• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaza civilians killed at historic pace

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
And you supposedly known this how? Ever been to Israel?
See the below link and excerpt from 2021. Emphasis is mine in Bold.

"For more than a decade, when analysts described the strategy utilized by Israel against Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip, they’ve used a metaphor: With their displays of overwhelming military strength, Israeli forces were “mowing the grass.

The phrase implies the Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip and their supply of crude but effective homemade weapons are like weeds that need to be cut back.

Such tactics have faced significant criticism from international human rights groups, often due to the disproportionate number of deaths caused by Israeli forces, compared to those caused by Palestinian militants during conflict."

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
See the below link and excerpt from 2021.

"For more than a decade, when analysts described the strategy utilized by Israel against Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip, they’ve used a metaphor: With their displays of overwhelming military strength, Israeli forces were “mowing the grass.

The phrase implies the Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip and their supply of crude but effective homemade weapons are like weeds that need to be cut back.

Such tactics have faced significant criticism from international human rights groups, often due to the disproportionate number of deaths caused by Israeli forces, compared to those caused by Palestinian militants during conflict."

Disproportionate... hmmm. How many Syrians have been killed in the last 15 years? How many Yeminis?

I might have missed it, but I have seen zero hand wringing for those deaths on this forum.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Things vary in degree & details.
But it is certainly clear that Israel has spent
70 years robbing, killing, maiming, torturing,
& otherwise abusing Muslims & Palestinians.
It's terrible that you defend this.
Very creative - exponentially so to the point of innequality.

Does it happen? No doubt but horrible that you would defend your position as such

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
See the below link and excerpt from 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/05/14/israel-gaza-history/
Depends on who is doing the labeling and why. I never proposed that, nor do I sanction such language.

Why have you not answered my question, namely what you suggest doing if your family was assaulted and thousands of rockets were continually fired in your direction? If you still are not willing to answer that, then you've answered it anyway.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Depends on who is doing the labeling and why. I never proposed that, nor do I sanction such language.

Why have you not answered my question, namely what you suggest doing if your family was assaulted and thousands of rockets were continually fired in your direction? If you still are not willing to answer that, then you've answered it anyway.
I find it bizarre that posters on RF are supposed to come up with solutions on behalf of Israel. Israel can solve their problem through negotiation, through military action, or however they want--as long as it is within international law. Collective punishment and human rights violations are not within international law. It's their problem, not RF's.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't mean to suggest you did - but you asked me how I knew the IDF was 'mowing the lawn' so I provided the context of how i know such.
I don't believe you've asked me this question in this thread, but please refer me to the post number in which you did if I am mistaken and missed a post.

If they were my children I'd hope my answer would be that I would oppose bombing at a frequency where civilian patterns of life couldn't be taken into consideration, at the very least. Can we agree on that much?

Last edited:

metis

I find it bizarre that posters on RF are supposed to come up with solutions on behalf of Israel. Israel can solve their problem through negotiation, through military action, or however they want--as long as it is within international law. Collective punishment and human rights violations are not within international law. It's their problem, not RF's.
So maybe answer my question and not just walk around it? :shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Very creative - exponentially so to the point of innequality.

Does it happen? No doubt but horrible that you would defend your position as such
Horrible to oppose mass murder, violent conquest,
& human rights violations? You defend those
things because Jews / Israelis are the perpetrators?

metis

I don't believe you've asked me this question in this thread, but please refer me to the post number in which you did if I am mistaken and missed a post.
Sorry as it appears I asked some others but not you.

If they were my children I'd hope my answer would be that I would oppose bombing at a frequency where civilian patterns of life couldn't be taken into consideration, at the very least. Can we agree on that much?
That's an impossible task if one considers the condensation of people, including children, in such a small area. So, with that in consideration, what do you propose next? Remember, missiles are still coming your way.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Horrible to oppose mass murder, violent conquest,
& human rights violations? You defend those
things because Jews / Israelis are the perpetrators?
Very creative - exponentially so to the point of innequality and irrelevancy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Oh…. I thought you were talking about what people had done to the Jews and their continued war crimes and oppression against the people of Israel preventing peace and security.
Who the hell is repressing the Jews?
And keep in mind, Jews =/= Israel amd Israel =/= Jews. Many, many Jews don't live in Israel and it's not only Jews who live in Israel.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
BTW, "Palestine" itself was quite artificial as no such entity existed if one traces it back prior to European colonization.
That holds true for much if the Middle East, a territory with boarders decided by America and some European countries and others who were not of the Middle East or concerned with local traditional views of boarders and who was included with them.

icehorse

Premium Member
Your feeble attempts at whataboutism and refusal to engage with the linked subject matter are noted.
I just started a new thread to discuss relevant context. To me we're all using SOME context to draw our conclusions and to me it's not at all clear how much context is appropriate.

It would seem that you think me bringing up Syria and Yemen is casting too broad of a context, and perhaps you're correct. But in the other thread I'm asking posters to explain how much context they think should be used to make sense of this war.

As for the tone of your post, over the last 100 years the world's best thinkers have found the Israel - Arab impasse to be a seemingly intractable situation. Your apparent certainty about what's what in this situation seems suspect to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Who the hell is repressing the Jews?
And keep in mind, Jews =/= Israel amd Israel =/= Jews. Many, many Jews don't live in Israel and it's not only Jews who live in Israel.
It's the story many many Jews tell themselves.
Understandable, given that Nazi Germany thing.
But it's become twisted into vengeance towards
Muslims with the formation of the "Jewish State".
Now they react to oppression that isn't there
by oppressing Palestinians & attacking Muslims.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just started a new thread to discuss relevant context. To me we're all using SOME context to draw our conclusions and to me it's not at all clear how much context is appropriate.

It would seem that you think me bringing up Syria and Yemen is casting too broad of a context, and perhaps you're correct. But in the other thread I'm asking posters to explain how much context they think should be used to make sense of this war.
Your whataboutism is the most feeble
defense of Israel's apartheid, war crimes,
& human rights violations. All your posts
do is pollute other people's threads.
As for the tone of your post, over the last 100 years the world's best thinkers have found the Israel - Arab impasse to be a seemingly intractable situation.
Best thinkers?
Fools who think the path to peace is for Israel to
brutally oppress Palestinians, commit war crimes,
& attack Iran. These "best thinkers" repeatedly
hope that doing the same thing time after time will
yield different results.

icehorse

Premium Member
Best thinkers?
Fools who think the path to peace is for Israel to
brutally oppress Palestinians, commit war crimes,
& attack Iran. These "best thinkers" repeatedly
hope that doing the same thing time after time will
yield different results.
You ought to send you CV to the UN, I'm sure they would benefit from your deep and thoughtful analysis :rolleyes: