• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man sentenced to death for sorcery.

Basically, on the Qur'an and the Sunnah. Plus, It's known that some persons can do some stuff that can harm others out there mainly by contacting with the Jinn I believe (I can't believe I am defending this kind of things now). Another thing like al hasad (destructive envy); wishing that a blessing that Allah has bestowed on the envied person be taken away can be observed but is it possible to be verified scientifically? I don't know. But I do believe in hasad. I can observe it. There are phenomena that happen in our world and can't be explained in the light of the currently known laws of science, am I the only one who believe this?
If it can't be verified, then you don't really know for sure what you are observing. The students in the following video thought they read a very accurate description of themselves from an astrologer. They were only able to realize the truth by putting their observations in the context of a clever experiment, with hilarious results ....

[youtube]3Dp2Zqk8vHw[/youtube]
YouTube - James Randi on Astrology

not4me said:
I don't disagree with you here. There are these stories about persons who are sick and possessed by jinn. A sheikh or a fraud claims to know how to heal such person and force the jinn to leave their bodies and during the treatment session, the possessed person scream and make crazy movements...you know all these crazy things...I am wondering about the truth of such things and I don't believe in them at the same time but I do believe in the presence of Jinn, just like I do believe in the presence of angels or heaven and hell, all this is a part of my belief in the unseen based on God's revelation.
Fair enough, and I'm glad we're on the same page that there is a lot of fraud, but also a lot of people accidentally fooling themselves, out there. Now what about this: if you're going to convict someone of casting an evil spell or something, you have to prove they actually did it, it wasn't just fraud or imagination, and your proof should meet rigorous, scientific standards of evidence (just like proving any other crime). Do you agree with me there, as well?

kai

ragamuffin
Even what we call Magic in the west like show-business are unlawful. What i am wondering is have the Saudis somehow elevated themselves to religiously policing all Muslims?

.lava

Veteran Member
This is a good question. What exactly constitutes sorcery according to Islam. Which practices are forbidden?

astrology is not sorcery and by sorcery i don't mean ordinary people who only think they are doing magic. sorcery is a real thing and people who's expert on that stuff would not write on forums and make freinds. they are busy outside making money and they are rich people in general. astrology on the other hand is originally part of science. in it's original version which is taught to human by a Prophet is study of planets, their movements...etc. usage of astrology today is nothing but a circus show. there are people who would not leave their home before they read what their newspaper say about their signs. that's just a side effect of corruption. damage is personal. if a person acts upon what these signs say, then he is wasting his time. because we have free wills and even though some part of reality is about destiny but it is not depend on planets and stars and personality and future of a human being can not be limited or designed by universe because universe is not God or a desicion maker for us. this is why usage of astrology this way is not welcomed very much

.lava

Veteran Member
I just thought there is some kind of distinction between astrology and magic. Honestly, I don't know more than what is contained in the links I posted.

there is my friend. once upon a time people used certain knowledge and they even built pyramids according to movements of planets and sun. but today, there is only one side of it used by people and that would be astrology. it is not sorcery but it is not a useful science either. it just gives people silly ideas such as "when will you meet love of your life?" "how's you day going to be like today?"...etc as if our lives were depend on movements of objects in the sky, we have no free wills or certain destinies that's given by God. some people take this astrological signs very seriously and their daily horoscopes is like their guide in life

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What beliefs here? You are talking about MUSLIM societies and as I said before, every Muslim society has every right to protect itself against moral corruption according to the Islamic definitions and you can't take this right, if you liked or not.
No, I don't think they do have that right.

IMO, a religious community only has the right to impose rules and codes of behaviour as long as it's voluntary... i.e. as long as people are free to leave if they disagree with them. A person is not necessarily free to leave their country, because they cannot leave unless they can find another country that will take them. Therefore, those rules and codes of behaviour cannot be assumed to be voluntarily accepted by all people living under them.

A society has the right to pass laws for the protection and benefit of its people, but laws against "sorcery" do not fall into that category.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
TV presenter gets death sentence for 'sorcery' - CNN.com

It's rather embarrassing that such a culture still exists in the modern world.

what is this modern world that you speak of?

sorcery, especially "predicting the future and giving people advice" is punishable with death in islam and if this man was a muslim he would know that by doing such a thing he is infact making himself equal to Allah (swt). Allah has no partners.

threads like this one and comments like yours are very telling just how modern you "modern people" are. i thought modern people were against ignorance, yet here we are.

