• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't Republicans see this?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because the DOJ needs to have a slam dunk case before they even THINK about indicting a former president. Remember, early on there has been a lot of resistance by Republicans and Trump insiders to cooperate, and they are the witnesses. They all lawyered up and slowed the process hoping to delay things until Republicans took the House and Senate. It is now apparent they are getting testimonies and more and more are seeing the writing on the wall, and cooperating. I'm shocked how many have testified against Trump already.

This is an extremely complicated case and the DOJ is being very careful about the evidence and the charges.

Okay, so then the DOJ can do its job while the rest of the government focuses on its own tasks. This is more a matter of division of labor at this point, and if government has many jobs to do, they delegate to those specifically set up for whatever particular job that needs to get done.

I'm just looking more at the theatrical aspects of all this, as I think it's unnecessary and counterproductive.

The Watergate investigations took over 2 years. Nixon didn't resign for that period of time, and they had many cooperating witnesses. It wasn't until the committee got the 18 minute missing tapes that there was a slam dunk case against Nixon. He resigned and was pardoned by Ford.

To my mind the Jan 6 conspiracy, attack on the Capitol, and the whole election fraud efforts by Trump, his inner circle, and other Republicans, is vastly worse as it ties in many more conservatives into a cult of criminal conspiracy. This is huge conspiracy, and many law enforcement and justice department agencies are swamped with indictments and investigations. This isn't a Hollywood movie where it all gets wrapped up in 2 hours. Justice takes time.

I won't speculate as to which is worse. The thing with Nixon is that he used government employees and the apparatus of the state for his own political ends. The investigation might have taken more than two years, but at first, nobody really knew what they were dealing with. The impeachment hearings didn't start until the next year, and the special prosecutor was appointed in May, 1973 (and later fired in the Saturday Night Massacre). The fact that there was even a taping system in the White House at all was a tremendously lucky break. Without that, they probably wouldn't have even had a case at all. It took time because Nixon was stonewalling on giving up the tapes.

Is that the case here? Do they believe there's some tape or video out there which is the "smoking gun" and they're hoping to find it eventually?

Should we ignore other criminal offenses in the USA? Robberies? Shootings? Fraud? Just don't worry about crime because there are other issues like gas prices?

Did I say that?

What Trump and his allies did, and are still doing, as you can see on a new post I am posting about election officials in a county in New Mexico refusing to certify primary votes, to sabotage our democracy. We have to think about the future, not just the present We create a better future by holding criminals accountable.

I agree, and if holding criminals accountable is the only issue here, then so be it. That's what the DOJ and the judicial branch are in place to do.

It's not for Congress to do. I think what struck me was that I heard there was "never before seen footage" released at the hearings, and I had to wonder: Why wasn't it released before? Why was it held back? Was it strictly for dramatic purposes, to bring in last minute "new evidence" which they ostensibly knew about all along but refused to release it? It's stuff like that which causes fluctuations on the BS meter.

"Sabotage our democracy"? Seriously? You believe in that? You believe that's how our system actually is?

The political system is crooked from top to bottom, as it has been for much of our history. It's just a fact of life, and I accept it. I'm not saying that any of Trump's claims and conspiracy theories about the election are valid, but I don't have any illusions about our system of government either.

What I don't accept is the quasi-religious attitude about our political system being sacrosanct or that some holy shrine has been violated. If there's anything that's upsetting me, it's that. Why do people believe in that religion? Why are people upset at me for not believing in it? Democracy is the true opiate of the masses.

You sound very upset. We all are. It's hot, inflation is affecting all of us. The future democracy of the USA is uncertain, women's reproductive rights are on the cusp of being eliminated, the stock markets are dropping and our trust funds and retirement funds are shrinking, and mass shootings are nearly a daily headline. We need to harden the **** up and cope, and focus on the ball. We need to make rational changes that secure our future, otherwise we react emotionally and make errors of judgment and our future is further screwed up.

I agree, but I am coping. What I saw from the footage on Jan. 6 was that a few hundred people raised a ruckus at the Capitol because they were upset about their candidate losing the election. They believed there was fraud. Security seemed lax, resulting a break in security, allowing the unlawful entry of hundreds of rioters into the building. There were many injuries, and a few deaths. It was sad and tragic, but it was hardly the biggest or deadliest riot in American history. It lasted less than half a day. It didn't change the results of the election. Biden was inaugurated on time, and apart from the events of January 6, the transfer of power remained peaceful, even if it wasn't as amicable as has it usually is.

I can certainly cope with that, since the damage was minimal, and for most of the rest of the country, it was just a normal, ordinary day.

Neither the republic nor our democracy was ever in any real danger. Even in the worst case scenario, supposing the rioters had actually occupied the Capitol and killed every member of Congress - nothing would have changed. The result would be the same because the military would then move in, retake the Capitol - kill or capture the mob occupying it - and then every member of Congress would be replaced to certify the election. And one thing we can be sure of in this time of labor shortages - there would be absolutely no shortage of candidates for Congress. Those are job openings that are the most easy to fill.

The beauty of democracy is that no one in government is indispensable. All of them are replaceable.

The only thing we ever really needed to fear was if the military was co-opted and used by Trump to install him as dictator. Once it was made clear that the military would never do anything like that, then I knew the republic was safe. If anyone thinks that a mob led by a guy wearing a Viking hat with furs is truly a threat to the government or political system, then they're the ones who seem to have trouble coping.

As for me, my life remains the same. Could be better, but could be worse. When I see homeless people on the streets, I'm probably more upset about than the ruckus that took place at a building 2000 miles away.

KW

I do. That's my reason for paying attention to the Trumpworld investigations. I don't have much skin in the game any longer after a dozen years living abroad with no intention to return to the States even for a brief visit. I've been watching it purely for entertainment as if I were watching several seasons of the Sopranos. It's interesting to me. I wouldn't do that if I didn't find it dramatic.

This is a good source for following the J6 developments, and I read it for the entertainment value: Home it contains a lot of opinion, which I just ignore even though it is all liberal opinion, but it keeps me up to date on how things are proceeding along. The following is from Donald Trump should be hiding under his desk by the end of next week

"Awhile back, the January 6th Committee publicly asserted that Rep. Barry Loudermilk gave a January 5th Capitol tour. Not only did it release photographic proof today, it also released video proof that one of Loudermilk’s tour guests was part of the insurrection the next day. The pattern we keep seeing from this committee is that whenever it makes an assertion or allegation, it’s because it has the evidence in hand to more than back it up. This is particularly bad news for Donald Trump, given that the committee has publicly stated that it has proof Trump committed several crimes – including proof that Trump didn’t just incite the Capitol attack, he was a criminal co-conspirator in the attack."

None of this has any discernible bearing on my life any more, but I look forward to each new episode anyway. Is that obsession? I also look forward to Wordle every day now. And I look forward to and watch both the CBS and NBC evening news every night (NBC is 7d/w, but CBS just the weekdays) just out of interest, not relevance.

They've been waiting years for the Republicans to lose the power to obstruct them in this. You had a president that himself was a crime spree pardoning fellow felons, an AG who treated the DOJ as a branch of Trump and scuttled the Mueller Report as well as investigations into Republican malfeasance until just before he resigned, and a Congress that refused to convict a guilty president. Even post-Trump, the Republicans tried to obstruct the January 6th investigation, but by then, they could prevent a Senate investigation but not one by the House. The forces representing law and order couldn't begin work in earnest until 2021.

These RICO type investigations into criminal enterprise and conspiracy take a very long time. New York, Georgia, the DOJ, and the J6 committee have all been conducting the types of investigation that begin with the little fish, who flip on bigger fish all the way up to the kingpin. We watched this occurring with the insurrection. First, the soldiers were prosecuted, who flipped on their paramilitary leaders now indicted for seditious conspiracy, who have likely already flipped on the congressional Republicans that helped them logistically as well as Trump's inner orbit (Stone, Bannon, Giuliani, etc.), and finally, for these people to save themselves if they can by helping convict Trump. I think that they are at or very near this last stage.

