• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women want to look sexy.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why women like to wear sexy dresses ?

Men usually don't care about their appearance as much as women do,for example they look after make-up,high heeled shoes,color contact lenses,hair dyes ..etc

Why they need to do so ? of course not all of them doing so,but there are a great number who strive to draw the attention of others specially the men.
Men often do care about their appearance with suits, nice shirts, nice shoes, a neat haircut, etc. When a guy goes on a date with a woman, he generally dresses well if he wants the date to go well. So men often do dress well for other men and for women, and often simply because they enjoy looking good with a nice body and neat clothes.

On the beach or at the boardwalk or public pools, men walk around in just swimming trunks with their full torso exposed. Women are often in bikinis, also showing a lot of skin. Yet people often just view the guys as doing it for comfort and the women doing it to show off their bodies. A lot of this depends on what sort of lens your own bias is adding to the situation.

For example, if you have a statue like the thinker, which is a muscular naked man sitting there thinking, most people don't view it as particularly sexual. But if it was a naked woman in that pose, there'd probably be more controversy of where it can be publicly placed, arguing that it's sexual, even if it's the same exact scene.

Some women like to dress up with dresses, heels, make-up, etc. It's not always or even usually to consciously attract a guy- it's often just that like men, women enjoy looking good to men and to other women, and just enjoy looking good in general. Personally I don't hardly ever wear any make-up, rarely wear dresses, and my hair is my natural color. Only occasionally do I wear heels. My parents always used to nag me about my messy hair. But I do care how I look- I have some suits, nice shirts, jeans, shoes, tops, etc. I don't do it consciously to attract anyone; I do it because I want to enjoy how I look, like guys do too. I like to do it with a casual style, though.

Society currently puts more pressure on women and our appearance but throughout history there have been men in powdered wigs, men in heeled boots, men in fancy attire, etc. In many cultures men were considered the more beautiful sex.

Beauty is a nice thing. Let's just enjoy it wherever it's found.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You and I are remarkably alike! Except that I wear the best of my underwear for business meetings but never for women!

And what kind of underwear if you don't have a business meeting, the torn one:D

torn-men-underwear.jpg

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Blaming the media for the desire to look sexy seems to ignore the fact people desired to look sexy long before the rise of the modern media. For instance: Cosmetics have been in use at least since the ancient Egyptians, and almost certainly before that. At most, the modern media adds fuel to the fire and perhaps shapes what is stylish, but the fire itself has been burning forever.

And so FearGod's proposal, that women want to look sexy, is mostly correct?

CynthiaCypher

I don't understand the correlations. So if a woman wears make up she wants to look sexy? If she wears high heel, she wants to look sexy? If she wear contact lenses, she wants to look sexy? She dyes her hair to look sexy?

And contact lenses?

How about that I just don't want to look like a slob? How about I just want to feel attractive not for others but for myself, because your appearance affects your attitude.

By the way I am naturally blonde, I only dye my hair so I won't look blonde and have to deal with all the bull **** stereotypes that being blonde comes with.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I don't understand the correlations. So if a woman wears make up she wants to look sexy? If she wears high heel, she wants to look sexy? If she wear contact lenses, she wants to look sexy? She dyes her hair to look sexy?

And contact lenses?

How about that I just don't want to look like a slob? How about I just want to feel attractive not for others but for myself, because your appearance affects your attitude.

Of course, it's because if some guy thinks we're sexy, it's because we had him in mind and wanted him to think we were sexy, and we did everything we could to look sexy to him. Remember, it doesn't matter what WE intended, dressed, walked or talked, it only matters how that guy perceives the world around him. Because man-brain, yah?

CynthiaCypher

Of course, it's because if some guy thinks we're sexy, it's because we had him in mind and wanted him to think we were sexy, and we did everything we could to look sexy to him. Remember, it doesn't matter what WE intended, dressed, walked or talked, it only matters how that guy perceives the world around him. Because man-brain, yah?

