• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are So Many Cops Dumb?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Basically the path of least hassle for those running the show. And who cares about being sued, it is just tax payer money.
And that is a nasty problem. Until the police have to pay for their own misdeeds I doubt things change in any meaningful way.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Jordan sued for discrimination but to no avail. Here's what a federal court ruled;
The U.S. District Court found that New London had "shown a rational basis for the policy." In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.
Too smart for police work, "Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test."
The fascinating thing about this is that central quote: there's a "rational basis for the policy," but it also "might be unwise." Note that working that out depends on what you think is more important -- reducing job turnover, or having police officers bright enough to do the job in complex and unpredictable situation.

averageJOE

zombie
And that is a nasty problem. Until the police have to pay for their own misdeeds I doubt things change in any meaningful way.
And this is what I've been saying for about 5 years now.

To see meaningful and almost instant change: 1. End qualified immunity. 2. Make cops pay for their own liability insurance. 3 Make a percentage of settlements come from their pensions and department budget. 4. Investigations will continue and follow a cop even if they resign.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
That's just not the case. At all.
Amd try actually reading. Rev has not put forth an idea that all cops should be of a high intelligence but rather its bogus they exclude those of a high intelligence.
I knew that without reading hahaha

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since when did 125 IQ become slightly above average?
125 was an unacceptably high level.
The threshold was lower by some unspecified amount.
Which police departments exclude such people?
I've no record of that.
And how do you know that alone was the reason for their exclusion?
The court case cited.
What percentage of cops are unaware of these things?
I've no record of that.
And how do you know the ones that appear to not know, do know but are just being jerks and breaking the rules?
I addressed that in several posts.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One problem I see is those with a lower IQ are more likely to be integrated into the cop culture.
Also you watch some of these Youtube videos and the police often don't seem to understand the law too well.

The first year they get assigned a training officer so the department culture just gets passed down.

Basically the path of least hassle for those running the show. And who cares about being sued, it is just tax payer money.
Most cops have fairly low pay, less than a carpenter.
So with the intelligent ones excluded, it definitely
skews recruitment to dumb people & bullies who
can't get a better job.
That's far too much power to give the inadequately
trained & controlled dregs of society.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The fascinating thing about this is that central quote: there's a "rational basis for the policy," but it also "might be unwise." Note that working that out depends on what you think is more important -- reducing job turnover, or having police officers bright enough to do the job in complex and unpredictable situation.
Clearly, reducing turnover is more important than
public safety. However, there is beginning to be
some turnover due to dumb cops being sentenced
to prison for illegal acts. As this number increases
(I hope), perhaps seeking intelligent cops will be
a way to increase retention.

Sargonski

I recall the IQ issue from a while ago, but recently ran across this article....
Excerpted....

Jordan sued for discrimination but to no avail. Here's what a federal court ruled:

Too smart for police work, "Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test."

@Wu Wei might find it fascinating that even a lowly engineer
would be rejected as too smart to be a cop. An interesting
aspect of the average 104 IQ claim is that this means that
nearly half of cops are below average (100 IQ).
So we're giving a couple hundred thousand below average
intelligence people a gun & a license to kill to civilians.
And this after training that's less than what's required
to be a mechanic, real estate agent, or cosmetologist.
Ref....

I think there is a genuine case to be made for dumber than average as at least a good 50% of the force is there because they are no good at nothing else .. Gov't work with a Gun ..

Anecdotally -- albeit I would say enough to have moved into statistical relevance -- Every damn woman I have met .. who has dated a cop says the same thing-- and I have many many female aquiaintences over many decades .. to have accumulated quite a sample size over the years ..

Now one day .. I will find one to contradict .. but it won't matter .. cause that will be 1 in 20 .. and sure .. exceptions to every rule .. but this RULE .. was that they were all control freaks-- One gal I know .. met cop online dating . was telling me about .. said the classic "What are you thinking" you know the RULE --- which she did "I know but but but" he seems so nice ... yadda who. .. things go well .. move in together .. 9 months later .. "Told ya So" .. then .. She did it again .. another cop --- this time shorter though .. 5 months or something .. Same thing .. another control freak story.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Investigations will continue and follow a cop even if they resign.
I think the practice of police investigating themselves must also end amd be subjected to something similar to an Institution Review Board for medical amd scientific research.

Kfox

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If 130 is considered gifted, I doubt 125 would be considered slightly above average.

Then perhaps you shouldn't go acting as if this is something that applies to all cops

Address it in this one.
Your posts are repetitive.
I've answered them.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If 130 is considered gifted, I doubt 125 would be considered slightly above average.

Then perhaps you shouldn't go acting as if this is something that applies to all cops

Address it in this one.
IQ Percentile Calculator - convert your IQ score to percentile

Using that you'll find that roughly 1 in 20 random people you meet are at or above 125 in IQ.

(Note the "random". People on RF are a self selected group and don't represent the population. I.e. 125 may be slightly above average here.)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Clearly, reducing turnover is more important than
public safety. However, there is beginning to be
some turnover due to dumb cops being sentenced
to prison for illegal acts. As this number increases
(I hope), perhaps seeking intelligent cops will be
a way to increase retention.
The real problem, I think, is not that applicants with a high IQ are rejected, it's that applicants with a low IQ are accepted.
A cop should at least have the ability to contemplate the repercussions of their actions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The real problem, I think, is not that applicants with a high IQ are rejected, it's that applicants with a low IQ are accepted.
A cop should at least have the ability to contemplate the repercussions of their actions.
The lack of intelligent cops still poses a big problem
of not having any to rise thru the ranks to be in charge.
So it's the dumb leading the dumb.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
New video....
Police chief illegally orders a man to leave his town or be arrested.
In this case is "dumb" about the chief's ignorance or tyranny?
The video provides legal analysis. This & other videos created
a stir in the town of Turtle Lake WI. The chief soon retired.