• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Building Bridges to the Unity of Humanity

Building bridges to the Unity of Humamity will require a plan?

• Total voters

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
In Islam, a houri is a maiden woman with beautiful eyes who is described as a reward for the faithful Muslim men in paradise.
Wikipedia

They're not just there to look at?
This is where one needs reed the applicable quran verses for their own self. There is absolutely no support for such superficial materialistic interpretations of such verses. In both the Quran or the Bible.

It is the same as interpreting this verse in a materialistic way.

Isaiah 11:6 "The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them"

Regards Tony

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
In Islam, a houri is a maiden woman with beautiful eyes who is described as a reward for the faithful Muslim men in paradise.
Wikipedia

They're not just there to look at?
Here's references in the Writings by Baha'u'llah:

Say, this is the day whereon the Most Great Bounty has appeared, and nothing, either in the supremest heaven or in the lowest earth, but utters in My mention and sings in the praise of Myself — were ye of those who hear, O Temple of the Manifestation! Blow though the horn in My Name: Then O Temple of the Secrets! Breathe thou into the fife in commemoration of thy Lord, the Unconstrained: Then O Houri [Maid] of Paradise!
Bahá’u’lláh, Anton F. Haddad, Shoghi Effendi, Tablet of the Temple: Two translations collated, 339

If thou (Houri) dost not find anyone to receive from thy white hand the red wine in the Name of thy Lord, the High, the Supreme, who
appeared once more after His first appearance,* in His Name, El Abha (the Most Glorious), do not grieve, leave these people to themselves; then go back to the pavilion of Greatness and Might where thou wilt find people whose faces shine as the sun at mid-day, singing and praising their Lord in this Name which arose on the abode of sovereignty with the dominion of glory and power — verily though dost not hear from them aught save mention and praise — verily thy Lord is a witness to all that which I say.
Bahá’u’lláh, Anton F. Haddad, Shoghi Effendi, Tablet of the Temple: Two translations collated, 101

Houri here has a mystical meaning. Of course that will not convince you that the meaning in the Qur'an is mystical or symbolical.

Parallel Hidden Words translation:

In the night-season the beauty of the immortal Being hath repaired from the emerald height of fidelity unto the Sadratu'l-Muntaha, and wept with such a weeping that the concourse on high and the dwellers of the realms above wailed at His lamenting. Whereupon there was asked, Why the wailing and weeping? He made reply: As bidden I waited expectant upon the hill of faithfulness, yet inhaled not from them that dwell on earth the fragrance of fidelity. Then summoned to return I beheld, and lo! certain doves of holiness were sore tried within the claws of the dogs of earth. Thereupon the Maid of heaven hastened forth unveiled and resplendent from Her mystic mansion, and asked of their names, and all were told but one. And when urged, the first letter thereof was uttered, whereupon the dwellers of the celestial chambers rushed forth out of their habitation of glory. And whilst the second letter was pronounced they fell down, one and all, upon the dust. At that moment a voice was heard from the inmost shrine: "Thus far and no farther." Verily We bear witness to that which they have done and now are doing.
Bahá’u’lláh, Parallel Hidden Words in English (Early and Authorised), 886

In the Eye of Beauty, the Temple of Immortality returned to the Sadrat-el-Montaha note, from the emerald Hill of Faithfulness, and wept with such a weeping that all the Sublime Concourse and the Cherubim wept because of His grief. When besought the reason of lamentation and wailing, He declared, "I was waiting, according to the Command, upon the Hill of Faithfulness, and found not the scent of fidelity from the dwellers of the earth; therefore I returned, and declare unto them that many nightingales of holiness are suffering in the claws of the dogs of the earth."
Whereupon the Divine Houris ran, uncovered and unveiled from the spiritual Palace and questioned the latter's names (the sufferers). All were mentioned, except one, a name of the names. As they insisted, the first letter of the name flowed forth from the tongue; at which the people of the upper chambers ran forth from their retreats of honour. When it came to the second letter, all dropped down in the dust. At that time, this proclamation came forth from the Retreat of Nearness, saying 'More than this is not permissible.' "Verily, We were Witness to that which they have done and are doing at this time."
Bahá’u’lláh, Parallel Hidden Words in English (Early and Authorised), 888-889

Houri here has been translated as the Maid of heaven in one translation.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One does not have to be a Baha'i, want to be a Baha'i and is not being asked to be a Baha'i, to note what was said and the wisdom it now reflects.
Sorry, but I don't see wisdom there, just flowery exhortations to be pious, which means be good and be religious. We don't need the religious part to be good, and Abrahamic religions are not as ethically sound as humanistic values, which feature none of the Abrahamic bigotries for example.
I am offering, and it is becoming more and more obvious, that you and many, will try every path of rejection, before they will say, hey that sounds like a good idea.
Those ideas are unimpressive. You don't seem to understand that people can look at them and see that there are better ideas already out there.

