• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Europe be Saved?

Primordial Annihilator

You do realise that almost the whole german army was in the east during the attack on poland right? Because you know they kinda needed their army for their attack.
And you do realise that there was a reason why the german army didnt attack until may 1940,
The France and the UK had over 100 divisions while the germans only had around 30 on the border. Thats three times larger.

So yeah i kinda have an idea. Its called first western betrayal for a reason because the allies had the means to start something big but they didnt want to.

Blame the French..we do.

Iceberg

Keep your money...we don't need it....or want it.

Most europeans do speak english as a second language...so you wil be alright...although it might be better if you pretend you are Canadian...many of the nations you mention are quite hostile to the US and her citizens.

Don´t think anyone in Europe is hostile to the Amercian people. It was Papa Bush and Baby Bush we didn´t like, specially not the Baby one.

Imagine some Head of State, or of goverment in Europe saying that God told him to invate a country, like Baby Bush did - think that in most Europian countries, that Head would´ve been kicked out of office immediately and driven to the closest mental hospital...

Iceberg

Glad to see you or your husband don't consider the British to be overly friendly.

We aint..especially towards septic tanks... ;)

No I don't own a hotel or a 'gas' station or even a museum.

But I if I did I wouldnt care where you were from..money is money.

I just dont want your american blood money in my nation... ;)

For political reasons... ;)

What do they say about UK and US? Two countries devided by the same language?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well, having lived in Europe for three years and visited most EU countries repeatedly, I feel very comfortable as an American in Europe. I know that not all, or even most, Europeans feel as negative and nasty toward Americans as some forum members would like for us to believe.

Iceberg

Well, having lived in Europe for three years and visited most EU countries repeatedly, I feel very comfortable as an American in Europe. I know that not all, or even most, Europeans feel as negative and nasty toward Americans as some forum members would like for us to believe.

Well - I have no problems with any American. In fact I´ve met a few of them over the years, and enjoyed being together with them.

But I do come from the most Americanised country in Europe; Iceland, and I´m raised up watching Seseme Street, Captain America, Felix the Cat etc...

Kathryn

Well - I have no problems with any American. In fact I´ve met a few of them over the years, and enjoyed being together with them.

But I do come from the most Americanised country in Europe; Iceland, and I´m raised up watching Seseme Street, Captain America, Felix the Cat etc...

Harahrhahrharhhar! Well, we're a bit more complex than that, but that's OK.

I am just frustrated by the implication by some forum members that Americans visiting Europe will be shunned or thought of negatively by most people. My experiences in Europe don't support that view, and I am looking forward to our visit in a few months. I am not at all worried about how we will be "received," and I am looking forward to spending some time with our European friends.

Primordial Annihilator

I am just frustrated by the implication by some forum members that Americans visiting Europe will be shunned or thought of negatively by most people. My experiences in Europe don't support that view, and I am looking forward to our visit in a few months. I am not at all worried about how we will be "received," and I am looking forward to spending some time with our European friends.

Your experiences are anecdotal..

I actually live in Europe and I am British...your subjective viewpoint of being an american visitor is meaningless regarding how we generally feel about your nation.
You clearly underestimate the very strong currents of resentment within the Union towards the United States..especially considering her foreign policy and environmental policies.

Yes you will be treated decently by decent people who dont let politics rule their decision making..and to be polite to you they wont mention how they feel about the entity that is the US..but nonetheless...the fact remains...your nation is about as popular as Gary Glitter...worldwide and in Europe.

I however am not so polite...the politeness gene is absent...so I will tell americans exactly what I think and make no bones about it.
Yet any american visitor to my home will get nothing less than complete courtesy and hospitality...as well as some challenging questions.

Last edited:

Primordial Annihilator

And without the French you´d still be hailing queen Elisabeth II as your Head of State... ;)

Absolutely...and yet the americans generally treat the French with contempt...cheese eating surrender monkeys? wasnt it? (Thats 'our' job by the way...insulting the French. ;))

Even though the French bailed them out in the war of Independance?

Thats gratitude for you!
Yet they expect us Brits to treat them like heroes for WW2....and to bend over backwards to please them...

I bet american history books dont dwell too much on that...:D

Last edited:

Primordial Annihilator

:rolleyes: I know. ´Allo ´Allo comes to mind, wonderful show, though Fawlty Towers must be the funniest TV show ever made.

Fawlty Towers without doubt is/was pure genius.

