• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there Really only one True Religion?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
There is one true religion. Every known religion describes it but they always leave room for caveats. The true religion is love, that is putting the needs of others before your own. There is no need to bow and scrape, no need to proclamate, no need to need to disseminate. Just love.

Love isn't a main focus in most religions. It isn't in mine, either.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No idea how you got that out of my post.
I got the "every religion has its merits" part from this:

Every religion has seemingly logical arguments for its beliefs. I have no reason to believe that there's one religion that all humans should or even can adhere to.

... and I got the "all of the atheistic and monotheistic ones are based on a falsehood" part from this:
I don't believe there's only one deity, either.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
As written, I agree.
However, using the second sentence, I would surmise that columbus accidentally left out the word "not" in the first sentence.

The sentence says what I meant, although awkwardly.
We humans are born ignorant, needy, fearful and with a package of pre-installed software called instincts. Those instincts cause most of the immoral behavior humans are so prone to. I think this is the true "problem of evil". We can learn to do better, but as we come from God we're little different from our primate ancestors.

Prophets are the humans claiming to have the information God wants us to have, but won't tell us Himself.

Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It is nice to see you again friend Tom

First I would say there are contradictions in that statement.

Hey buddy,
I hope I explained what I meant clearly enough in response to Mestemia. It was very poorly worded and very short. Let me know if you want to discuss it further. I see it as compelling proof that God, as described by Abrahamic religionists, does not exist.

We are in no position to question why God would do this rather than that. This is the way that God chose and we can just study logically what is taught and C
I never question God. What I am questioning is what people say about God. That is very different.
I don't think I know anything important about God, and neither does anybody else. But many people make claims about God, and those I look at very closely. I want to believe what is true.
We do not know that this is the way God chose. It is just the way people claim that God chose.
I do study logically what is taught. So when somebody tells me that God is illogical I don't believe them.

I don't mean to single out Islam for my criticism. I am actually much better at criticizing Christianity because I know it better. But Islam is the topic right now.
Islam is illogical. It rests on illogical claims made by people centuries ago. If God wants people to know something, He doesn't need Muhammed to tell us. I understand that primitive people needed a human to tell them what was going on. They had no concept of mass communication. Now we do.

It is all about proof here. Prophets at there times had miracles and many proofs to prove that they were who they were saying that they are. Still the miracle of our last prophet is here to test. It is the Quraan.
Your explanation for the Quraan is a miracle.
Mine is that Muhammed was a smart, well travelled, strong, cultured man. He was also very very ambitious.
He enjoyed the composing and collecting of oratorical works of poetic art. He especially enjoyed the ones that furthered his ambition to create a kingdom. By the time he was old the collection was enormous. He had his favorites committed to writing, a skill he never had need for. But I doubt that he even composed all of them, I expect that many were gifts from people who wanted to please him. In that time and place gifts to Muhammed were a really good idea.
So it is more rational to think that Muhammed collected poems that became the Quraan, rather than had them delivered in a cave by an angel.

Islam doesn't teach that. Where you got this from
Yes, Islam does teach that there were many prophets prior to Muhammed. They just failed to get the Message from God accurately delivered to the rest of us people.

It is neither of these. I will quote Jesus peace be upon him. Seek the truth with your heart and the truth will free you.
I think it is the first, there is no God who cares what humans do or think or what happens to them. But the fact that most people do not believe Islam is undeniable. Perhaps you have another alternative.

I suggest you look for explanation for that. For a true religion, there must always be answers for questions like that.
I have one. No religion has much to do with God. Islam makes it's human origins particularly clear. Muhammeds followers couldn't have known how much we know now, so they believed it. But most of us, around 80% of the human race at least, do not.
Muhammed did not bring God's Truth to the human family.

The question was Is there really one true religion. I answered with YES. That means I believe that there is one religion that is still the true Word of God. Quraan as we know today is the same Quraan we know since it was revealed. And I agree there are some people trying to make the Quraan say something that it doesn't say. But that is there problem and God will judge them accordingly.

That surely counts for something.
Let me go back here to something you said earlier in your post. You said "Seek the truth with your heart and the truth will free you." I've been around a while and seen people do a lot of things. People who believe with their hearts and ignore their brains are often extremely sincere, certain, and completely and utterly wrong.
That is true in love, war, and especially religion. You may be absolutely convinced that you know Islam better than ISIS, but I see no reason whatsoever to agree with you.

Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You've added a judgement where there is none.

