and every afore mentioned "understanding" has those who claim that it is the only possible correct "understanding".

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
The Bible is a book that can be and has been "understood" in many different ways by many different people since the time the various scriptures the Bible contain were written.
The truly sad part is that each and every afore mentioned "understanding" has those who claim that it is the only possible correct "understanding".
And none of those "understandings" happened because the understanding of the Scripture was incomplete?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The bible doesn't say what it means because it doesn't mean anything itself. The meaning comes from all the different people who read it, hence all the different meanings. The confusion comes in because people mistakenly think that their particular interpretation, on any particular day, is the correct one.

truseeker

I agree that the confusion comes from everyone believing his own interpretation is the right one. But I think there is some true meaning hidden in there somewhere and the problem is to find it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I agree that the confusion comes from everyone believing his own interpretation is the right one. But I think there is some true meaning hidden in there somewhere and the problem is to find it.

I disagree.
I think the problem is those who think that the 'truths' they find in the Bible are some sort of absolute truth for the whole population so they have to shove the 'truth' they found down everyone else's throat.