• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jews don't believe in Jesus

Betho_br

Again, it is not really a question in the first place. The text starts with (לדוד מזמור) - translated this means that the this song is about David. David is not the one speaking it, one of his servants / subjects is. Other Jewish comments on this is that part of it is contrasting David to Avraham.

View attachment 94737

Thus, if the historical Jesus had asked someone this question it would have brought attention to Jesus not knowing Hebrew.

I realized this hypothesis in 2015, however, there's a Jewish defense from 2005. I'll look into this carefully later.
Psalm 110 - A Jewish Perspective

Psalm110.jpg

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Jews of our time can never believe in Christian-Jesus as Christianity people make "Jesus-god" and or literal/physical "son of god" which he never was.
Right?

4:172
O People of the Book, exceed not the limits in your religion, and say not of Allah anything but the truth. Verily, the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was only a Messenger of Allah and a fulfilment of His word which He sent down to Mary, and a mercy from Him. So believe in Allah and His Messengers, and say not ‘They are three.’ Desist, it will be better for you. Verily, Allah is the only One God. Far is it from His Holiness that He should have a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And sufficient is Allah as a Guardian.
4:173
Surely, the Messiah will never disdain to be a servant of Allah, nor will the angels near unto God; and whoso disdains to worship Him and feels proud, He will gather them all to Himself.

Regards
4:172-173
یٰۤاَہۡلَ الۡکِتٰبِ لَا تَغۡلُوۡا فِیۡ دِیۡنِکُمۡ وَلَا تَقُوۡلُوۡا عَلَی اللّٰہِ اِلَّا الۡحَقَّ ؕ اِنَّمَا الۡمَسِیۡحُ عِیۡسَی ابۡنُ مَرۡیَمَ رَسُوۡلُ اللّٰہِ وَکَلِمَتُہٗ ۚ اَلۡقٰہَاۤ اِلٰی مَرۡیَمَ وَرُوۡحٌ مِّنۡہُ ۫ فَاٰمِنُوۡا بِاللّٰہِ وَرُسُلِہٖ ۚ۟ وَلَا تَقُوۡلُوۡا ثَلٰثَۃٌ ؕ اِنۡتَہُوۡا خَیۡرًا لَّکُمۡ ؕ اِنَّمَا اللّٰہُ اِلٰہٌ وَّاحِدٌ ؕ سُبۡحٰنَہٗۤ اَنۡ یَّکُوۡنَ لَہٗ وَلَدٌ ۘ لَہٗ مَا فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَمَا فِی الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ وَکَفٰی بِاللّٰہِ وَکِیۡلًا ﴿۱۷۲
لَنۡ یَّسۡتَنۡکِفَ الۡمَسِیۡحُ اَنۡ یَّکُوۡنَ عَبۡدًا لِّلّٰہِ وَلَا الۡمَلٰٓئِکَۃُ الۡمُقَرَّبُوۡنَ ؕ وَمَنۡ یَّسۡتَنۡکِفۡ عَنۡ عِبَادَتِہٖ وَیَسۡتَکۡبِرۡ فَسَیَحۡشُرُہُمۡ اِلَیۡہِ جَمِیۡعًا ﴿۱۷۳﴾

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
I don't know what a tample is, but I presume to mean temple. A temple is a large building where people of faith gather to worship together.
Ok , you are just using different definition.
It is not of importance anyway
Because we do not define 'Tample' the same , that is where our differences start.

When someone asks me , OK what does Tample mean in Christianity , i say to them you are asking the wrong question.Because it is not what it means to Christianity , it's what History tells about the crucifixition and the ressurection according to the Early Church.
Since the Early Church itself is matter of History , there are those who left enough to make conclusions about it.

In Christian belief it means that God himself is the Tample.

So the crucifixition and all the noise about the ressurection.It's pretty valid to me when Christians say that.It's part of the faith however.

We just say that is a matter of importance - to us, when others speak about our faith.

Is there another definition I'm unaware of? Regardless the temple still stood when Jesus lived, therefore if he was the messiah he came way too early.
I just want to clarify about the Tample , nothing more.

Your answer just proves that we don't talk about the same thing.