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Must not be a very good sorceror if he didn't see this coming.

it is ironic how he was giving futuristic advice to his audience and failed to give advice to himself not to engage in sorcery and not to make Umrah.
what a pathetic idiot.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
The most despicable thing about this is that he was on a religious pilgramage, and he's not even safe in an Islamic state.

islam forbids sorcery. why does your country not make the home of a criminal his safe haven? it is despicble that a criminal isn't safe in his own home.

Kerr

what is this modern world that you speak of?

sorcery, especially "predicting the future and giving people advice" is punishable with death in islam and if this man was a muslim he would know that by doing such a thing he is infact making himself equal to Allah (swt). Allah has no partners.
Didn´t know you considered your deity to be that weak.

threads like this one and comments like yours are very telling just how modern you "modern people" are. i thought modern people were against ignorance, yet here we are.
"Modern people" tend to be against it, yes, which also means they tend to realize what he did was not a matter of actual magic. It was a trick that only appear as magic before you know how it is done.

Besides, even if magic exists it does not justify the death penalty to use it.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Didn´t know you considered your deity to be that weak.

nice statement kerr.

so your government is weak by punishing the wrong doers? or your parents are weak if someone wanted to hurt you and they instead knock the crap out of him. thats weak right?

"Modern people" tend to be against it, yes, which also means they tend to realize what he did was not a matter of actual magic. It was a trick that only appear as magic before you know how it is done.

Besides, even if magic exists it does not justify the death penalty to use it.

if modern people are against ignorance then why is every non-muslim in this thread against that mans captrue when islam openly and clearly condemns sorcery? weren't you guys sort of mean to read the islamic perspective on sorcery and then comment?

right he was lying about actually seeing the future. islam discourages lying and idle talk that has nothing to do with anything. his lying could some how by chance worked out for someone and there goes a believer becoming a disbeliever by believeing him. which infact we are back to what i said, he is making himself equal to Allah most high.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Makes me appreciate we are not living in a theocracy. It's chilling to think such a thing as religious police exist in some countries armed with the power to arrest, imprison, and systematically kill people simply because they don't happen to fit into a particular belief structure.

you don't even know the role of the religious police. tell me what things to the religious police prohibit? what are their duties?

he does fit into the particular belief structure thats why he went to Umrah. it's either islam or sorcery, you can't hold to watermelons with one hand.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Wizard's first rule.

[edit]I'll post a link for those interested. It's a great book: The Sword of Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have watched Legend of the seeker but only the first half hour because it was on past my bedtime but I pull it up on the internet sometimes. I have one of Terry Goodkind's books but I don't enjoy him as much RObert Jordan with his Wheel of Time series.

A real sorcerer would form a gateway out of prison and still be laughing back in Lebanon.

You would think if he were smart enough to be a sorcerer, he would be smart enough not to be a Muslim.

Kerr

nice statement kerr.

so your government is weak by punishing the wrong doers? or your parents are weak if someone wanted to hurt you and they instead knock the crap out of him. thats weak right?
No, I think you misunderstood. I meant you said they made themselves equal to your deity... but if you can make yourself equal to your deity by being able to do that, then he does not appear to be that strong to me. Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant?

Kerr

if modern people are against ignorance then why is every non-muslim in this thread against that mans captrue when islam openly and clearly condemns sorcery? weren't you guys sort of mean to read the islamic perspective on sorcery and then comment?
I am against the death penalty no matter if it is the islamic perspective or not.

right he was lying about actually seeing the future. islam discourages lying and idle talk that has nothing to do with anything. his lying could some how by chance worked out for someone and there goes a believer becoming a disbeliever by believeing him. which infact we are back to what i said, he is making himself equal to Allah most high.
So you think that someone deserves the death penalty if they make someone disbelieve or make themselves "equal" to the deity you happen to believe in? And how can you say that your deity is that high if you can make yourself equal to him?