• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why The Hate For Brexit Voters?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
But eastern Europeans would do it and did do it. Getting kicked out of the country left crops unharvested because the job/wage was beneath most brits.
So you think it's acceptable to pay immigrants below average wages instead of paying locals fair ones?

You're against raising wages for poor people? Instead you bring in foreigners to do the work for less pay.

????

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Locals won't do the job, see @Rivals post #197
That sounds like the problem of the greedy business owner, wanting to pay crap wages. And why should these poor people from other countries be our cheap labor? That's rather insulting, as if they don't deserve any better. We all do. If you can't afford to pay your workers a wage that will pay their bills and put food on the table, you deserve to go out of business. It's on them.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So you think it's acceptable to pay immigrants below average wages instead of paying locals fair ones?

You're against raising wages for poor people? Instead you bring in foreigners to do the work for less pay.

????

The pay was what the job earned. You think its acceptable to go broke paying above what tje job can earn just to satisfy some brexiters?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
The pay was what the job earned. You think its acceptable to go broke paying above what tje job can earn just to satisfy some brexiters?
Well it obviously wasn't. When my parents did it it was decent paying work they were prepared to do for the Co-Op.

So your position is even worse. It's crap work we get foreigners to do for crappy pay.

I mean, that's not brilliant either.

Every job should pay at least minimum wage, which is not what these immigrants are being offered.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That sounds like the problem of the greedy business owner, wanting to pay crap wages. And why should these poor people from other countries be our cheap labor? That's rather insulting, as if they don't deserve any better. We all do. If you can't afford to pay your workers a wage that will pay their bills and put food on the table, you deserve to go out of business. It's on them.

The job pays what it's worth. Brits want cheap food and wont pay enough for food to increase eages.

Correct, farmers cannot afford to subsidise wages to meet expectations when people won't pay. So yes they go out of business

And guess what, food shortages are the result

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well it obviously wasn't. When my parents did it it was decent paying work they were prepared to do for the Co-Op.

So your position is even worse. It's crap work we get foreigners to do for crappy pay.

I mean, that's not brilliant either.

Every job should pay at least minimum wage, which is not what these immigrants are being offered.

So pay what it costs to harvest the food. Simple

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
So pay what it costs to harvest the food. Simple
Yeah, a lot of money for hours of backbreaking work done in the heat.

Definitely sounds like more than minimum wage work to me.

Also sounds like a classist attitude against blue collar workers.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Locals won't do the job, see @Rivals post #197
And when the care/health sector staff all left obviously the country was awash with unemployed care/health staff ready to step into their shoes. Not. Hence all the unfilled vacancies and understaffing. It's all them elites orchestrating this for their own nefarious ends. Oh wait, what's that smell?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
The job pays what it's worth. Brits want cheap food and wont pay enough for food to increase eages.

Correct, farmers cannot afford to subsidise wages to meet expectations when people won't pay. So yes they go out of business

And guess what, food shortages are the result
If people made more money, they could afford to buy more expensive things. I do not care about someone going out of business for trying to pay, often illegal, slave wages. Their business fails because of their own faulty practices.

Also, wages have been stagnant for decades while the salaries of the CEOs and upper class go through the roof, so don't give me that "the job pays what it's worth" crap. Especially since you're not talking about some poor mom and pop farm. These are big agricultural corporations who are employing all these people.

We have the same crap in America and they use the same pathetic arguments to try and justify their use of quasi-slave labor. Except over here, it's Mexican and Central American illegals who are toiling and suffering in subpar working conditions for a pittance. But as long as it's "those people", who gives a damn, right?.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Exactly. Eastern Europeans were prepared to have the jobs the locals didn't want to do. Nobody made the leave-supporting farmers employ those bloody foreigners. The wage levels were not illegal, they were the market rate for the job - irrespective of the person's nationality. :rolleyes:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yeah, a lot of money for hours of backbreaking work done in the heat.

Definitely sounds like more than minimum wage work to me.

Also sounds like a classist attitude against blue collar workers.

Sure its hard work.
But
Sounds like people not willing to pay fair prices to enable farmers to pay fair wages.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member

Migrant agricultural workers who travelled thousands of miles to plug labour gaps on UK farms have faced unlawful wage deductions, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and VICE World News can reveal.

Research by TBIJ and VICE World News, along with case work data from the Work Rights Centre, found that more than 20 people working at nine farms across the UK reported being underpaid – by more than £1,000 in at least two cases.

[...]

Pangeni is among the nearly 35,000 migrant workers who came to work in the UK on six-month seasonal worker visas last year. Human rights groups have consistently warned that the visa’s structure, and the lack of enforcement of employment and visa regulations, put people at risk of exploitation. But the government has steadily increased the number of visas issued since 2019. As many as 55,000 could be issued this year.

It's bad we're allowing this crap.

**** this gov.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If people made more money, they could afford to buy more expensive things. I do not care about someone going out of business for trying to pay, often illegal, slave wages. Their business fails because of their own faulty practices.

Also, wages have been stagnant for decades while the salaries of the CEOs and upper class go through the roof, so don't give me that "the job pays what it's worth" crap. Especially since you're not talking about some poor mom and pop farm. These are big agricultural corporations who are employing all these people.

We have the same crap in America and they use the same pathetic arguments to try and justify their use of quasi-slave labor. Except over here, it's Mexican and Central American illegals who are toiling and suffering in subpar working conditions for a pittance. But as long as it's "those people", who gives a damn, right?.

Welcome to the vicious circle of the farm economy.

I'll repeat, if people won't pay a fair tate for their food then how the hell are farmers supposed to pay a fair wage?