Of course when I wear makeup, heels and a smart skirt to a job interview it is not because I want to look professional, it is because I want to seduce every man who crosses my path.

It is all part of my evil plan for world domination.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
You mean, why SOME womens like to wear sexy dresses, make up, high heels, etc ... ?

I dunno man, I'm a woman who doesn't like to and practically never wear sexy dresses, make up, high heels, etc ... Same goes for all my friends and pretty much all the womens I know from my school and at work.

Sometimes in the street I see a woman wearing what you describe. So maybe you should ask those kind of women, since I think a big majority of womens doesn't casually go out everyday dressed like what you describe.

It's just individual tastes, that's all. Not a big deal x') It's like saying "why does all mens like to wear a moustache ?"

This is kind of irrelevant to the topic at hand, but your avatar is so cute ^_^... little kitty buddha!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Rationally speaking women make more efforts to attract men,they try to change what their actual look are,such as i said changing the color of their eyes,hair...etc.

What is the purpose ? i don't think just to get married because even married women are doing the same stuff. :shrug:

Well, it's her body. (Perhaps that the statement these women are really making?)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Blaming the media for the desire to look sexy seems to ignore the fact people desired to look sexy long before the rise of the modern media. For instance: Cosmetics have been in use at least since the ancient Egyptians, and almost certainly before that. At most, the modern media adds fuel to the fire and perhaps shapes what is stylish, but the fire itself has been burning forever.
The dark eyeliner was worn by both men and women as protection against the sun. (It was before sunglasses)
You will see football players do the same thing even today.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I think we all like to look good, it's just that what looks good changes over time.

Also, it depends on the person, some women follow trends, some don't, some wear makeup/high heels, some don't, etc. I don't follow trends, only wear makeup when on a date with my husband and same with heels. I dye my hair because it's fun and I have my own definition of beauty (I tend to prefer unnatural colours).

I do personally think that sometimes it's taken too far (if you can't get out of the house without spending at least 2 hours on your appearance for example) but I feel it may be an issue with the person. Perhaps society should relax on what is considered beautiful and encourage creativity rather than conformity. There's too much presumed about a person based on their appearance because it doesn't fit society's norms.

But let me turn the table, why do (some) men wear ties (it's a hanging piece of cloth that serves no purpose) and style their beards? It's not so different - there's many reasons!

Erebus

I suspect a lot of guys don't notice their own beautification rituals. To use myself as an example, when I'm going out (even just to meet a couple of friends) I'll do the following:

Brush teeth, shower, shave, style hair, wear deoderant, wear cologne, have different sets of clothing for different purposes, pick out accessories (ring, pendant, watch etc) and check the smell of my breath.

That sort of thing is pretty typical for most men and I wouldn't be considered overly vain for doing it. However, it's exactly the same principle as women applying makeup and picking out a nice dress and pair of shoes. In fact I skimmed past clothing in my own list, I could have spent time detailing exactly what I'd wear in each situation.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Yes but it's far more easy, convenient, and fun to blame modern media, and modern culture in general, for psychologically and physiologically-driven behaviors which have evolved in our biology over the course of millions of years. I suppose it helps to remember that most people's scope of awareness doesn't extend beyond their own immediate surroundings and time period.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think those shoes are attractive for men to wear but women wear them to look sexier specially for their butt.

Obviously you don't find them attractive on men because you're a heterosexual male. However, that's why it's important to consider things from other possible perspectives instead of practically glorifying and even idealizing the Male Gaze as the motivation for the way members of both genders dress. What looks "sexy" to you may just be a woman dressing well to enjoy herself and not really to try to attract men, and men who don't look attractive to you (or me, being a heterosexual male as well) may look attractive to others and could actually be trying to attract attention.

There's no one-size-fits-all standard that could really tell you about everyone's intentions, so I think it's best not to jump to conclusions about those based on your perspective alone.