The Tanakh doesn't say the messiah will gather a group of people and invent a new religion.
Yes , but it tells something else.
I used however Jewish source for that.
You should read Isaiah 52,53.

That's Tanakh.

I don't persue to convince you in nothing religious , i am just speaking facts here.

It says he was reunite ALL the Jewish people in Israel and rebuild the temple.
You see , again the difference about the Tample.
We do not communicate on the same level.We talk about different things.

Jesus did not do this. His apostles were not Jewish, they were apostates.
But what you think about 'Them' and 'Him' is irrelevant.It's what History tells about it.
And NT is part of it,me you or anyone else not agreeing with that is irrelevant also.

A TORAH observant Jew, which he was not.
How do you know , since probably you have never read anything about it?

No he didn't. You will notice war still exists and so does injustice and paganism.
We are told to fight a spiritual war , so we again speak about two different things.

These things don't fade away , if Truly we return to Him , then every other War is just a product of Human kind.We just blame God for it.

The messiah does away with all this.
Isaiah 2:1-4

1 The word that Isaiah, son of Amoz, prophesied concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
2 And it shall be at the end of the days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be firmly established at the top of the mountains, and it shall be raised above the hills, and all the nations shall stream to it.
This is Jerusalem , right?

3 And many peoples shall go, and they shall say, "Come, let us go up to the Lord's mount, to the house of the God of Jacob, and let Him teach us of His ways, and we will go in His paths," for out of Zion shall the Torah come forth, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
4 And he shall judge between the nations and reprove many peoples, and they shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift the sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.
I think that we do not communicate on the same level.
We have different understanding of Theology.
Theology is not scientific , however it bothers with religious faith and expirience.
You are literally misrepresenting Christian belief.

Apparently not given there is still war and paganism.
There will always be war, untill something changes that.
You can't change such people if they don't allow you.That's how the world still tends to function.
If it's not a personal choice , it isn't important to me.
Everything that we say and how we act on what we say is of relevance.

War is there , because of Evil.
So you fight Evil.
To be Evil is also a personal choice.

I don't give a flying fig what the bible says.
This is just the final touch of my point
You are doing the work however , i don't have to waste me time too much.
I just hope you will see there are ways to discuss things propertly.

Christianity teaches Jesus died for everyone's sins and people must accept that sacrifice to go to heaven.
Christianity teaches also that Jesus is God.
You do not have the right just to pick a teaching and misrepresent it.

G-d says in the Torah that human sacrifice is an abomination.
You need to read the whole Book of Isaiah.

Leviticus 35:33
And you shall not corrupt the land in which you live, for the blood corrupts the land, and the blood which is shed in the land cannot be atoned for except through the blood of the one who shed it.
But we need to establish first what crime is that he is guilty for.He did not came alone and said : Here i want to die.
He was accused , and he did not resisted.
Did he wanted to be killed ? I don't think so.He just predicted the way he dies , that's it.

Why do you make conclusions when you don't care anyway?

Deuteronomy 12:31

You shall not do so to the Lord, your God; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates, they did to their gods, for also their sons and their daughters they would burn in fire to their gods.

Deuteronomy 24:16
Fathers shall not be put to death because of sons, nor shall sons be put to death because of fathers; each man shall be put to death for his own transgression.

Jeremiah 7:31
And they have built the high places of Topheth which are in the valley of Ben-Hinnom, to burn their sons and daughters with fire, which I did not ordain, neither did it enter My mind.
Jesus was crucified , not burned.
You see what you are consistent on?

Messengers of G-d i.e. angels. One was specifically pointed out to be a messenger speaking for G-d. The Hebrew even describes them as such.
Are you sure that you are able to explain the narrative of Genesis 18?
We can look up the lingua , no problem.

Exodus 33:20
And He said, "You will not be able to see My face, for man shall not see Me and live."
Woow , hold on a second.
You don't go from Genesis 18 to Exodus 33 just like that.

Obviously is wasn't G-d or Abraham and Sarah would be dead upon looking at him.
It doesn't seem so to me when i read the narrative.

You
Can't
Take
Responsibility
For
Someone
Else's
Sin
Yes , but there is one who can do whatever he wants , whenever he wants.