There's no plan, the Baha'i faith has appealed only to a small percentage of people, and it has accomplished nothing significant to the world since its inception. At what point does one realize that that will never change? Why would it? How could it? What event or mechanism suddenly makes those words appeal to a majority of people or cause the Baha' to suddenly make inroads in bringing world peace?
I would offer we should do it God's Way, using the advice God has given us via the Messengers.
I would offer that nobody including messengers knows anything at all about gods. My "messengers" are within me. One is my reasoning faculty which, when combined with reason and memory, tells me what is true about the world. The other is my conscience, which tells me what is good and right.

You speak of more modern messengers supplanting older ones. Mine is speaking now.
The suggestion by Abdul'baha was not asking people to change their faith, but to accept the divine origin of the Tanakh Prophets and both Jesus and Muhammad.
Why would anybody do that? These prophets are ordinary people living ordinary lives and expressing ordinary opinions.

This is my former pastor leading such a life:
1726409585493.png

Thousands of people live lives like that and deliver messages that are indistinguishable from your messenger's words which they also claim come from a god. As for an exemplary life, I'll bet your messengers didn't accomplish half of this.

Even so, I don't consider pastor King to be of divine origin, either, so why should I think that about Jesus, Muhammad, or the Baha'i prophets?
do you have a solution to share?
I have the ideology that has done the most to improve the human condition - humanism.

Baha'ism has no solutions. If it did, it would have made significant inroads in its 180 years.
That's if you believe in the dogma created by the followers of Jesus and Muhammad. I don't.
Me, neither.

Humanism rejects dogma. Its principles are evidence based, tentative, and amenable to revision if new knowledge requires it.

Your religion has its own dogma as we see in these threads.

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The laws given by the Prophets are relative to the times. So Christs teachings on divorce were right for His age or dispensation which ended with the appearance of Muhammad Who’s laws then became the updated laws for Muhammad’s age which all Christians should have turned to as Muhammad was prophesied in both the OT and NT. By denying Muhammad they had disobeyed Christ Who spoke of Muhammad.

So the law of divorce was right for Christ’s time but superseded by the Quran. Both right for their own times.
As if the Abrahamic religions were the only game in town.

So, with the coming of Moses, not only did whatever his laws said change any law that was supposedly brought by the manifestation of God, Abraham, but also any law brought by Krishna, Buddha, or Zoroaster?

And, if you put any of them after Moses, that's worse, then the laws brought by Moses would have been replaced by the new laws brought by Krishna, Buddha, or Zoroaster.... depending how Baha'is place them chronologically.

It seems obvious, that all these religions were regional. Moses brought laws for the people of Israel. And the others brought, I guess some laws, but to me, it was their spiritual teaching that was important. And it still reflected the beliefs in a geographical area.

There just seems like there's so many reasons why the Baha'i concept of "progressive" revelation isn't true.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There's no plan, and the Baha'i faith has appealed to a small percentage of people and has accomplished nothing significant to the world since its inception. At what point does one realize that that will never change? Why would it? How could it? What event or mechanism suddenly makes those words appeal to a majority of people or cause the Baha' to suddenly make inroads in bringing world peace?

Do the math yourself.
I am kind of disappointed in you since what you said is so illogical. How many Christians do you think there were at the end of the first century?

Throughout the first century the total number of Jews in the Christian movement probably never exceeded 1 000 and by the end of the century the Christian church was largely Gentile.
https://acuresearchbank.acu.edu.au

There were five million Baha'is at the end of the first century. You could argue that now we have mass communications which would account for the greater numbers, but that is not primarily how the Baha'i Faith grew during the first century. It grew because Baha'is sacrificed for the sake of the Cause, gave up everything and went pioneering all over the world.

