• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is incorrect with those people who drink alcohol?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Nations who allow alcohol are breading murderers 3 times faster then nations who bread terrorists.

The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 million. A person is as likely to be killed by his or her own furniture, and more likely to die in a car accident, drown in a bathtub, or in a building fire than from a terrorist attack.

(edit:In USA)
• One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving
• Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes
• Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities
• Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash

Drunk Driving Facts - Drunk Driving Statistics
Aahhhh! ....... you worry about us ..... how sweet of you.... :)
But Jesus enjoyed his meat and drink, both with friends and sinners.....
I do love gin with tonic, and gluiness, and an occasional bourbon. It is not drink that causes car crashes, but the idiots who are irresponsible and drink/drive.

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, maybe you right, there is about 1.25 million people die from car accidents world wide. So, the number 400,000 seems reasonable.

I just did 16,000 (number of deaths in the USA) divided by 0.043 (proportion of global population that resides in the USA).

JogHead

Nations who allow alcohol are breading murderers 3 times faster then nations who bread terrorists.

The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 million. A person is as likely to be killed by his or her own furniture, and more likely to die in a car accident, drown in a bathtub, or in a building fire than from a terrorist attack.

JogHead

Jesus got it wrong when he changed water into alcohol. He would have been smarter to change alcohol into water.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Makes sense, yeah. There has to be an opening for it to get in and be doing damage, so to speak, but once it's in there it starts making that opening bigger. For example, within my own immediate family there were people obviously needing something to come to alcohol, but if that hadn't been there I think they would have got over it and not got into that negative spiral.
Yeah exactly. In saying that though it does depend on the person. Some people like my "uncle" can drink all night and even drink themselves sober, others need only get a whiff of the stuff before problems start.
Like everything in this world it has it's good and bad points. I mean people eat their feelings away (temporarily) and suffer for it all their lives. In America, at least what I've seen, there's like 20 fast food places every kilometre. I'd argue their bigger problem is food. Even their normal portion sizes in restaurants are like double what you'd get here and even (at least the places I went to) in Britain!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Why? Is it not a good tool to use?
Diesel cars will be banned in large cities soon. I can foresee internal combustion vehicles only being allowed for essential services and the electric vehicle taking over.

But alcohol is fine when used in moderation, just like most other 'things'.

If you don't want to dronk alcohol then don't, but please please let's not allow any self righteous judgemental freaks control our lives by banning alcohol. In fact I hope that cannabis can soon be made legal so that it can be taxed, drug gangs be put out of business and police time be spent on more important matters.

HeatherAnn

Yeah exactly. In saying that though it does depend on the person. Some people like my "uncle" can drink all night and even drink themselves sober, others need only get a whiff of the stuff before problems start.
Like everything in this world it has it's good and bad points. I mean people eat their feelings away (temporarily) and suffer for it all their lives. In America, at least what I've seen, there's like 20 fast food places every kilometre. I'd argue their bigger problem is food. Even their normal portion sizes in restaurants are like double what you'd get here and even (at least the places I went to) in Britain!
Good point - heart disease is the #1 killer in the US.
Still, since the topic is alcohol...
I've seen many people do stupid things when under the influence.
Personally, I believe and live by the idea that when you drink alcohol, your judgment is impaired - as cops will tell you which is why you can't drink & drive legally.
So, I have to be in certain situations for me to be ok with my judgement being impaired - like not being responsible for kids etc.
The biggest problem I see besides drunk-driving is drunk parenting. Parenting is hard enough even with your judgement as intact as possible!

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Good point - heart disease is the #1 killer in the US.
Still, since the topic is alcohol...
I've seen many people do stupid things when under the influence.
Personally, I believe and live by the idea that when you drink alcohol, your judgment is impaired - as cops will tell you which is why you can't drink & drive legally.
So, I have to be in certain situations for me to be ok with my judgement being impaired - like not being responsible for kids etc.
The biggest problem I see besides drunk-driving is drunk parenting. Parenting is hard enough even with your judgement as intact as possible!

I wouldn't advocate drinking and driving. As for drunk parenting, eh, the Irish have managed for generations. ;)
Only kidding. Though I grew up around drinking parents (not always drunk, just drinking) I survived. Everything in moderation, know your limits and you should be okay.

Kirran

Premium Member
Only kidding. Though I grew up around drinking parents (not always drunk, just drinking) I survived. Everything in moderation, know your limits and you should be okay.

I survived too! But that doesn't mean I'd ever do it to my own kids.

HeatherAnn

I wouldn't advocate drinking and driving. As for drunk parenting, eh, the Irish have managed for generations. ;)
Well, we each have our own opinions.
Personally, although I occasionally (rarely) drink - it's never around my kids.
I want to be there for them 100% for the short time I'm in charge of them.
The Irish and others don't have much influence on my decision in this regard. ;)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, we each have our own opinions.
Personally, although I occasionally (rarely) drink - it's never around my kids.
I want to be there for them 100% for the short time I'm in charge of them.
The Irish and others don't have much influence on my decision in this regard. ;)
It was just a joke. Over here a glass of wine with dinner is a kind of "hangover" of our European/UK roots. I stayed with my uncle and Aunty during High School occasionally and well I had a lot more wine than usual, let's just say.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I survived too! But that doesn't mean I'd ever do it to my own kids.
I think it's important to show children responsible drinking habits. A glass of wine with friends, saying no to too much and showing kids that alcohol doesn't have to be consumed to the point of puking to enjoy it. Otherwise they'll learn alcohol consumption from their peers in High School. And well, if you're in Australia, would you really think it wise for one's children to learn alcohol consumption from a bunch of kids who think Goon (cheap cask wine) is a suitable drink?

Oh god the goon. I had a glass at my friends' 25th out of nostalgia as a laugh. I have never in my life turned towards real wine so fast. I don't even drink wine! Blech.

Kirran

Premium Member
Oh god the goon. I had a glass at my friends' 25th out of nostalgia as a laugh. I have never in my life turned towards real wine so fast. Blech.

Haha, I started off drinking cheap ciders. Strongbow was a good staple when I was 14-15. Never picked up anything from my parents' drinking habits, if I'm honest haha