Here's a nice illustration of that at Here’s the cooperating witness against Mark Meadows and Donald Trump where we see Meadow's assistant flip on Meadows, who will have motive to flip on Trump:

"During the brief period in which Mark Meadows was cooperating with the January 6th Committee, by all accounts he turned over a ton of evidence against himself and others. Once he remembered how much legal trouble he was in, he then refused to give the committee context for that evidence. But details have continued to surface about what Meadows and Donald Trump were saying and doing during the election overthrow timeframe. That’s partly because one of Meadows’ former top White House aides, Cassidy Hutchinson, has been cooperating with the January 6th Committee. "

And the same is occurring with the election tampering in Georgia and the Trump Organization's financial crimes in New York. Remember, they only get one bite at the apple, and they need to make as many charges stick as possible, so their ducks need to be in a row before going ahead with prosecution. I'm satisfied to give the all the time they need to do that. It actually increases the drama as the targets of these investigations howl about the committee not being legitimate and how they intend to exact revenge in January if they regain the House.

I don't see political motivation there. This is not a political process even though it is being carried out by politicians or that the Republicans both call it partisan politics and engage in partisan politics themselves trying to obstruct it to protect their party and themselves. It's a factfinding mission in Congress, and will be a legal process free of politics once Garland et al. hand down indictments.

You are living in a fantasy world if you don’t see this as political.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You are living in a fantasy world if you don’t see this as political.
Politics is how we human beings manage our civilizations. It's not a bad thing, it's very useful. What the political divide in America is these days is ethical and lawful versus unethical and corrupt MAGAs. It's more and more an issue of the MAGAs against everyone else.

You're trying to defend the unethical and corrupt side of political, and the majority of us want justice and democracy.

Do you think Mike Pence betrayed America?

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
It pains me to say this, I grit my teeth though I acknowledge this as fact, we owe Pence a debt of gratitude, along with many others who refused to play along because if they hadn't the day would have ended differently.
I saw someone make a point that all Mike Pence did was obey the law. It says something very damning about the Republicans when we are impressed and applaud one when they follow the law and are ethical.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I saw someone make a point that all Mike Pence did was obey the law. It says something very damning about the Republicans when we are impressed and applaud one when they follow the law and are ethical.
He didn't cave to peer pressure. He didn't just obey the law, he acted with integrity under immense pressure to do otherwise (so much pressure that people literally wanted to hang him over it). That's something not enough people in history have done.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I do. That's my reason for paying attention to the Trumpworld investigations. I don't have much skin in the game any longer after a dozen years living abroad with no intention to return to the States even for a brief visit. I've been watching it purely for entertainment as if I were watching several seasons of the Sopranos. It's interesting to me. I wouldn't do that if I didn't find it dramatic.

And that's fine, although I do find it ironic that those with the strongest opinions are those who also don't have much skin in the game. I don't really have much skin in the game either, at least not when it comes to whether is Trump is found guilty or not. Since he is no longer President and now a private citizen, his legal troubles do not concern me in the slightest.

Other than that, my other concern is that, if they make a martyr out of him, his ardent supporters may get out of control.

None of this has any discernible bearing on my life any more, but I look forward to each new episode anyway. Is that obsession?

Well, maybe not in your case. I was speaking more of those in the public eye who are pushing this for all they can.

They've been waiting years for the Republicans to lose the power to obstruct them in this. You had a president that himself was a crime spree pardoning fellow felons, an AG who treated the DOJ as a branch of Trump and scuttled the Mueller Report as well as investigations into Republican malfeasance until just before he resigned, and a Congress that refused to convict a guilty president. Even post-Trump, the Republicans tried to obstruct the January 6th investigation, but by then, they could prevent a Senate investigation but not one by the House. The forces representing law and order couldn't begin work in earnest until 2021.

Looking back on the impeachments and other allegations made against Trump, I sometimes wonder if they would have had more success if they didn't attempt to try the case in the media and make it into a giant political circus. As you said, you like the drama, and that's the audience they were playing to. That may have been good for ratings, but when it came to actually getting down to business and getting the job done, they failed miserably.