Why would anyone expect the Bahai Faith to be larger than it is, given the followers of all the major religions have rejected Baha'u'llah?
And of course agnostics and believers with no religion have also rejected Him. Why the Baha'i Faith is still relatively small is the subject for another post, I have a long list of reasons.

The Baha'i Faith is growing fast, but it is going to take a long time to catch up with the older religions which have been around for thousands of years.

It is one of the world's fastest-growing religions. It is also probably the most diverse." In 2007, The World Factbook states that Baháʼís make up 0.12% of the world, corresponding to 7.9 million people.
Baháʼí Faith by country - Wikipedia

How do you know that it will never change? It could easily change if Christians stopped waiting for Jesus and embraced Baha'u'llah.
Of course we know that will probably never happen, but God could get sick to death of Christians waiting for Jesus and intervene, causing a big change to occur. God is probably already sick to death of this situation so God could intervene at any time, but He won't intervene until the appointed time.

“The world is in travail, and its agitation waxeth day by day. Its face is turned towards waywardness and unbelief. Such shall be its plight, that to disclose it now would not be meet and seemly. Its perversity will long continue. And when the appointed hour is come, there shall suddenly appear that which shall cause the limbs of mankind to quake. Then, and only then, will the Divine Standard be unfurled, and the Nightingale of Paradise warble its melody.”

It is completely illogical to say that the Baha'i Faith has no solutions just because it has not made significant inroads in its 180 years.

How do you expect 7.9 million people, only 0.12 % of the world population to make a major impact upon the world?
How do you expect the Baha'i Faith to grow larger when it is rejected my almost everyone who belongs to one of the major religions?

How long did it take Christianity to grow large and make a major impact upon the world?

I will leave you to do the research and math yourself.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
We don't need the religious part to be good, and Abrahamic religions are not as ethically sound as humanistic values, which feature none of the Abrahamic bigotries for example.

I have the ideology that has done the most to improve the human condition - humanism.

Baha'ism has no solutions. If it did, it would have made significant inroads in its 180 years.
Yes... The "religious" part of the Baha'i Faith might actually be part of why they haven't been able to do much.

One Baha'is makes the point that Christians are waiting for Jesus to come and fix everything. But she tells them that he's not coming back... ever.

But it's not much different for Baha'is. They say that the "lesser" peace will come, and then the "greater" peace. They are still just something they keep hoping for, someday.

I was around Baha'is for three years and I new a lot of inactive Baha'is. They just got tired of waiting. Too much talk and not much doing. And the talk was mostly about their prophet and how great he was.

Oh, and other religions, like the Mormons and Ahmadiyya, that started about the same time as the Baha'i Faith, have more followers. And if the Baha'is that aren't practicing Baha'is, yet are still listed as being Baha'i, were subtracted, who knows how many actual members they do have.

Last edited:

Ponder This

"....Whether peace is to be reached only after unimaginable horrors precipitated by humanity’s stubborn clinging to old patterns of behaviour, or is to be embraced now by an act of consultative will, is the choice before all who inhabit the earth. At this critical juncture when the intractable problems confronting nations have been fused into one common concern for the whole world, failure to stem the tide of conflict and disorder would be unconscionably irresponsible..."
Do you think peace must follow after after unimaginable horrors? I'd like to be able to say that World War II brought about true peace and an end to the horrors one person can inflict upon another. But it did not. Conflict arises again, other wars are fought, and other horrors inflicted.

I think with weapons like nukes and such, the way the world will agree to disarm won’t be because they have all become spiritual which is highly unlikely, but that these weapons will be used and many cities will be destroyed which will trigger a worldwide earthquake where even more major cities are turned to dust. Everyone will be a huge loser. Billions will die.I believe under such circumstances an understanding would be quickly reached to get rid of them and the law of collective security be enforced worldwide so that if anyone tries to manufacture again, the world will unite and destroy that government.

I believe world disarmament will not be a gesture of goodwill but a matter of our very survival. This is the only real scenario I see world disarmament taking place.
You can disarm, but you can't uninvent. Since the invention of nukes, we have discovered more methods of mass destruction and also discovered more horrors to inflict upon others. Knowledge is of good and evil.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
One Baha'is makes the point that Christians are waiting for Jesus to come and fix everything. But she tells them that he's not coming back... ever.
I did not tell them that, Jesus told them that. I am only passing along what Jesus said.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Oh, and other religions, like the Mormons and Ahmadiyya, that started about the same time as the Baha'i Faith, have more followers. And if the Baha'is that aren't practicing Baha'is, yet are still listed as being Baha'i, were subtracted, who knows how many actual members they do have.
Why would it matter how many followers there are or how active the followers are? A religion is either true or it is not.
That has absolutely nothing to do with how many people believe that it is true.