'Whatever you do don't mention the war'

(German guests episode)

'Manuel' the hapless waiter and Basil's whipping boy was in fact German..which always struck me as cool considering how well he played a spaniard...''I am from Barcelona...I learn english from a book''.....

I actually live in Europe and I am British...your subjective viewpoint of being an american visitor is meaningless regarding how we generally feel about your nation.
You clearly underestimate the very strong currents of resentment within the Union towards the United States..especially considering her foreign policy and environmental policies.

Yes you will be treated decently by decent people who dont let politics rule their decision making..and to be polite to you they wont mention how they feel about the entity that is the US..but nonetheless...the fact remains...your nation is about as popular as Gary Glitter...worldwide and in Europe.

I however am not so polite...the politeness gene is absent...so I will tell americans exactly what I think and make no bones about it.
Yet any american visitor to my home will get nothing less than complete courtesy and hospitality...as well as some challenging questions.

Challenging questions lead to challenging answers.

Kathryn

As are yours.

Well, to be honest, I don't really care how YOU feel about my nation, and I am sure you aren't a spokesperson for the British people, let alone all Europeans.

As for my viewpoint being meaningless - it's relevant to me. I base my viewpoint on my personal experiences and on the opinions of my European friends. Of course I realize that Europeans have a wide variety of opinions about Americans, and that some of those opinions are negative. So what? I never said this wasn't so. What I said is that I am not WORRIED about visiting Europe, because as an American who has lived in Europe for three straight years, and traveled extensively and repeatedly throughout Europe, I've always been well treated and the only rude people I encountered were in France, and in a solitary restaurant in Vienna.

And everyone knows the French and the Viennese are rude to just about everyone. ;)

I don't underestimate it. It just doesn't bother me.

To repeat -you're not a spokesperson for the EU. And I'm not naive. And I don't for a minute doubt that most Europeans are much more polite than you are.

As for American popularity - once again, to be blunt, I don't much care whether American foreign policy is popular in Europe. As for my own popularity, I've never had a problem being liked and responded to positively - even in Europe. That's really all that matters to me.

Well, it's a good thing you're not inviting me to your home, because I'd have to give you a good dose of rejection. I don't owe you any explanations.

I'll be spending time with my other European friends - we'll stay a day or two with
them, because they've visited us here in the US several times. I'm really looking forward to seeing their home and spending a few days with them touring WW2 historical sites.

They love it here in the southern US and would love to move here. In fact, their son is studying law in the US right now and hopes to eventually live here permanently.

We'll see!

Our other set of friends we'll be visiting own an antique shop in Germany. They are very, very dear friends and we've had lots of spirited conversations about US policies and culture. Our differences in opinion are absolutely no obstacle to our friendship and none of us feel any sort of burning need to be confrontational.

So - no worries! We'll just rent that car and make our way through central Europe at a friendly, casual pace, and I'm sure that as usual, we'll share many very positive experiences with those we meet, and very few, if any, negative experiences.

And everyone will benefit.

Last edited:

Primordial Annihilator

Well, to be honest, I don't really care how YOU feel about my nation, and I am sure you aren't a spokesperson for the British people, let alone all Europeans.

I am not at all surprised that you are apathetic.
Don't be too sure about anything....:)

As for my viewpoint being meaningless - it's relevant to me. I base my viewpoint on my personal experiences and on the opinions of my European friends. Of course I realize that Europeans have a wide variety of opinions about Americans, and that some of those opinions are negative. So what? I never said this wasn't so. What I said is that I am not WORRIED about visiting Europe, because as an American who has lived in Europe for three straight years, and traveled extensively and repeatedly throughout Europe, I've always been well treated and the only rude people I encountered were in France, and in a solitary restaurant in Vienna.

Well you dont have to be worried...we wont shoot you for your trainers here luv.
I dont want you to be worried, I want you to see why we are better :D

I don't underestimate it. It just doesn't bother me.

Really?
Well if people hated my nation it would bother me.
Fair enough though...gotta respect that kind of blatant apathy.

To repeat -you're not a spokesperson for the EU. And I'm not naive. And I don't for a minute doubt that most Europeans are much more polite than you are.

Capital!

Incidently whoever I am or may become could be more relevant than you might be predisposed to imagine ;)

As for American popularity - once again, to be blunt, I don't much care whether American foreign policy is popular in Europe. As for my own popularity, I've never had a problem being liked and responded to positively - even in Europe. That's really all that matters to me.

Fascinating example of american ignorance...you carry on dear...I dont want reconcilliation between the US and EU I want total seperation in all matters wherever possible.

Well, it's a good thing you're not inviting me to your home, because I'd have to give you a good dose of rejection. I don't owe you any explanations.

Rejection?

I dont want you Kathryn...I barely know you :D

I'll be spending time with my other European friends - we'll stay a day or two with
them, because they've visited us here in the US several times. I'm really looking forward to seeing their home and spending a few days with them touring WW2 historical sites.

Have a beautiful time.

They love it here in the southern US and would love to move here. In fact, their son is studying law in the US right now and hopes to eventually live here permanently.

Each to their own I say...

Our other set of friends we'll be visiting own an antique shop in Germany. They are very, very dear friends and we've had lots of spirited conversations about US policies and culture. Our differences in opinion are absolutely no obstacle to our friendship and none of us feel any sort of burning need to be confrontational.

Good..glad to hear it...politics should not come between friends...but are we friends?

So - no worries! We'll just rent that car and make our way through central Europe at a friendly, casual pace, and I'm sure that as usual, we'll share many very positive experiences with those we meet, and very few, if any, negative experiences.

Indeed you probably will...we europeans are decent people. ;)

Last edited:

Kathryn

Primordial - that's great. And I think all your pithy comments are really cute.

It's obvious that your hatred of the United States (which leans heavily to the extreme end) creates a viewpoint that is more virulent than average. I don't doubt that your circle of friends may share your viewpoint. It's kind of like when you own a Volkswagen Beetle - suddenly it seems like they're everywhere and that they're the most popular vehicle out there.

And I don't doubt that the US is not loved in the EU. There's usually some animosity between countries which consider themselves important and powerful. What I do doubt is that most Europeans share your blatant hatred toward the US.

This may come as a surprise to you, but many Americans, if they ever even think about it, aren't exactly POSITIVE and affectionate when it comes to France, Germany, the UK, etc. In fact, some Americans - a pretty big chunk of them - dislike the policies and practices of many EU countries and citizens. So they could relate well to a bit of negativity from some Europeans.

But so what? Why focus on the negative?

You may choose to. But not me. I'd rather discover and revel in the commonalities between people, and foster goodwill and peace and prosperity. And being of European ancestry, I am looking forward to researching my family tree while I'm in Germany. That's where some of my peeps hailed from - a little town in the Black Forest, where the people (gasp) have legs and arms and eyes and hair -and opinions, and ideas and goals, just like me!

My Jewish ancestors were from Zurich, Switzerland. I hope we get a chance to do some family research there as well.

Our next big trip to Europe will be to the UK and Ireland - my husband's ancestry is Irish and my other big branch of family is from England. They were a very prominent family and there's even a window in Westminster Abbey with their coat of arms on it! One taught as a professor at Oxford in the 1500s, and one was an officer who sailed with Captain Cook on the Endeavor in the 1700s. Several of them left England to settle in the New World and one of them was a member of the House of Burgesses in Virginia.

I only say this to illustrate that I share my heritage with many Europeans. Though I don't agree with some EU policy, I really don't give a rat's *** about that when it comes to vacation, and I'm sure that the people I interact with while there don't really give a rat's *** about US policy either when it comes to renting us a car, or a hotel room, or selling us dinner or souvenirs.

Last edited:

lunakilo

I disagree that there is or was anything noble going on in Europe. The European Union is a three card trick intending to coerce us into an unwanted and unhealthy subservience to France and Germany. I dislike and distrust the European project. I do not wish to be ruled by an official in Frankfurt.
That sounds like me when I was 14 years old.

I changed my mind about it though :)

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Our next big trip to Europe will be to the UK and Ireland - my husband's ancestry is Irish and my other big branch of family is from England. They were a very prominent family and there's even a window in Westminster Abbey with their coat of arms on it! One taught as a professor at Oxford in the 1500s, and one was an officer who sailed with Captain Cook on the Endeavor in the 1700s. Several of them left England to settle in the New World and one of them was a member of the House of Burgesses in Virginia.

I only say this to illustrate that I share my heritage with many Europeans. Though I don't agree with some EU policy, I really don't give a rat's *** about that when it comes to vacation, and I'm sure that the people I interact with while there don't really give a rat's *** about US policy either when it comes to renting us a car, or a hotel room, or selling us dinner or souvenirs.

Make sure to look me up for a coffee when you're coming to Ireland :)

The US and the EU annoy the hell out of me in about equal measure. In general when I meet people I expect to like them. I also expect to disagree with their politics :D