Think of what all of this actually looks like. This is where the true entertainment value comes from. Essentially, the "political establishment," "elite," "swamp," or whatever one might call it, for the past several years have been howling in outrage over Trump - far more so than I've ever seen regarding any President, even Nixon. For the past 5 or 6 years, it's been "Trump this" "Trump that," a constant, never-ending source of drama and entertainment. But what are they really upset about? That they've been outfoxed in a game of political chess with a rank amateur and a complete buffoon? Now that's funny.

I still think it's hilarious that Trump even got the nomination at all, let alone being elected President.

Do you recall when Trump first started appearing more and more in the media, I think back in the 1980s? Trump was a rich guy who became famous because he was rich. I never could understand why the media kept covering him, but then again, I also can't understand why they kept having stories about Paris Hilton or any of the Kardashians. But the bottom line is that, for all intents and purposes, the media gave Trump a platform which allowed him to establish himself as a household name. When people talk about Trump's influence, we should recall who originally gave Trump the ability to have that influence and what their possible reasons for doing so might have been.

I don't see political motivation there. This is not a political process even though it is being carried out by politicians or that the Republicans both call it partisan politics and engage in partisan politics themselves trying to obstruct it to protect their party and themselves. It's a factfinding mission in Congress, and will be a legal process free of politics once Garland et al. hand down indictments.

You have stated that it's full of drama, so it is what it is. Everything they do is political.

If they actually do put Trump on trial, that might be televised as well. That might have even more drama.

I'm not a betting man, but I wonder if Vegas is setting odds on whether Trump will ever actually be convicted of a crime and whether he'll spend a single day behind bars? There was also that other case which they were attempting to make against Trump in the state of New York, but I don't know whatever became of that.

But that would probably be the most compelling drama of all: To see Trump in the orange prison jumpsuit, wearing handcuffs and leg irons, being led to prison. I'll believe when I see it, but what are the odds that we'll ever see that day?

F1fan

Veteran Member
He didn't cave to peer pressure. He didn't just obey the law, he acted with integrity under immense pressure to do otherwise (so much pressure that people literally wanted to hang him over it). That's something not enough people in history have done.
I don't know how much of it was integrity versus the legal and political advice he was following. His legal counsel has testified that he was advised not to do what Eastman wanted. Pence even called Dan Quayle, Bush, Sr's VP who was in the same situation, if the VP had the authority to do what Eastman and Trump wanted. Quayle said no.

The lawyers who testified today have been firm that they knew this whole Eastman plot was not legal or constitutional. So how much was Pence doing the right thing versus him covering his own *** because he wants a future in politics after Trump? Probably a mix. His lawyers said he never wavered, so that's good.

Now I do give Pence some credit for not leaving the Capitol. His secret service wanted him to leave and he refuse, so I will give him credit for his duty to follow the constitution in that respect. The certification HAS to be done on January 6th. No exceptions.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Other than that, my other concern is that, if they make a martyr out of him, his ardent supporters may get out of control.
I think we are beyond that point. Jan 6 as the high point, but also the 66% of republicans who think Trump won the election. THAT belief is TOO far and out of control in my opinion. I worry that we have only seen the beginning, and being complacent and easy of all those who attempted to defraud the USA will keep trying until they win UNLESS we pursue their illegal and unconstitutional acts. No excuses, no compromise. These conspirators need to be stopped before the go further.

There is a 1776 happening right now and it is the ethical and honorable people holding Trump's conspiracy to account as domestic enemies to help democracy prevail and defend the Constitution of the United States as their oaths require.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we are beyond that point. Jan 6 as the high point, but also the 66% of republicans who think Trump won the election. THAT belief is TOO far and out of control in my opinion. I worry that we have only seen the beginning, and being complacent and easy of all those who attempted to defraud the USA will keep trying until they win UNLESS we pursue their illegal and unconstitutional acts. No excuses, no compromise. These conspirators need to be stopped before the go further.

There is a 1776 happening right now and it is the ethical and honorable people holding Trump's conspiracy to account as domestic enemies to help democracy prevail and defend the Constitution of the United States as their oaths require.

It sounds like you're talking about a test of power. Sometimes taking the heavy-handed, muscle-flexing approach to "show these people who's boss" can work. But how much muscle should our government use, and do they really have enough?