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so."

This type of argument is known by several names,[1] including appeal to the masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to democracy, appeal to popularity, argument by consensus, consensus fallacy, authority of the many, bandwagon fallacy, voxpopuli,[2] and in Latin as argumentum ad numerum ("appeal to the number"), fickle crowd syndrome, and consensus gentium ("agreement of the clans").

The converse of this is that if many or most people do not believe it, it cannot be so, and that is fallacious.

In early Christianity, when there were few Christians, Christianity was the narrow way, but now the Baha'i Faith is the narrow way.

The Narrow Way

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because[a] narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. (Matthew 7:13-14)

The wide gate is the gate where the multitudes enter through because it is easy to get through. Just believe in Jesus and you are saved and forgiven. There is nothing difficult about being a Christian, one reason that there are so many Christians. It is much more difficult to be a Baha'i as there are so many expectations which are not easy to meet.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
Do you think peace must follow after after unimaginable horrors? I'd like to be able to say that World War II brought about true peace and an end to the horrors one person can inflict upon another. But it did not. Conflict arises again, other wars are fought, and other horrors inflicted.
That is basically because the United Nations was not given the mandate it needed to maintain peace. There are certain mandatory requirements, that if not implemented, no union of Nations will succeed.

Regards Tony

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would anyone expect the Bahai Faith to be larger than it is, given the followers of all the major religions have rejected Baha'u'llah?
If the religion were appealing, its naysayers couldn't prevent it from growing.
God is probably already sick to death of this situation so God could intervene at any time, but He won't intervene until the appointed time.
Even your god, if it exists, hasn't helped implement this call for world peace.

As you know, I have a different answer for why this god doesn't intervene in the affairs of man and why it seems nonexistent.
How do you expect 7.9 million people, only 0.12 % of the world population to make a major impact upon the world?
I don't.
How do you expect the Baha'i Faith to grow larger when it is rejected my almost everyone who belongs to one of the major religions?
I don't.
It is completely illogical to say that the Baha'i Faith has no solutions just because it has not made significant inroads in its 180 years.
You're blaming everything except the religion for its failure to gain widespread popularity and influence. Perhaps it's simply unappealing to too many. As you noted, they have access to widespread telecommunications.

But it's not just about growth. The 8 million it has have been ineffective.

How do you decide when an idea is ineffective? For me, failure to produce any significant results after nearly two centuries would be a big factor.

The NY Jets just fired its head coach five games into the NFL season because he failed to deliver the results they expected from him.

We changed our roofer after two failed attempts to patch our roof. His replacement got it done first try.

Contrast that with somebody who has ideas that people like - the new Democratic nominee for president. In just a few weeks using tools available to the Baha'i to get her message out, she has attracted tens of millions of people who knew very little about her and raised over a billion dollars because she has a message that resonates with so many.
How long did it take Christianity to grow large and make a major impact upon the world?
The Christians aren't making a positive impact on the world, either.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
I would suggest that to build bridges one first have a plan, and this is the level that humanity is currently at, the bridges are not able to be built without plans
It is true some kind plan is needed. However, the Gods already have such plans. Soon, perhaps in a year or two, the Christ will be here. He will guide and lead humanity into peace and unity.

Actually, we do have to do the work ourselves, but the Christ will be there to show us the way. So, for now, we don't need to make our own plans, which will be difficult to implement without the Christ's help, given the discord, polarization and conflict in the world today.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The only thing that matters is whether a religion is the truth from God....
What appeals to people has nothing to do with whether or not a religion is the truth from God....

Below is a list of seven reasons why I think the Baha’i Faith is still relatively small.
None of them have anything to do with the religion itself. All of them are related to human behavior.

1. Many people have never heard of the Baha’i Faith, so they do not know there is something to look for. It is the responsibility of the Baha’is to get the message out, so if that is not happening, the Baha’is are to blame. However, once the message has been delivered the Baha’is are not to blame if people reject the message.