Isn't the judgement a logical implication? If I believe "X is true," then this implies that I should believe that anyone who believes "X is false" is wrong. If I don't make this judgement, it's only because I haven't fully explored my position. No?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Isn't the judgement a logical implication? If I believe "X is true," then this implies that I should believe that anyone who believes "X is false" is wrong. If I don't make this judgement, it's only because I haven't fully explored my position. No?

The point is that you were reading into my post an implication that isn't there and that isn't intended. That says more about you than it does about me. That's all I have to say about that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The point is that you were reading into my post an implication that isn't there and that isn't intended. That says more about you than it does about me. That's all I have to say about that.

So you believe that polytheism is right without believing that monotheism is wrong? Well, I suppose you wouldn't be the first person to compartmentalize.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
So you believe that polytheism is right without believing that monotheism is wrong? Well, I suppose you wouldn't be the first person to compartmentalize.

You know, I'm really not sure what the hell your point is in interrogating me over such trivialities. Seems like you're trying to start a fight where there is none. Of course if someone is a polytheist, they're going to think that monotheism and atheism are incorrect. If someone is a monotheist, they're going to think that polytheism and atheism are incorrect. If someone is an atheist, they're going to think that monotheism and polytheism are incorrect.

You're an atheist, so you think monotheism and polytheism are wrong. So what?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't know. I don't think so. And if there is, I doubt it's any religious currently being worshipped on this earth.
I'm more amused by the idea that human animals have the temerity to think any of their ideas of god/religion are correct. We do have an innate penchant for flattering ourselves.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You know, I'm really not sure what the hell your point is in interrogating me over such trivialities. Seems like you're trying to start a fight where there is none. Of course if someone is a polytheist, they're going to think that monotheism and atheism are incorrect. If someone is a monotheist, they're going to think that polytheism and atheism are incorrect. If someone is an atheist, they're going to think that monotheism and polytheism are incorrect.

You're an atheist, so you think monotheism and polytheism are wrong. So what?

I'm not trying to pick on you; your position just struck me as an example of something that's relevant to the thread: when religious believers engage in ecumenicalism, there's often a cognitive dissonance that gets set up. They'll claim to respect the beliefs of a person of another religion while still proclaiming beliefs that imply that the other person is wrong. Something doesn't add up.

To shift the focus off of you specifically, take Queen Elizabeth and the Pope. They're both heads of Christian churches. Elizabeth's church, as a matter of doctrine, proclaims that the Pope is the Antichrist and a "son of perdition". Why would the Queen meet with the Antichrist? The fact that she did implies (to me, at least) that she doesn't actually believe that particular tenet of her faith.

What I'm getting at is that usually, believing devoutly in one's own faith is incompatible with respecting the faith of others, and respecting the faith of others is associated with watering-down of one's own faith.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What I'm getting at is that usually, believing devoutly in one's own faith is incompatible with respecting the faith of others, and respecting the faith of others is associated with watering-down of one's own faith.
Which is precisely why I caution non-Muslims for patting Muslims on the head. By fawning over Islam, people unwittingly erode the ground they are standing on.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm more amused by the idea that human animals have the temerity to think any of their ideas of god/religion are correct. We do have an innate penchant for flattering ourselves.
I think the temerity only goes one way.

Personally, I think that the very idea that the most powerful force in the universe cares deeply about human beings and what they do smacks of hubris. The opposite view - that the universe doesn't seem to care about us at all - isn't audacious at all.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I'm not trying to pick on you; your position just struck me as an example of something that's relevant to the thread: when religious believers engage in ecumenicalism, there's often a cognitive dissonance that gets set up. They'll claim to respect the beliefs of a person of another religion while still proclaiming beliefs that imply that the other person is wrong. Something doesn't add up.

To shift the focus off of you specifically, take Queen Elizabeth and the Pope. They're both heads of Christian churches. Elizabeth's church, as a matter of doctrine, proclaims that the Pope is the Antichrist and a "son of perdition". Why would the Queen meet with the Antichrist? The fact that she did implies (to me, at least) that she doesn't actually believe that particular tenet of her faith.

Ah. But I'm not sure that that really applies to me. I don't believe in any "one true god" or "one true religion". Seems like a criticism that's more directed towards monotheists who make the claim that their religion is the only true one. Or are you saying that anyone who holds an opinion in regards to theism or spirituality doesn't really believe in freedom of belief? I'm sorry, I'm kinda confused over what exactly you're saying. :shrug: