• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Satan and Hell as bad they say?

danny vee

Lucifer wanted to be and equal with god and essentialy revolted against him. So if Lucifer was trying to be more like god then why would he have us burning for eternity in hell when he wanted to become our savior the same as god?

Would it work if we were all gods? Gods competing against one another?:no: If you take the Lucifer myth to be true then there were other ways for lucifer. Like just being happy with what he had.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Going by the traditional Christian definitions of hell it can't be much worse than heaven... after all I can either like forward to eternal physical torture in terms of pain or eternal mental torture in terms of sheer boredom.

Actually come to think of it, if you follow the type of hell we see in Dante's inferno then I'd say hell is better than heaven at least at the level I would end up at. And this is a commonly accepted description of hell, in this hell the "good" Pagans(*raises hand*) go to the first level of hell which is basically just Earth all over again and I would find that far more heavenly than spending eternity in a giant city, cities are nice to visit on occasion but I have no intention of ever living in one.

But then if we go by the definition of heaven and hell merely being states of mind, which I feel is more likely to be the case, then hell is only as bad as you make it out to be.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Well, emiliano at least I can respect you in the same way I respected Adolf Hitler: you both admit that you simply don't give a damn.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think I'll just stick to following in the steps of Lucifer and Satan. At least they condone killing of people who they don't like, or are different.

emiliano

Well, emiliano at least I can respect you in the same way I respected Adolf Hitler: you both admit that you simply don't give a damn.

Is not that I don’t give a dime for the reprobate. It is that they there were given free will so as to enable them to choose God and there is nothing I can do if don‘t want to use it for good, if they don’t repent and change the path in which they travel, they will end where they choose to end up. The reason for their obstinacy I don’t understand, I can only counsel that they come to light, that they repent and change, one reason that I can think of is that they have their sin accommodated for in some religions, I cannot in honesty say to them. you will be alright without changing you path because I believe that it lead to a place that is worst than the great toaster we call hell.
Joh 3:20 For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

emiliano

Actually, those who rebelled, according to Islam, have free will, but they were not angels, but djinns. They believed that angels don't have free will, but the djinns do. And to them, Satan was not a former angel, but a djinn.

Christianity and Judaism don't have djinns.

Interesting, but we Christian believe that in heavens this is not possible, these djunns could not have live in heaven at any time, these creatures, are they like humans? Did they have physical bodies?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Interesting, but we Christian believe that in heavens this is not possible, these djunns could not have live in heaven at any time, these creatures, are they like humans? Did they have physical bodies?

Djinns are beings born from fire.

A common mistranslation of djinn is genie.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Is not that I don’t give a dime for the reprobate. It is that they there were given free will so as to enable them to choose God and there is nothing I can do if don‘t want to use it for good, if they don’t repent and change the path in which they travel, they will end where they choose to end up. The reason for their obstinacy I don’t understand, I can only counsel that they come to light, that they repent and change, one reason that I can think of is that they have their sin accommodated for in some religions, I cannot in honesty say to them. you will be alright without changing you path because I believe that it lead to a place that is worst than the great toaster we call hell.
Joh 3:20 For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

To some, that place you speak of worse than hell is paradise.

Besides, that quote doesn't apply to someone simply because they aren't Christian. I'm not Christian, and I hardly hate light. If your God is the correct one, not only do I want him to know of everything that goes on in my life, my head, and my subconscious, but I'm also aware that there's no way to hide it from him. And I believe it's pointless to be afraid of something that is beyond control.

emiliano

Djinns are beings born from fire.

A common mistranslation of djinn is genie.

What that entails? are they made of a physical kind of fire? The OT and contrary to what is been said in this discussion call Angel, sons of God,
Gen 6:2 the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were good. And they took wives for themselves from all whom they chose.
Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days. And also after that, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore to them, they were mighty men who existed of old, men of renown.
Demons/djinns are the Angels that did not use free will to choose God, they are the defeated Angels that lost their integrity and follow Luciffer. Satan as it would be expected kept his followers by providing sensual pleasure, they possessed physical bodies (made from the ground) to satisfy their lust with the daughter of men.
“And Jehovah said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, in his erring; he is flesh.” and demons are spirits thus their fornications were an aberration, and the product of that aberration were utterly destroyed. Demons can only manifest themselves by possessing earth made creatures, they are spirits.
Job 1:6 And a day came when the sons of God came to present themselves before Jehovah. And Satan also came among them.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
What that entails? are they made of a physical kind of fire? The OT and contrary to what is been said in this discussion call Angel, sons of God,
Gen 6:2 the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were good. And they took wives for themselves from all whom they chose.
Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days. And also after that, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore to them, they were mighty men who existed of old, men of renown.
Demons/djinns are the Angels that did not use free will to choose God, they are the defeated Angels that lost their integrity and follow Luciffer. Satan as it would be expected kept his followers by providing sensual pleasure, they possessed physical bodies (made from the ground) to satisfy their lust with the daughter of men.
“And Jehovah said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, in his erring; he is flesh.” and demons are spirits thus their fornications were an aberration, and the product of that aberration were utterly destroyed. Demons can only manifest themselves by possessing earth made creatures, they are spirits.
Job 1:6 And a day came when the sons of God came to present themselves before Jehovah. And Satan also came among them.

I don't know much about djinns. They could be demons. But they are not angels and were never angels; in Islam they are a completely different creature. Djinns have free will; angels don't.