2. But even after people know about the Baha’i Faith, most people are not even willing to look the evidence in order to determine if it is true or not.

3. Even if they are willing to look at the evidence, there is a lot of prejudice before even getting out the door to look at the evidence.

4. 84% of people in the world already have a religion and they are happy with their religion so they have no interest in a “new religion.”

5. The rest of the world’s population is agnostics or atheists or believers who are prejudiced against all religion.

6. Agnostics or atheists and atheists and believers who have no religion either do not believe that God communicates via Messengers or they find fault with the Messenger, Baha’u’llah.

7. Baha’u’llah brought new teachings and laws that are very different from the older religions so many people are suspicious of those teachings and/or don’t like the laws
Why would God implement the call for world peace? That is what humans are for.
As you know, I have a different answer for why this god doesn't intervene in the affairs of man and why it seems nonexistent.
Of course I know.
You're blaming everything except the religion for its failure to gain widespread popularity and influence. Perhaps it's simply unappealing to too many. As you noted, they have access to widespread telecommunications.
The reasons that the Baha'i Faith is still relatively small are listed above. It is people who are responsible. The religion has nothing to do with it.
How do you know that it has been ineffective? Do you know what the Baha'is are doing all over the world?
How do you decide when an idea is ineffective? For me, failure to produce any significant results after nearly two centuries would be a big factor.
How do you know that there has been a failure to produce any significant results after nearly two centuries?
Results that 'you expect to see' are not the results that Baha'is have been enjoined to produce.
Well, at least they are involved in some humanitarian efforts, getting food and supplies to people in war-torn and disaster areas.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Soon, perhaps in a year or two, the Christ will be here. He will guide and lead humanity into peace and unity.
Jesus never promised to return to earth, not even once in the entire New Testament.
It is absurd for Christians to still be waiting for Jesus to return given what Jesus said.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Jesus never said that was coming back to guide and lead humanity into peace and unity.

Christians want Jesus to be who He never was, but they cannot do that based upon anything that is in the New Testament.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Jesus never promised to return to earth, not even once in the entire New Testament.
It is absurd for Christians to still be waiting for Jesus to return given what Jesus said.

Jesus never said that was coming back to guide and lead humanity into peace and unity.

Christians want Jesus to be who He never was, but they cannot do that based upon anything that is in the New Testament.
I never said anything about Jesus. I said the Christ will be here soon.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

I don't.

I don't.

The NY Jets just fired its head coach five games into the NFL season because he failed to deliver the results they expected from him.

We changed our roofer after two failed attempts to patch our roof. His replacement got it done first try.

Contrast that with somebody who has ideas that people like - the new Democratic nominee for president. In just a few weeks using tools available to the Baha'i to get her message out, she has attracted tens of millions of people who knew very little about her and raised over a billion dollars because she has a message that resonates with so many.

Influence is not only measured by statistics and numbers.

Since Baha'u'llah pronounced the world is but one country, science and technology have created a virtual world through the internet and international communications and travel. His teachings of the oneness and equality of humanity has given birth to many human rights organizations and Charters such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. His proclamation that all religions originate from the same one God has forged movements worldwide such as interfaith which is becoming more and more widespread and endorsed even by figures such as the pope. Long before the UN or League of Nations was formed, Baha'u'llah called for a congregation of world leaders to come together and establish world peace. His ideas and teachings are spreading like wildfire and there is no village, city, town or country in the world which is not adopting His teachings because they are the need of this age and despite the small number of Baha'is and in spite of the world not as of yet recognized their Source.

It would indeed be a grave error to misjudge the influence the teachings of Baha'u'llah have had on civilization and will continue to have and basically belies ignorance of His Life and Teachings for anyone who has intimate knowledge of His Life and Mission to unite humanity cannot, being unbiased, fail to recognize the extreme value and worth of these teachings to humanity today in our present climate of disunity and conflict.

He has succeeded where none have in establishing the only world community comprised of a cross section of humanity including all races, religions and nationalities previously irreconciled and conflicting under one world governing body, and achievement of world unity on a small scale that the world so far has been unable to do.

Baha'u'llah has not failed, the world has. He has created a united world community as opposed to your disunited, fragmented and warring world which criticizes Him and us yet where is your peace and unity? We can show you ours. Please show us yours.