To be honest, I'm somewhat disturbed about the right wing these days. There seems to be something in the air - I can't really describe it. But there appears to be more and more bloodthirsty fanatics out there who might have to be reckoned with.

However, I also understand your point that we need to buckle down and go at them with full force. Ultimately, that may be what we end up having to do. I just hope that you can appreciate the ramifications of what you're saying.

Here's something to think about: Imagine Trump being put on trial. What do you think we'll see on the streets outside of the courtroom? What do you think might happen?

Shadow Wolf

The lawyers who testified today have been firm that they knew this whole Eastman plot was not legal or constitutional. So how much was Pence doing the right thing versus him covering his own *** because he wants a future in politics after Trump? Probably a mix. His lawyers said he never wavered, so that's good.
I think he's done with it after the Insurrection. I don't think he planned on it, but I think he saw the mayhem would continue and so stepped out of the spotlight and off stage. For all he is, he may be also putting his family first, or at least their safety significantly weighing in this situation.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It sounds like you're talking about a test of power.
The issue is whether the Constitution has power and authority. If laws have authority. The Jan 6 committee says yes. Trump and the MAGA crowd say no. This is the Alamo, the line is drawn in the dirt. This is serious. Which side are you on? Let's hope more join the fight for democracy. Many of my friends just don't care and I am flaberghasted.

Sometimes taking the heavy-handed, muscle-flexing approach to "show these people who's boss" can work. But how much muscle should our government use, and do they really have enough?
How many times have you heard Democrats criticized because they are soft, they just roll over, they don't play hardball like Republicans, etc.? Now they are finally standing up, and they are responding to Trump and his conspirators crossing the legal line WAY too far. This wasn't an accident, or some guy who didn't read the rule book and made mistakes. This is a guy who was president and used his power and influence in corrupt ways against the USA. And he is still trying. And he is succeeding to some degree.

Just want Democrats to roll over like a puppy to get his belly scratched only for Republicans to kick him in the gut? This is what we are dealing with. These aren't ethical people who will become ethical when they attain power. They believe they are entitled to power and will use their power any way they seem fit once they get it.

To be honest, I'm somewhat disturbed about the right wing these days. There seems to be something in the air - I can't really describe it. But there appears to be more and more bloodthirsty fanatics out there who might have to be reckoned with.
I've had my life threatened a few times on Facebook just for advocating for gun safety. I avoid debates on FB now due to the lack of privacy. These far right people believe they are right, and will not compromise. they have no problems threatening people, and may even act. This is the conservative voting base, and they will support candidates like them.

However, I also understand your point that we need to buckle down and go at them with full force. Ultimately, that may be what we end up having to do. I just hope that you can appreciate the ramifications of what you're saying.
i think the law is the best way to respond because it's not political and not personal. If a person commits crimes, and there is evidence of these crimes, and they are indicted and convicted, this is due process.

Here's something to think about: Imagine Trump being put on trial. What do you think we'll see on the streets outside of the courtroom? What do you think might happen?
I think Trump's lawyers will advise him to tell his supporters to behave themselves. If they create more violence and mayhem it only makes Trump look more like a villain that poses a threat to order. The militias are getting arrested. The followers have social media to organize but they are learning the FBI is watching.

FOX and OAN will spin it all any way they want, but justice needs to be shown to have law and order behind it. Trump is owed nothing. Trump owed the USA a duty, and he failed it. He should not be allowed to intimidate you, me or the whole of the United States of America. He is just one highly flawed and corrupt man. He's gone too far, and he needs to be held accountable.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Democracy can get ugly and it must not cower to bullies and cater to terrorists.

Wandering Monk

Let's not forget about the other Republican politicians involved in the plot. They need to be punished by the courts as well. These other conspirators are not just the ones in Washington, but the state level folks who participated in the False Electors scheme was well as local Republicans who have given unlawful access to voting machines since the election in 2020.

KW

Politics is how we human beings manage our civilizations. It's not a bad thing, it's very useful. What the political divide in America is these days is ethical and lawful versus unethical and corrupt MAGAs. It's more and more an issue of the MAGAs against everyone else.