Where's the confusion? See the verses above.
Confusion? About what ? I just asked a simple question , you relating it with confusion is something else.

What about it?
Well for start read it , and then read the NT.
If ofc , you want to talk about Jesus.
Because that's what the NT is about , Jesus.
Jesus himself quotes Isaiah , but whatever , i am sick to discuss it on this level.I don't do the convincing thing.

It's called the Tanakh, the Jewish scriptures. Google it.
I read The Septuagint , the Scripture translated from Hebrew to Koine by the Jewish people at that timeline(not just any Jewish , but the finest)
These people , they understood Koine also , as in that time the lands were ruled by Alexander the Great , which means conflict of cultures and learning language is consequence of it.
I mean , what they did is the finest peace of work, when lingustic is considered.

The structure of Hebrew and Koine is not the same.But you probably don't know that either..
Some words cannot be translated however as every language is special in its way.
I accept that is the case with Hebrew also.

Last edited:

Eliana

Ok , you are just using different definition.... (followed by numerous insults regarding my intelligence - Eliana)

I have read the bible and it didn't impress me. I have also read the entire Tanakh numerous times. I am also well aware of the Septuagint, in fact it's creation is documented in the Talmud. Only the Torah was translated and it's not considered authoritive anyway. The rabbi's at the time purposely mistranslated it in order to not offend the king, among other errors introduced.

On your best day you aren't half as smart as I am on my drunkest. When you have something to say other then insulting my intelligence let me know.

Last edited:

Ebionite

Sorry, I don't think Paul is referring to the sin of David. He is just using the same saying "That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged."
Romans 3:4 helps build Paul's argument about original sin, and he refers to a verse that is about the sin of David, so the nature of David's sin is relevant.

Betho_br

Jews of our time can never believe in Christian-Jesus as Christianity people make "Jesus-god" and or literal/physical "son of god" which he never was.
Right?

4:172
O People of the Book, exceed not the limits in your religion, and say not of Allah anything but the truth. Verily, the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was only a Messenger of Allah and a fulfilment of His word which He sent down to Mary, and a mercy from Him. So believe in Allah and His Messengers, and say not ‘They are three.’ Desist, it will be better for you. Verily, Allah is the only One God. Far is it from His Holiness that He should have a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And sufficient is Allah as a Guardian.
4:173
Surely, the Messiah will never disdain to be a servant of Allah, nor will the angels near unto God; and whoso disdains to worship Him and feels proud, He will gather them all to Himself.

Regards
4:172-173
یٰۤاَہۡلَ الۡکِتٰبِ لَا تَغۡلُوۡا فِیۡ دِیۡنِکُمۡ وَلَا تَقُوۡلُوۡا عَلَی اللّٰہِ اِلَّا الۡحَقَّ ؕ اِنَّمَا الۡمَسِیۡحُ عِیۡسَی ابۡنُ مَرۡیَمَ رَسُوۡلُ اللّٰہِ وَکَلِمَتُہٗ ۚ اَلۡقٰہَاۤ اِلٰی مَرۡیَمَ وَرُوۡحٌ مِّنۡہُ ۫ فَاٰمِنُوۡا بِاللّٰہِ وَرُسُلِہٖ ۚ۟ وَلَا تَقُوۡلُوۡا ثَلٰثَۃٌ ؕ اِنۡتَہُوۡا خَیۡرًا لَّکُمۡ ؕ اِنَّمَا اللّٰہُ اِلٰہٌ وَّاحِدٌ ؕ سُبۡحٰنَہٗۤ اَنۡ یَّکُوۡنَ لَہٗ وَلَدٌ ۘ لَہٗ مَا فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَمَا فِی الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ وَکَفٰی بِاللّٰہِ وَکِیۡلًا ﴿۱۷۲
لَنۡ یَّسۡتَنۡکِفَ الۡمَسِیۡحُ اَنۡ یَّکُوۡنَ عَبۡدًا لِّلّٰہِ وَلَا الۡمَلٰٓئِکَۃُ الۡمُقَرَّبُوۡنَ ؕ وَمَنۡ یَّسۡتَنۡکِفۡ عَنۡ عِبَادَتِہٖ وَیَسۡتَکۡبِرۡ فَسَیَحۡشُرُہُمۡ اِلَیۡہِ جَمِیۡعًا ﴿۱۷۳﴾
In fact, according to the Christian Bible there are 4, not three.