And I'm not sure how the Biblical quotes you used have anything to do with the ideas you use them with.

danny vee

Going by the traditional Christian definitions of hell it can't be much worse than heaven... after all I can either like forward to eternal physical torture in terms of pain or eternal mental torture in terms of sheer boredom.

Actually come to think of it, if you follow the type of hell we see in Dante's inferno then I'd say hell is better than heaven at least at the level I would end up at. And this is a commonly accepted description of hell, in this hell the "good" Pagans(*raises hand*) go to the first level of hell which is basically just Earth all over again and I would find that far more heavenly than spending eternity in a giant city, cities are nice to visit on occasion but I have no intention of ever living in one.

But then if we go by the definition of heaven and hell merely being states of mind, which I feel is more likely to be the case, then hell is only as bad as you make it out to be.

If Heaven is paradise then I don't think you'd be bored. You aren't human when you go to Heaven you don't feel boredom like a human. You're out of your human body.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
If Heaven is paradise then I don't think you'd be bored. You aren't human when you go to Heaven you don't feel boredom like a human. You're out of your human body.

Then what's the point? No boredom, no bliss, no happiness, no sadness...

We'd be as the mindless Seraphim! No thanks!

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member

But I would still be myself wouldn't I?(unless you think in going to heaven "who we are" is completley changed, in which case I would still say no thanks) And I am the kind of person who would find it very boring and very stuffy and feel very crowded in a city. I wouldn't mind visiting occasionally, but heaven to me would be swimming through the depths of the ocean with the dolphins with no need for a wetsuit nor need to worry about water pressure; or running through the forests along side the wolves, flying high in the sky without any limits, or even exploring the wonders of space at my leisure without any need for a spacesuit nor need to worry about the great amount of time and distance to traverse. Nature is my heaven, a city is just buildings, but Nature is truly wondrous.

challupa

But I would still be myself wouldn't I?(unless you think in going to heaven "who we are" is completley changed, in which case I would still say no thanks) And I am the kind of person who would find it very boring and very stuffy and feel very crowded in a city. I wouldn't mind visiting occasionally, but heaven to me would be swimming through the depths of the ocean with the dolphins with no need for a wetsuit nor need to worry about water pressure; or running through the forests along side the wolves, flying high in the sky without any limits, or even exploring the wonders of space at my leisure without any need for a spacesuit nor need to worry about the great amount of time and distance to traverse. Nature is my heaven, a city is just buildings, but Nature is truly wondrous.
Yes, those things would be wonderful to experience!!:yes:

Scott C.

Just one guy
Lucifer wanted to be and equal with god and essentialy revolted against him. So if Lucifer was trying to be more like god then why would he have us burning for eternity in hell when he wanted to become our savior the same as god?

The following is from LDS scripture. Most people have never seen this. It explains A LOT about God, HIs purposes, Satan, and His purposes. Please read it all. Even if you don't accept LDS scripture, you will learn something new and gain a new perspective on what we believe. I consider this to be one of my most favorite chapters in all scripture...

Pearl of Great Price, Moses 1

1 The words of God, which he spake unto Moses at a time when Moses was caught up into an exceedingly high mountain,
2 And he saw God face to face, and he talked with him, and the glory of God was upon Moses; therefore Moses could endure his presence.

3 And God spake unto Moses, saying: Behold, I am the Lord God Almighty, and Endless is my name; for I am without beginning of days or end of years; and is not this endless?

4 And, behold, thou art my son; wherefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands; but not all, for my works are without end, and also my words, for they never cease.

5 Wherefore, no man can behold all my works, except he behold all my glory; and no man can behold all my glory, and afterwards remain in the flesh on the earth.

6 And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only cBegotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all.

7 And now, behold, this one thing I show unto thee, Moses, my son, for thou art in the world, and now I show it unto thee.

8 And it came to pass that Moses looked, and beheld the world upon which he was created; and Moses beheld the world and the ends thereof, and all the children of men which are, and which were created; of the same he greatly marveled and wondered.

9 And the presence of God withdrew from Moses, that his glory was not upon Moses; and Moses was left unto himself. And as he was left unto himself, he fell unto the earth.

10 And it came to pass that it was for the space of many hours before Moses did again receive his natural strength like unto man; and he said unto himself: Now, for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed.

11 But now mine own eyes have beheld God; but not my natural, but my spiritual eyes, for my natural eyes could not have beheld; for I should have withered and died in his presence; but his glory was upon me; and I beheld his face, for I was transfigured before him.

12 And it came to pass that when Moses had said these words, behold, Satan came tempting him, saying: Moses, son of man, worship me.

13 And it came to pass that Moses looked upon Satan and said: Who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?

14 For behold, I could not look upon God, except his glory should come upon me, and I were transfigured before him. But I can look upon thee in the natural man. Is it not so, surely?

15 Blessed be the name of my God, for his Spirit hath not altogether withdrawn from me, or else where is thy glory, for it is darkness unto me? And I can judge between thee and God; for God said unto me: Worship God, for him only shalt thou serve.

16 Get thee hence, Satan; deceive me not; for God said unto me: Thou art after the similitude of mine Only Begotten.

17 And he also gave me commandments when he called unto me out of the burning bush, saying: Call upon God in the name of mine Only Begotten, and worship me.

18 And again Moses said: I will not cease to call upon God, I have other things to inquire of him: for his glory has been upon me, wherefore I can judge between him and thee. Depart hence, Satan.

19 And now, when Moses had said these words, Satan cried with a loud voice, and ranted upon the earth, and commanded, saying: I am the Only Begotten, worship me.

Continued next post...

Last edited: