• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did God create evil?

javajo

Thanks! Been a member for quite a while but forgot my pass word. Had to re register. God is a construct of the human mind to me so I'm not trying to be clever, just honest. Trying to get back in to the swing of things here at RF.:)
Roger that! :)

cottage

Simple answer: god created evil because man created god to explain evil. Glad to be of service.

That's probably quite near the mark. The fact of evil is a downright inconvenience for most religions. It cannot be denied and so it has to be accommodated, hence we have all manner of theodical contrivances and ultimately a contradiction that cannot be assailed.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The source is human subjectivity. Everyone has their own opinion on right and wrong, good and bad.

Darkness is good? Also with nothing to compare good to, his statement is meaningless. It also makes him boastful.

As being the opposite of the good :rolleyes:

Before God created anything ;)

Gotta drop that duality thinking to get it.
Good luck.

omega

God did not creat evil.
The word wor "evil" can also be translated 'calamity h" whichmost translations do.
omega

strikeviperMKII

Thanks! Been a member for quite a while but forgot my pass word. Had to re register. God is a construct of the human mind to me so I'm not trying to be clever, just honest. Trying to get back in to the swing of things here at RF.:)

You're saying God (or any other god, for that matter. I assume you meant the Abrahamic God) is relative? And yet every culture, without exception has constructed a deity (or deities). Why a deity?

And, if you look closely at world religions, there are more than just passing similarities between them, even ones developed independently.

Skwim

Veteran Member
God did not creat evil.
The word wor "evil" can also be translated 'calamity h" whichmost translations do.
omega
From a previous post here, which you obviously missed.

Those bibles translating "ra" Isaiah 45:7 as

"EVIL"
KJV
ASV
YLT
Darby
Webster's
Hebrew
"CALAMITY
NKJ
ESV
NAS
"WOE"
RSV
"BAD TIMES"
NLT
"DISASTER
NIV
Obviously "evil" is clearly the favored translation, garnering half (6) of the 12. (taken from all the English language Bibles listed in the Blue Letter Bible site.)

"Calamity," only garnering 25%, is hardly the front runner, whereas "evil," with 50% is the winner from the list.

You're saying God (or any other god, for that matter. I assume you meant the Abrahamic God) is relative? And yet every culture, without exception has constructed a deity (or deities). Why a deity?

And, if you look closely at world religions, there are more than just passing similarities between them, even ones developed independently.

Sorry , don't know what you mean by god is relative. Every culture constructed a diety because we are all humans with the same need to find some explaination of the world we live in. In the absence of scientific knowlegde man turned to religion , superstition, whatever you want to call it. It's really very simple.
If you take it to the next step, religion can be used to get people to do what you want by convincing them that god is displeased with what they do. After the need for an explaination to the meaning of exsistance, some desire power over others.
This is true of all humans in all cultures.
To me, exsistance is merely random chance and that doesn't bother me in the least. I live , respect others right to live and someday i will poof out of exsistance.:D