• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kick Rock shoots "woke" beer.

Kfox

It is all free publicity. Both for Anheuser Busch and the far right beer (they do not seem to realize that fascism is on the far right).
You don't need to be a far right fanatic to have issues with many of the transgender issues going on today.
Both companies will profit from it since anything that raises public awareness of a product tends to help it. I am thinking that A B will profit quite a bit more.
Did public awareness of Enron tend to help it? Did public awareness of the issue with Papa John help his restaurant? There are countless cases of public awareness having a negative affect on business.

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Did public awareness of Enron tend to help it? Did public awareness of the issue with Papa John help his restaurant? There are countless cases of public awareness having a negative affect on business.

For transgender issues, though, there's a lot of support amongst younger generations. I bet Budweiser is banking on the future.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Controversy does not always sell. A quick look into the real world and you will see countless instances where controversy has lead to damaging companies, even driving them out of business. No my friend; controversy is not always a good thing.
That tends to be when they are real things to complain about rather than butt hurt parents and political partisans.
Here's the difference.
Enron was scramming, lying, cheating and defrauding a lot of people.
John Schnatter was unapologetic about saying racist and misogynist things.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
For transgender issues, though, there's a lot of support amongst younger generations. I bet Budweiser is banking on the future.
They're not drinking Budweiser and aren't going to start. Only poor white people (aka rednecks) and frat boys drink that crap. Hence the backlash.

Kfox

That tends to be when they are real things to complain about rather than butt hurt parents and political partisans.
Who decides what is a real thing to complain about? You? Or the person complaining.
Here's the difference.
Enron was scramming, lying, cheating and defrauding a lot of people.
John Schnatter was unapologetic about saying racist and misogynist things.
How does this difference support your claim that all publicity is good for business?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
There are people for and against among all generations concerning this issue.

Sure, but the "for" outweighs the "against" in this case. And amongst the "against" there will always be people who are not fans, but do support freedom to be who you are regardless of personal views and so aren't going to care.

It makes sense for companies to support LGBTQ rights. Hence why it's going to be hard for folks against Bud Light to find a large domestic beer company that hasn't supported these issues.

Kfox

Sure, but the "for" outweighs the "against" in this case. And amongst the "against" there will always be people who are not fans, but do support freedom to be who you are regardless of personal views and so aren't going to care.
Whenever I look at youtube videos of transgender women competing against biological women in sports, or transgender women in women’s locker rooms, the comments of the video are mostly against the transgender ideology.
It makes sense for companies to support LGBTQ rights. Hence why it's going to be hard for folks against Bud Light to find a large domestic beer company that hasn't supported these issues.
The problem with LBGTQ is not all of the LGB are in agreement with the T or everything under the umbrella of Q. I know there is an effort to conflate them as one, but they are not; nor are they all in agreement.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
Kid Rock brought attention to the issue. I personally have never seen the commercial, the only way I heard about any of this is from people talking about it. The more attention brought to this issue, the more people will know and talk about it; and this added attention could result in many people who otherwise might have never heard about it, reacting to this issue in a way they would not have otherwise.

Kid Rock brought attention to Kid Rock -- which was his goal all along.

Besides, bringing attention to the "issue" doesn't guarantee a boycott. People might side with Bud Light over a has-been rapper, and buy the beer out of spite.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
The problem with LBGTQ is not all of the LGB are in agreement with the T or everything under the umbrella of Q. I know there is an effort to conflate them as one, but they are not; nor are they all in agreement.
Nor are all the Ls big fans of the Bs or the Gs. And some white people hate being grouped into the category of "human" with non-white people. Not everyone has to 100% agree uniformly like an amorphous blob in order for their grouping together in certain contexts to be an overall social benefit.

Being upset that your particular letter happens to be mentioned often with somebody else's letter is the height of childishness. Please stop pretending to care about it.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
They're not drinking Budweiser and aren't going to start. Only poor white people (aka rednecks) and frat boys drink that crap. Hence the backlash.

An example of a corporation abandoning/offending it's base in an effort to appeal to those who never liked them in the first place.

I'd be willing to bet the product has seen some decline in recent years. This very well could be the company attempting to expand beyond a declining base when there's much tastier beer being made these days.

Time will tell. I predict Bud Light will live through the controversy and even bars that are boycotting will start restocking in a month or so.

Afterall, most other large domestic beer companies have promoted LGBTQ in the past.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You don't need to be a far right fanatic to have issues with many of the transgender issues going on today.

Enron was not in the business of selling goods directly to consumers. Transgender is a new problem for society. It will take some time to work everything out. That is still not an excuse for transphobia.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah, I know she's fictional, a brand mascot. That was over a century ago. She hasn't looked like a "mammy" in decades, just a grandmotherly black woman. And who was thinking about slavery over this? I know I wasn't. It's pancakes, ffs. This is much ado about nothing.
The way you're going on about it suggests it isn't "nothing" to you.

Did you react this way to other brands getting rid of their mascots? Domino's "the Noid," maybe? Spuds McKenzie?

Is the only time you get worked up about a product rebrand when it involves a company trying to make themselves a bit less racist?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How does this difference support your claim that all publicity is good for business?
Oh, it doesn't.

Look at Kid Rock: the more publicity he gets for being right wing fringe, the worse his albums do.

He had a decent number of hits back in 1999 to early 2000s, but hasn't managed to get onto the Billboard Hot 100 since he endorsed Trump during Trump's first presidential campaign.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Same thing happened with Keurig coffee machines a few years ago:

And those things cost more than beer!
And I'm sure that @Kfox can show us how this boycott made Keurig's parent company's profit, share price, or something go down.