• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why The Hate For Brexit Voters?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
How true.
There's consequences for everything, we all have to decide what we're willing to accept. I do know that it's generally not helpful to demonize suffering people who are afraid for their future, or just claim they were all misled by lies. Ultimately people vote their own interests.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
There's consequences for everything, we all have to decide what we're willing to accept. I do know that it's generally not helpful to demonize suffering people who are afraid for their future, or just claim they were all misled by lies. Ultimately people vote their own interests.
And they were misled. As to consequences - added links to my post above.

Other sites such as FT, Economist etc tell the same story: a largely negative economic outcome as predicted.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
And they were misled. As to consequences - added links to my post above.

Other sites such as FT, Economist etc tell the same story: a largely negative economic outcome as predicted.
Wow, elitist banker and corporate types predict gloom and doom over those peasants not voting the way they want - shocking!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We have, from our POV, indeed been vilified as racist, backwards, on the wrong side of history, voting wrong, being mislead, being victims of lies, being against young people's interests, being xenophobic, wanting the Empire back, it goes on and on. If that's not vilification I don't know what it is, but it's sure not very nice.

Two thoughts:

- you skipped over the "minority" part of what I said. A minority that's vilified by the majority is at risk in a way that a majority that's disliked by a minority is not. Your side has the power here.

- accurate descriptions aren't vilification even if they're negative. How much truth is in those characterizations?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
- you skipped over the "minority" part of what I said. A minority that's vilified by the majority is at risk in a way that a majority that's disliked by a minority is not. Your side has the power here.
Yes, so Remain should have left us alone and accepted we won.

That didn't happen.

- accurate descriptions aren't vilification even if they're negative. How much truth is in those characterizations?
Almost no truth at all.

But I've learned apparently wanting fewer immigrants so my wages go up is racist.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You don't seem to understand patriotism and nationalism, I guess? This is indeed at the heart of this. We can and should be able to do these things by ourselves, like the US does. I see little issue.
I do though, and see such as something to leave behind if we aren't to destroy ourselves as a species - as per Putin and his particular version.
I have been correcting other non-leaver's arguments that strawmen us. Remainers trying to explain the leave vote to Leavers is incredibly patronising.
But doing so for those who chose to remain isn't? I guess the numbers of Brexiteers who are now regretful will buck up in a decade or two. :rolleyes:

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I do though, and see such as something to leave behind if we aren't to destroy ourselves as a species - as per Putin and his particular version.

But doing so for those who chose to remain isn't? I guess the numbers of Brexiteers who are now regretful will buck up in a decade or two. :rolleyes:
Where have I made patronising arguments for those who chose Remain?

I haven't.

I don't believe anyone here has.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
It's up to the victors to be magnanimous.
We were, as far as I thought.

We just kept being called racists and people wouldn't leave us alone. We got all this news about how our country was ****ed and it was all our fault.

What were we meant to do, take it?

Altfish

Veteran Member
That sort of assumes people are making (purportedly) rational evidence based decisions by considering what they perceive to be the facts (even if they are mistaken).

This is absolutely not how most people choose who or what to vote for in elections.

I’m still convinced that the Remain campaign (and its supporters) did far more to encourage people to vote for Brexit than the Leave campaign did. Might as well have started bussing them to the polls.
Remain wasn't 'sexy' or rebellious.
It had Cameron and Corbyn leading it.
The press and TV promoted Brexit - just check which politician appeared on Question Time the most. (Clue: He wasn't an MP)

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not talking about your replies to other posters; I'm talking about your characterization of Remainers in general.
By taking from what I've experienced from them?

From the very replies you can see on this thread, telling me that I'm a racist, that I've been lied to, that I've been led astray and that if only I had sense I'd have voted Remain?

I haven't called anyone anything like that or implied any such thing. I said the opposite. I said they had good and honest reasons for voting Remain. I just feel ill-treated by many of them for the above insults.

It's as if you folks can't see it and genuinely think we are all racists who have been lied to.

Idk what to say.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Wow, elitist banker and corporate types predict gloom and doom over those peasants not voting the way they want - shocking!
Just as shocking is the actual reality - eg less health sector workers - what's that got to do with elite bankers and corporate types? I'll give you a clue: **** all.

Maybe stick to something you know about.