What did the Greek word theos (god/God/?) in the letters mean to the Hellenists and Romans of those cities? I have a lot of doubts.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
@Eliana - I have a few questions for you. There is at least one person here who says she is Jewish, and a member of the conservative group. You seemed to have indicated that group is apostate.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Many Christians like to allude to the notion that the holocaust was something Jews brought on themselves.
My mother in law, who was a Jew, and I suppose you would say she was apostate because she went to a conservative synagogue, said her rabbi said so many Jews were killed by the Nazis because they did not have a mezuzzah. I do not believe that, of course, but then again, her congregation did go to the ocean to throw a dead animal to express acknowledgment of sin I guess. P.S. She also thought Jesus was a false prophet.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Why do you say Jesus did not come from David’s line or the tribe of Judah?
While Jewish identity is passed through the mother, which specific tribe a Jew is part of, and whether they are of Davidic lineage, goes only through the biological father. So for example, the child is not the tribe of a foster father or adoptive father, nor the tribe of the mother. This is why converts to Judaism, even though they are 100% part of the People of Israel, have no tribal affiliation.

The problem should be obvious at this point. As long as Christians continue to claim that Jesus was born of a virgin, they cannot simultaneously say that he was either tribe of Judah or of the Davidic line. Basically, you guys can claim virgin birth, or you can claim Davidic line, but you cannot claim both.

IndigoChild5559

Sometimes etymology proves its ability to render a position entirely impotent -- see etymology fallacy.

I am far from an expert on Christian theology, but the following is worth emphasizing:

Original sin may be taken to mean: (1) the sin that Adam committed; (2) a consequence of this first sin, the hereditary stain with which we are born on account of our origin or descent from Adam.​
From the earliest times the latter sense of the word was more common, as may be seen by St. Augustine's statement: "the deliberate sin of the first man is the cause of original sin" (De nupt. et concup., II, xxvi, 43). It is the hereditary stain that is dealt with here. [source; emphasis added - JS]​

Your "well, it was a sin and it was original so of course there's original sin" is more cute than compelling.

By the way:
The McGuffey Reader is not as illustrious a source as Augustine, but is much catchier: "In Adam's fall, so sinned we all."

IndigoChild5559

As an atheist ( who is occasionally agnostic), who does not practice Judaism, you will never be able to have an intelligent conversation about the Torah or the Christian bible. All you will be able to do is criticize and mock other people.
Wow. I am not personally an atheist, but even I can see this is clearly bigotry. An atheist can be just as studied in Torah or the Bible as anyone else. In fact, you'd be surprised how many Religion professors are atheists. Not because they enjoy mocking religion, but because they find it fascinating.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I can see this is clearly bigotry.

No. It's not based on group membership. It's based on lack of practice. Actions. If Jay practiced, he probably would be able participate. It wouldn't take much to improve from what he's doing now.

As an atheist ( who is occasionally agnostic), who does not practice Judaism,

... who does not practice ...

What happens if person doesn't practice? Use it or lose it.

IndigoChild5559

Jesus is the Son of God not the Jewish Messiah.
The Jewish Messiah is MIA.
The gospels do claim that Jesus is the Messiah. But you are correct that the Christian understanding of Messiah is quite different from that in the Tanakh.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Do you not see that when you bash Reform Rabbis, you are doing the very thing you are complaining about, dividing the Jewish people.

Not true. They are dividing from me. In brief: They started it. I've tolerated it in the past. Not any more.

Besides we are united, in opposition. They are the negative role-models. Their behavior is a wonderful opportunity for learning what NOT to do.

IndigoChild5559

All of us except Jesus.
"Son of God," or "Child of God," is figurative speech. It is a metaphor that basically says, "This person is as close to God as a son is to a father." I'm sure a great many people have that closeness. Exodus 4:22 "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the Lord: Israel is My son, My firstborn.’"