You're trying to defend the unethical and corrupt side of political, and the majority of us want justice and democracy.

Do you think Mike Pence betrayed America?

Of course not. I think think Democrats cheated, but Trump needed to accept the result. I think that Trump and Dinesh are helping make this harder to achieve in the future though. The truth is coming out and Democrats are doing all they can to hide it.

This attention on the protest is a waste of taxpayer money. I think those involved should be charged with minor crimes and/or fines then released. It is so hypocritical that for months antifa and BLM protestors did far more damage and actually killed people but for the most part were left alone by the federal authorities. It shows what hypocrites Democrats are.

This is pure politics. Democrats are trying to prevent Trump from running again because they know he did a great job in office. He exposed the leftist deep state and the corruption in our bureaucracy.

KW

Let's not forget about the other Republican politicians involved in the plot. They need to be punished by the courts as well. These other conspirators are not just the ones in Washington, but the state level folks who participated in the False Electors scheme was well as local Republicans who have given unlawful access to voting machines since the election in 2020.

There is no plot. You people are a joke.

Democrats cheated and got away with it. You don't want the truth to come out. I get it. That's the real plot.

KW

FYI, the January 6th Committee is bipartisan.

Ha! They kicked off all the Republicans that wanted an actual hearing. The only Republicans there are Trump hating Rinos who will soon be out of congress.

You crack me up sometimes.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Of course not.
So you disagree with many MAGAs that Pence could have rejected the certified vote counts from the seven states that Guiliani said were fraud?

I think think Democrats cheated, but Trump needed to accept the result.
OK, what evidence is there that Democrats cheated? Bill Barr said it was a fair election. Trump's own election official said it was a secure election. I've seen zero evidence presented by the many Republicans I've seen interviewed. So do you know something they don't, or are you listening to right wing disinformation? You've been corrected on numerous errors already and you have a bad habit doing this.

I think that Trump and Dinesh are helping make this harder to achieve in the future though. The truth is coming out and Democrats are doing all they can to hide it.
Like I said, what evidence? And you are aware that both Trump and D'Sousa are chronic liars, don't you? That doesn't enter your mind?

This attention on the protest is a waste of taxpayer money.
It is revealing a huge criminal conspiracy among Trump and coconspirators, namely Eastman and Guiliani, among others. There was testimony that the Proud Boys would have killed Pence is he was caught. Rioters were within 40 feet of Pence before he was led to safety. Do you consider this a minor threat? Your judgment continues to be biased and poor.

I think those involved should be charged with minor crimes and/or fines then released.
Well the crimes vary and there was a conspiracy against the USA and congress that carry serious penalties. If the rioters and conspirators don't want to be held accountable they shouldn't have done the crimes. Are you against them being held to the fullest extend of the law because they are your tribe members? Why should they be let off the hook? This was a serious set of events and crimes.

It is so hypocritical that for months antifa and BLM protestors did far more damage and actually killed people but for the most part were left alone by the federal authorities. It shows what hypocrites Democrats are.
False. And this is an irrelevant attempt at deflection.

This is pure politics. Democrats are trying to prevent Trump from running again because they know he did a great job in office.
False, Trump lost because he did a terrible job at managing the pandemic. He lied over and over, and avoided setting any nation policies for public safety. He constantly insulted public health experts. Democrats and even enough Republicans know he was a terrible president. He lost by over 7 million votes.

He exposed the leftist deep state and the corruption in our bureaucracy.
He did no such thing. The deep state is a conspiracy theory. There is no such thing. More right wing disinformation.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It seems to me that more and more people are seeing the writing on the wall, and if they were NOT part of the conspiracy but know details about it, they are talking. Those pleading the 5th amendment are flagging themselves as part of the conspiracy. Eastman was given advice to hire a criminal attorney and he plead the 5th over 100 times in a deposition. That doesn't admit guilt, but implies a consciousness of guilt. Let's note that Eastman has claimed privilege as Trump's personal attorney, as well as Guiliani. So these two are is serious trouble.

I don't think Guiliani has the mental acuity to understand what is true and real at this point, but Eastman seems to, and he might understand that coming clean will help reduce his criminal exposure.